Riding street damage an enduro bike?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Riding street damage an enduro bike?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 9, 2018 at 8:59 Quote
Hi, so I have a 2017 Fuji Auric, a 160mm/160mm enduro/AM bike and I have been riding a ton of street lately, and I was wondering if things like trials, big hucks to flat, and bombing down stairs etc.. Does this cause damage to the bike? I know that there is little to hurt a modern mountain bike, but does riding street cause damage? I ride for about an hour every day of the week sometimes more, every time doing some sort of hard landings or impacts. So do I need to worry about damaging my bike, or do I just ride like I have been, tone it down a little, or what? Thanks in advance

Posted: Feb 11, 2018 at 17:56 Quote
So the short answer would be "yes, that kind of riding will accelerate wear on a good number of components."

The long answer is that hard bottom-outs, square edge impacts, and the general harshness of concrete and asphalt contribute to higher-than-average-trail-ride forces interacting with all parts of your bike. And furthermore all parts of your bike are subject to fatigue. I've beaten up my fair share of bikes doing exactly what you describe in my day.

HOWEVER

A bicycle is a tool to achieve an end, and if some urban freeride is what you're into and you're ok with replacing and servicing some things more often (suspension, pivots/bearings, rims, etc.) then I'd say keep at it. Your bike isn't going to last forever anyway and that kind of riding will help improve your skills overall. I've been missing some good ol' stair drops myself lately.

TLDR: you will probably damage your bike, but don't worry about it.

Posted: Feb 11, 2018 at 18:59 Quote
Also depends on what you mean by trials. My friend who grew up freestyling in the 80s had to finally stop riding that way on his FS bike.

He kept breaking the rear on bikes because FS just aren't designed for those types of side loads.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 8:48 Quote
Yeah, that makes sense, how often should I be servicing things? I've had the bike for like 5 months now and a ton of miles on it so should I service something, or do I do it when something doesn't feel right? Also, what damage does bottoming out cause? And by trials, it is just pivots and pedal kicks off of drops so no side hops or like hopping on the rear wheel only cause I'm not that good yet. Thank you guys though

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 9:41 Quote
jamesashton2 wrote:
Yeah, that makes sense, how often should I be servicing things? I've had the bike for like 5 months now and a ton of miles on it so should I service something, or do I do it when something doesn't feel right? Also, what damage does bottoming out cause? And by trials, it is just pivots and pedal kicks off of drops so no side hops or like hopping on the rear wheel only cause I'm not that good yet. Thank you guys though

Bottoming out is probably going to cause pretty much everything to break more often because of the harsh impact to the suspension and wheels.

Personally, I destroy rear wheels doing things like that, but I imagine it would probably wear suspension bushings and bearings rather quickly, too.

Either way, ride your bike and don't worry about it.

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 10:07 Quote
Okay yeah, will do so is it just good to run the suspension harder so I don't bottom as much and service when it feels like it needs it?

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 10:55 Quote
As you already know, I ride street/trial very often with my FS... I can't tell you if I damage my bike faster than if I was only riding trails, but everything that I broke has become a great opportunity to upgrade !!

I mostly broke (a lot of) Shimano rear brakes (thats why I upgraded for Hope E4), rear hubs (upgraded for Hope Pro 4), bottoms bracket (25$/each few time a year), dented rims (still ridable), headset bearing each year, and a lot of flat tires.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:42 Quote
Yeah okay, thanks again man and I guess I see that cause if something does go wrong then I can upgrade which may be better for mtb riding anyways. Thank you

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014631
Mobile Version of Website