Trek VS Orbea

PB Forum :: 29ers
Trek VS Orbea
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 9, 2018 at 15:08 Quote
Hi All,

I need a bit of help with my next bike. Trek Fuel 8 or Orbea Occam TR H10. I have about $6000, Aus dollars.Any feedback will be a great help to me. Thanks in advance.

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 at 9:19 Quote
I have an Orbea Occam TR and love it. The lifetime warranty is worth it in its own right. It rides great and handles where I ride perfectly (Pisgah). I have a 140 Pike on mine and it is such a fun trailbike.

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 21:58 Quote
I also love my Occam, and highly recommend the Rallon.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 12:01 Quote
I am literally mulling over the exact same two bikes. Had a Trek xc bike (8500?) years ago and loved it, and I've heard nothing but good things about the latest Fuel Ex 8 . I know Trek are 'big brand' and for some reason that attracts some negative feelings among riders. Not sure why.

Orbea Occam TR was not even on my radar until a friend suggested it.

I've not been able to ride either bike yet. From what I've read this year's Fuel Ex 8 is quite heavy,not that weight bothers me too much. Trek do have a couple of technologies (as they call them) which may or may not be beneficial to how a bike rides (re:activ shock, straight shot down tube etc) I would love to hear from Fuel Ex owners.

The Orbea is quite a nimble ride I'm told and although a trail bike, it leans a little towards xc.
Again,would love to hear from owners.

I like the fact you can swap out components at the ordering stage with Orbea.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 at 10:12 Quote
I have a new Slash 9.9 with the straight shot and it make a difference in how the bike tracks through corners and the rough stuff for sure. I had an older ex and it was a fun bike, but i then sold it to fund my slash. Shortly after I rode the newest fuel and there is a substantial difference from the old to new. The re:active most definitely is not just a marketing scheme, it does pedal very different to other shocks while still keeping a super supple feel throughout the travel. My last bike was a Remedy 9.9 29r with the re;active and there was a little tick on the first version of the shock. From what i hear the "tick" is gone on the newest versions so the annoyance is gone. I am looking at purchasing a Fuel next year and am looking forward to it.

eyepea74 wrote:
I am literally mulling over the exact same two bikes. Had a Trek xc bike (8500?) years ago and loved it, and I've heard nothing but good things about the latest Fuel Ex 8 . I know Trek are 'big brand' and for some reason that attracts some negative feelings among riders. Not sure why.

I've not been able to ride either bike yet. From what I've read this year's Fuel Ex 8 is quite heavy,not that weight bothers me too much. Trek do have a couple of technologies (as they call them) which may or may not be beneficial to how a bike rides (re:activ shock, straight shot down tube etc) I would love to hear from Fuel Ex owners.

The Orbea is quite a nimble ride I'm told and although a trail bike, it leans a little towards xc.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 at 12:10 Quote
Thanks colenc97.

I'm hoping to try a Fuel EX soon. A friend of a friend has an Orbea Rallon which is the Occam's big brother so when I get a chance I'll be asking for a go!

I am certainly more interested in the Trek though.

Posted: Mar 22, 2018 at 16:38 Quote
eyepea74 wrote:

I still have my Trek ZX8000 (1995)! Still in good shape. I have a Scott 730 and looking for a FS. Trek Top Fuel is on top of my list.

Posted: Apr 2, 2018 at 22:31 Quote
I love my Occam, but I would also consider the Rallon. I'm super ready to upgrade.

Orbea gives you such a good bang for your buck and warranty that ill try to stick with them for as long as possible.

Posted: Apr 11, 2018 at 15:47 Quote
EDIT; Just realized OP is from feb. So hopefully already have a bike by now but info I guess can still be useful.

I've got about 300 miles on my 18 ex 8. I love it. I have ridden a few full suspension bikes but this is my first one I have owned and for the price(got it for same price as a 17) I am very happy. I am about 230 lbs and def need to fine tune suspension still for the hard stuff/drops. I tend to XC the bike more then downhill/park.

I lowered the mino link for the first time last weekend at sky park and it felt way more stable on the fast trails.

I have changed to hope floaters and sintered pads and the brakes are 100% better and I swapped to carbon bars and it def made the bike feel way better and less hand fatigue.

Previous bike was a 25 ish lb hardtail and the ex 8 I believe weighted about 31 with tubeless etc, but I don't feel the weight very much at all.

My only issue with the bike is the dropper post rattles when all the way down works flawlessly otherwise. I packed it full of slick honey and it quieted it down a smidge but I think I am going to use the thick maxima blue grease next. I do seem to have some flex in the wheels with a wobble already in the rear, still under the 90 day so I am going to take it in soon for that.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014753
Mobile Version of Website