2018 Carbine or 2018 Tracer

PB Forum :: Intense
2018 Carbine or 2018 Tracer
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 11, 2018 at 5:59 Quote
I'm torn between the Carbine and the Tracer what's everyone's experience with either of the bikes I want to upgrade to a sweet knarly terrain taming beast steep downhills filled with rock ledges and roots then climb back up like a wild goat.
Cheers in advance every one.
Obviously the Carbine is 29" and Tracer is 27.5" also thinking of upgrading the Tracer to 170mm forks pretty much straight away anyone else done this?

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 18:51 Quote
I have ridden both many times and they are both really good. From the way you described your terrain, I would lean toward the carbine...have you ridden both?

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 4:31 Quote
Boise1 wrote:
I have ridden both many times and they are both really good. From the way you described your terrain, I would lean toward the carbine...have you ridden both?

Hi Boise1
I haven't ridden either there's nowhere to test ride one in Western Australia ugh
I want it to be nimble as well but I'm a stock 177cm so throw my Trance and XTC around pretty easy so that's why I was thinking the Carbine.
Just don't want to pick the wrong one as some of our Enduro trails are extremely steep and tight too.
Sam Hill made a lot of our trails and well yeah they're pretty insane some of them!

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 20:37 Quote
The Carbine is easier to ride IMO, more stable at high speeds but also turns good and handles rough sections well. The tracer turns better and jumps really good and needs a more skilled rider and is just more of a nimble bike in general. I went with a Tracer and love it. If I had the cash, there would be a Carbine in the garage as well...tough choice for sure

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 3:30 Quote
Brett888 wrote:
Boise1 wrote:

Hi Boise1
I haven't ridden either there's nowhere to test ride one in Western Australia ugh
I want it to be nimble as well but I'm a stock 177cm so throw my Trance and XTC around pretty easy so that's why I was thinking the Carbine.
Just don't want to pick the wrong one as some of our Enduro trails are extremely steep and tight too.
Sam Hill made a lot of our trails and well yeah they're pretty insane some of them!

The tracer is like a modern nomad3, but climbs better and goes down hill better. The suspension works well with air shocks and coil. I’d definitely suggest going 170mm right off the bat. If you don’t mind messing with an angle set headset you can get the seat angle steeper and head angle slacker which helps it tackle those steeps

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 4:55 Quote
@ViceGrips do you just need an angle set to slacken front and steepin ST?

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 5:01 Quote
Boise1 wrote:
The Carbine is easier to ride IMO, more stable at high speeds but also turns good and handles rough sections well. The tracer turns better and jumps really good and needs a more skilled rider and is just more of a nimble bike in general. I went with a Tracer and love it. If I had the cash, there would be a Carbine in the garage as well...tough choice for sure

Cheers Boise1 hard decision ahead that's for sure I do like the option of the 29er wheels for higher speed but also want the nimble corner flicking action of the Tracer on 27.5 wheels ugh haha.
How do you find climbing on the Carbine compared to the Tracer?

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 5:03 Quote
ViceGrips wrote:
Brett888 wrote:
Boise1 wrote:

Hi Boise1

The tracer is like a modern nomad3, but climbs better and goes down hill better. The suspension works well with air shocks and coil. I’d definitely suggest going 170mm right off the bat. If you don’t mind messing with an angle set headset you can get the seat angle steeper and head angle slacker which helps it tackle those steeps
Cheers Vicegrips
Doesn't an angle headset just make the bike slacker though?
Definitely going 170mm forks off the bat and even thinking of going a full custom build at least then either way I get exactly what I want.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 6:33 Quote
I feel the tracer climbs better..Smaller wheels to wheelie over rocks or roots..just makes the climb more fun than the Carbine. If you want to flick corners and really throw the bike around I would say Tracer for sure. Do you have a AUS distributor? Or is it coming from California?

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 7:40 Quote
Boise1 wrote:
I feel the tracer climbs better..Smaller wheels to wheelie over rocks or roots..just makes the climb more fun than the Carbine. If you want to flick corners and really throw the bike around I would say Tracer for sure. Do you have a AUS distributor? Or is it coming from California?
I can get one through a shop but they're going dealer direct buy from the internet now with big reduced costs etc.
Deciding whether to go frame and custom build or try get a pro build with a reduced price through the shop or get maybe an expert build but the frame is the heavier carbon one or just get an SL frame and build it over time with exactly what I want it'll be like Christmas every pay day haha
Definitely leaning towards the Tracer now that's for sure though.
Currently running a Trance Advance 1 so looking forward to stepping it up onto a full Enduro weapon that's for sure Big Grin

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 at 5:09 Quote
Brett888 wrote:
ViceGrips wrote:
Brett888 wrote:

Hi Boise1

Cheers Vicegrips
Doesn't an angle headset just make the bike slacker though?
Definitely going 170mm forks off the bat and even thinking of going a full custom build at least then either way I get exactly what I want.

Increasing fork travel(170-180) will slacken HA, SA, and raise BB. Using -1 headset will slacken HA of course but also steepen SA and lower BB. It’s a great way of keeping the back end snappy and fun while going aggressive in the front.

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 at 17:16 Quote
Don't buy an intense says the gut who broke six (6) intense bikes in 4 years.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2018 at 14:37 Quote
After riding both went with the Carbine. Felt as plush as the Tracer but better for my riding area with the 29nr wheels to get me up the trails with gas in the tank for all the fun stuff and has a bottle cage mount
New bike

Posted: Apr 3, 2018 at 3:05 Quote
strider wrote:
After riding both went with the Carbine. Felt as plush as the Tracer but better for my riding area with the 29nr wheels to get me up the trails with gas in the tank for all the fun stuff and has a bottle cage mount

nice bike!
I'm considering a 2018 carbine as well
which frame size did you get and how tall are you?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028378
Mobile Version of Website