set DH bike up for everyday street riding when not at the bikepark

PB Forum :: Downhill
set DH bike up for everyday street riding when not at the bikepark
Author Message
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 17:09 Quote
sellcrackcocainetokids wrote:
i really have my mind set on a kona operator as my first foray into DH biking. however days when im not at bikeparks what setup can i ride with to make bike fine for riding round town? what chain ring for example could i switch to to make peddaling around town loads easier and what tires and any other suggestions you guys have so i can pootle round town like lord of the f*cking manor lmao.
ps: dont want to hear "get an enduro" as this isnt constructive as im in love with dual crown full suss DH bikes and have heart and mind set on kona operator and cant afford 2 bikes. any helpful suggestions/advice much appreciated

just lock out the suspension or get a commuter bike

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 6:09 Quote
I was in the same boat you are in about a month or two ago, I’d never ridin MTB besides a 20 pure trials bike and a 24 street trials bike. But I had to have a DH bike! The way everyone portrayed DH bikes on here I had the mindset that when I got it I was barely going to be able to pedal on flat ground!

The bike I got was a 2012 airborn taka/iron horse yakuza I know it’s not as low and slack as today’s DH bikes but it’s still 45 pounds of manliness!!!

Pedaling isn’t that bad, if I roll the bars forward it’s better, pedal bob is the worst thing though, my shock doesn’t have a lockout, if you get a shock with a lockout you’ll be good to go!!

As for tires, it not hard to Change a tires, get some cheap road tires or a knobby and cut all the lugs off, pump them up to an ungodly pressure!!

In conclusion, if I had it over I’d still have gotten my DH bike. Follow your heart, The more you pedal the DH bike the stronger you’ll get and eventually if you ever swap to an enduro youll be faster the any of the weenys that say “it’s impossible to pedal a DH bike anywhere!!!!”

I hope you like your new bike as much as I like mine!!!!

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 8:07 Quote
As everyone has said, riding a DH bike in the city is not the most practical but it can be loads of fun still.

You will probably want to swap the chain ring to a smaller size. Most DH bikes seem to come equipped with a 36 tooth, try a 32 tooth.

As for tires, skinnier with smaller tread blocks will roll easier and faster on pavement. Try and get yourself a second set of used wheels so that way you won’t have to be constantly swapping tires.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 15:35 Quote
DugS wrote:
As everyone has said, riding a DH bike in the city is not the most practical but it can be loads of fun still.

You will probably want to swap the chain ring to a smaller size. Most DH bikes seem to come equipped with a 36 tooth, try a 32 tooth.

As for tires, skinnier with smaller tread blocks will roll easier and faster on pavement. Try and get yourself a second set of used wheels so that way you won’t have to be constantly swapping tires.
maybe even get some dj tires lol

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 2:49 Quote
gramboh wrote:
OP: buy a used cheap BMX to pedal around town. You’ll improve your bike handling and jumping skills a bunch.


I agree 100%

I'm only trying to help OP, I come from experience.

The main reason I'm good at riding in general and jumping a downhill bike is because I learned all my jumping technique on bmx and hardtails.

Kona makes sick bikes, I had a stinky that is actually still ridable after about 10 years of hucking.
If you get an operator I suggest not getting a carbon operator especially a used one, they are NOTORIOUS for the frame breaking. Idk, maybe it would serve you well, all I ever hear about those bikes is that the frames break. If you get the operator make sure to get aluminum and not carbon.

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 6:58 Quote
I haven't seen mention yet of security! If you are wanting to ride street then no problem; BUT if you intend on using it as a commuter/get around type of bike then leaving a £3000 operator outside your local shop you better be carrying a bloody good lock with you thats insurance approved.

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 7:27 Quote
False wrote:
PinnedFreeRide wrote:
Minions are expensive. You could buy a whole new bike for street riding for the price of one set of minions.
he said he didnt want a second bike. thats why i didnt straight up suggest a dj lol


i did buddy say i cant afford second bike lol this thread has had me in stitches. il look for a wide range cassette. can you suggest one to buy possibly provide a link bud

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 7:28 Quote
PinnedFreeRide wrote:
gramboh wrote:
OP: buy a used cheap BMX to pedal around town. You’ll improve your bike handling and jumping skills a bunch.


I agree 100%

I'm only trying to help OP, I come from experience.

The main reason I'm good at riding in general and jumping a downhill bike is because I learned all my jumping technique on bmx and hardtails.

Kona makes sick bikes, I had a stinky that is actually still ridable after about 10 years of hucking.
If you get an operator I suggest not getting a carbon operator especially a used one, they are NOTORIOUS for the frame breaking. Idk, maybe it would serve you well, all I ever hear about those bikes is that the frames break. If you get the operator make sure to get aluminum and not carbon.


great advice il try look for a alu frame then. didnt know this

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 7:31 Quote
Eat-sleep-ride-repeat wrote:
I was in the same boat you are in about a month or two ago, I’d never ridin MTB besides a 20 pure trials bike and a 24 street trials bike. But I had to have a DH bike! The way everyone portrayed DH bikes on here I had the mindset that when I got it I was barely going to be able to pedal on flat ground!

The bike I got was a 2012 airborn taka/iron horse yakuza I know it’s not as low and slack as today’s DH bikes but it’s still 45 pounds of manliness!!!

Pedaling isn’t that bad, if I roll the bars forward it’s better, pedal bob is the worst thing though, my shock doesn’t have a lockout, if you get a shock with a lockout you’ll be good to go!!

As for tires, it not hard to Change a tires, get some cheap road tires or a knobby and cut all the lugs off, pump them up to an ungodly pressure!!

In conclusion, if I had it over I’d still have gotten my DH bike. Follow your heart, The more you pedal the DH bike the stronger you’ll get and eventually if you ever swap to an enduro youll be faster the any of the weenys that say “it’s impossible to pedal a DH bike anywhere!!!!”

I hope you like your new bike as much as I like mine!!!!


thanks bro what amazing reply. yes i agree with the follow your heart and get a DH bike. if i bought a enduro id still be yearning for a full DH bike. il try get some much less aggressive dh tires and pump em up to max when street riding

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 7:34 Quote
DugS wrote:
As everyone has said, riding a DH bike in the city is not the most practical but it can be loads of fun still.

You will probably want to swap the chain ring to a smaller size. Most DH bikes seem to come equipped with a 36 tooth, try a 32 tooth.

As for tires, skinnier with smaller tread blocks will roll easier and faster on pavement. Try and get yourself a second set of used wheels so that way you won’t have to be constantly swapping tires.

great advice bud. this is anwers i was hoping for. so in nutshell smaller tread tires i found these are these ideal?
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Halo-H-Block-26-Tyres_102540.htm?sku=372735&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2Y_UBRCGARIsALglqQ2c4NR52ACMmxgVUEf0Dy8lyI4eN5yiyblgvw0IBTRw1hOCGD_1DTcaAuLNEALw_wcB
and a 32 tooth chain ring and as someone else said, high pressure in tires. what cassette do i need?

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 7:48 Quote
PinnedFreeRide wrote:
gramboh wrote:
OP: buy a used cheap BMX to pedal around town. You’ll improve your bike handling and jumping skills a bunch.


I agree 100%

I'm only trying to help OP, I come from experience.

The main reason I'm good at riding in general and jumping a downhill bike is because I learned all my jumping technique on bmx and hardtails.

Kona makes sick bikes, I had a stinky that is actually still ridable after about 10 years of hucking.
If you get an operator I suggest not getting a carbon operator especially a used one, they are NOTORIOUS for the frame breaking. Idk, maybe it would serve you well, all I ever hear about those bikes is that the frames break. If you get the operator make sure to get aluminum and not carbon.

other bikes i like are the yt tues? would you reccomend a 2016 yt tues AL comp?

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 15:18 Quote
You couldn't go wrong with a tues, but I'm not very knowledgeable about them. I've heard about some breaking, but nothing like how common carbon Kona operators break.
Get a downhill bike, and shred it. But I really think putting street tires on a downhill bike is a mistake, it's putting lipstick on a pig.

Right now my only rideable bike is a DH bike, so don't take it the wrong way.
You're just going to be really disappointed anytime you try to Pedal uphill, and riding skatepark is a complete joke on a downhill bike. You also can't clear bmx/ hardtail style dirt jumps on DH bikes because the suspension soaks up all your speed no matter how hard you pump. If all you plan on doing is hucking fat drops and riding to the bus stop to ride the bus to the resort, you will be fine. But if you are actually trying to go big street style, you will be dissatisfied.
With a downhill bike you're going to have to Pedal super hard to get speed to clear jumps, and right after you peddled your ass off to get speed you're probably going to lose all that speed.
I rode a DH for street a lot before I got my driver's license ten years ago when I lived in a resort town. This is what it came down to;
If I was going to Huck big drops or go downhiling I would ride my downhill bike. For literally everything else I would use my hardtail.


Here's the thing bro.
You will notice that those of us with more experience who actually have ridden many different kinds of bikes over many years are going to be telling you to not ride a DH bike for street. Then you will also notice that the younger guys with less experience are going to tell you to to use your downhill bike for street riding.

You can get a killer hardtail for 300 bucks used. If you can afford a downhill bike, you can afford a street bike.
Also, downhill bikes are most commonly stolen from urban areas, and even the biggest bike locks are easily defeated by 20$ bolt cutters.

Putting street tires on a DH bike is putting lipstick on a pig, it won't make the bike any more pedalable because it still has 8" of suspension with DH bike geometry. The main thing that's going to happen by using street tires on a downhill bike is that when you're actually downhilling you're going to have way less control, and have to ride really slow and pussy foot around because you will constantly be at a loss for traction. ( I've done it, it sucks )


Do whatever makes you happy man. But like I said earlier those of us who actually have a lot of experience are going to tell you to have two bikes. You will notice those who are younger with less experience will tell you that riding a downhill bike on street is a good idea.

After you buy a downhill bike and do it for yourself you understand.

I don't even bother taking my DH bike to BMX style dirt jumps or skateparks because it's a complete waste of time. I throw my DH bike into my truck and take it downhilling or to bike parks that are dh bike friendly. Or to search for drops.
Before I had a driver's license I would just ride the bus.
Yes there are some street stuff you can hit on DH, but 95% of street stuff is better suited for hardtail, bmx, or small travel bikes.




Good luck in your journey bro. There's tons of great bikes out there. Commencal, Turner, Transition, Norco, and lots of top level companies pros ride that put out bikes for much cheaper than brands like giant, although with just as much quality durable builds. For the most part you really can't go wrong with whatever you pick.


This is what I ride.



Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 15:42 Quote
PinnedFreeRide wrote:
You couldn't go wrong with a tues, but I'm not very knowledgeable about them. I've heard about some breaking, but nothing like how common carbon Kona operators break.
Get a downhill bike, and shred it. But I really think putting street tires on a downhill bike is a mistake, it's putting lipstick on a pig.

Right now my only rideable bike is a DH bike, so don't take it the wrong way.
You're just going to be really disappointed anytime you try to Pedal uphill, and riding skatepark is a complete joke on a downhill bike. You also can't clear bmx/ hardtail style dirt jumps on DH bikes because the suspension soaks up all your speed no matter how hard you pump. If all you plan on doing is hucking fat drops and riding to the bus stop to ride the bus to the resort, you will be fine. But if you are actually trying to go big street style, you will be dissatisfied.
With a downhill bike you're going to have to Pedal super hard to get speed to clear jumps, and right after you peddled your ass off to get speed you're probably going to lose all that speed.
I rode a DH for street a lot before I got my driver's license ten years ago when I lived in a resort town. This is what it came down to;
If I was going to Huck big drops or go downhiling I would ride my downhill bike. For literally everything else I would use my hardtail.


Here's the thing bro.
You will notice that those of us with more experience who actually have ridden many different kinds of bikes over many years are going to be telling you to not ride a DH bike for street. Then you will also notice that the younger guys with less experience are going to tell you to to use your downhill bike for street riding.

You can get a killer hardtail for 300 bucks used. If you can afford a downhill bike, you can afford a street bike.
Also, downhill bikes are most commonly stolen from urban areas, and even the biggest bike locks are easily defeated by 20$ bolt cutters.

Putting street tires on a DH bike is putting lipstick on a pig, it won't make the bike any more pedalable because it still has 8" of suspension with DH bike geometry. The main thing that's going to happen by using street tires on a downhill bike is that when you're actually downhilling you're going to have way less control, and have to ride really slow and pussy foot around because you will constantly be at a loss for traction. ( I've done it, it sucks )


Do whatever makes you happy man. But like I said earlier those of us who actually have a lot of experience are going to tell you to have two bikes. You will notice those who are younger with less experience will tell you that riding a downhill bike on street is a good idea.

After you buy a downhill bike and do it for yourself you understand.

I don't even bother taking my DH bike to BMX style dirt jumps or skateparks because it's a complete waste of time. I throw my DH bike into my truck and take it downhilling or to bike parks that are dh bike friendly. Or to search for drops.
Before I had a driver's license I would just ride the bus.
Yes there are some street stuff you can hit on DH, but 95% of street stuff is better suited for hardtail, bmx, or small travel bikes.




Good luck in your journey bro. There's tons of great bikes out there. Commencal, Turner, Transition, Norco, and lots of top level companies pros ride that put out bikes for much cheaper than brands like giant, although with just as much quality durable builds. For the most part you really can't go wrong with whatever you pick.


This is what I ride.




epic reply bud!! i am going to take your advise and search for a dj bike around the £400 mark because i live 5 mins walk away from a huge olympic sized bmx pump track with table jumps etc: so will shred that inbetween the couple weeks waiting to take my dh bike to a proper bike park. at least the dj bike sessions will benefit me on the big bike when i go to bike parks. i plan to go to bike parks every 2 weeks so a DJ bike and pump track inbetween will help me come along massively in riding bikes. thankyou for great advise i understand it will be pointless waste of time messing about with big bike to setup for street

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 at 16:00 Quote
I'm glad to hear it man. You are going to love downhilling. But seriously the main reason I'm good at jumping my downhill bike is because I perfected the art of jumping with a hardtail.
Getting good with a hardtail will make you a way better downhiller.

You will be much happier with two bikes. Once you get a downhill bike and ride some proper downhill Trails you will be completely addicted. It's so fun you can blast through the gnarliest stuff, and hit huge floaty jumps.

I'm glad to hear my advice help man, I just think it would be such a shame to put street tires on a downhill bike. Half the fun of having a downhill bike is that you get to run huge knobby tires.


Be sure to get a full face helmet and some other protective gear for when you go downhilling as well.

Posted: Feb 15, 2018 at 2:47 Quote
PinnedFreeRide wrote:
I'm glad to hear it man. You are going to love downhilling. But seriously the main reason I'm good at jumping my downhill bike is because I perfected the art of jumping with a hardtail.
Getting good with a hardtail will make you a way better downhiller.

You will be much happier with two bikes. Once you get a downhill bike and ride some proper downhill Trails you will be completely addicted. It's so fun you can blast through the gnarliest stuff, and hit huge floaty jumps.

I'm glad to hear my advice help man, I just think it would be such a shame to put street tires on a downhill bike. Half the fun of having a downhill bike is that you get to run huge knobby tires.


Be sure to get a full face helmet and some other protective gear for when you go downhilling as well.

cheers bro and for sure be getting some protection dont fancy avoidable trips to A&E. Hopefully buying a YT tues this weekend just waiting on replys of seller cant wait to break my DH cherry.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027450
Mobile Version of Website