Help finding Low-volume bike shoes

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help finding Low-volume bike shoes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 7:59 Quote
Trying to find some new bike shoes and would appreciate some help! I've got long narrow, low volume feet that makes finding "performance foot wear" a night mare (lets not talk about ski boots). Any suggestions for brands or shoes to look at that offer a more LV fit?. Definitely clipped in. Moslty trail riding, Ideally something that wouldn't be silly for me to show up to an XC race in. Currently wearing a pair of Adidas bike shoes from 2005 and the holes are starting to get bigger...

Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 10:52 Quote
Me too (narrow feet), I'm currently on Mavics, mid-range XC shoes.
Check out Mavic and Sidi.
I think some Shimano shoes are lower volume (some have moldable footbeds too).

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:52 Quote
Just screw a cleat into the bottom of a flip-flop

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 7:54 Quote
Nah screw a cleat into the bottom of a diving shoe and you will be all good

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 9:06 Quote
I have this same problem. I wear a US size 11.5-12 or so, and measure at a B width. I also use custom orthotics due to the various footwear problems I have. Pretty much every mtb shoe I've ever had is too wide and my foot moves slightly side to side in them. People complain about the lack of float with flat pedal shoes...but not me. At least 4 degrees rotational movement within my shoes. I have a pair of clipless Five Ten Kestrels right now, which are narrow in the heel but wide in the mid-foot, and then narrow again in the toe. Not the best fit, but way better than the previous generation Five Tens I had in the past.

I find my orthotics help take up some of the room. They have a good inch of heel lift in them so it moves my foot upwards out of the most cavernous area of most shoes. Def helps. But they were $450 to custom fit for my feet by an orthotist, so hardly an easy solution.

If anybody has any solutions, I'd be happy to hear!

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 14:53 Quote
I have love my Gaerne shoes, they fit my narrow feet very well. They have a lot of fantastic features but are a little on the pricey side. For me it was worth the money to have a comfortable, light and durable shoe. They also look great!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/gaerne-carbon-sincro-mtb-spd-shoes-2017/rp-prod157513?gs=1&pgrid=11520959972&ptaid=pla-96626750928&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain%2BReaction-CA-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping%2BQLB%2BManufacturer&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7Csr8jvZNtF_dc%7Cpcrid%7C55959035612%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C575999CA

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 19:56 Quote
For what it's worth I have average to wide feet and can't wear sidi because they are way too narrow. Maybe they'd work for you!

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 12:14 Quote
Thanks everybody. Definitely gonna try Mavic, they've got a factory outlet in-town. I've heard Sidi before but they are hard to find on sale and gotta be honest I think they look terrible. I also heard the Giro HR70 runs narrow so maybe I'll get that a try?

Lake and Garneu are new ones to me so thanks!

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 13:01 Quote
Sidi is a top brand. They pretty much only make high end stuff. I know them from motocross (can't wear their boots either). They'll be expensive and rarely heavily discounted. My wife loves them and won't wear anything else!

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 5:01 Quote
Narrow feet here. Specialized 2FO Cliplite currently, the lowest volume fit I've tried, very nice on my foot.

EDIT: Also tried & returned a pair of Kestrel Lace, not such a good fit, wider than the normal Kestrel.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 8:07 Quote
Five ten maltese falcon are not wide fit, give'm a try at a shop if you can

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 10:42 Quote
skeeple wrote:
Thanks everybody. Definitely gonna try Mavic, they've got a factory outlet in-town. I've heard Sidi before but they are hard to find on sale and gotta be honest I think they look terrible. I also heard the Giro HR70 runs narrow so maybe I'll get that a try?

Lake and Garneu are new ones to me so thanks!
FYI - Gaerne is the shoe brand, not Garneau (Cdn brand that makes bike/ski clothing).

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
skeeple wrote:
Trying to find some new bike shoes and would appreciate some help! I've got long narrow, low volume feet that makes finding "performance foot wear" a night mare (lets not talk about ski boots). Any suggestions for brands or shoes to look at that offer a more LV fit?. Definitely clipped in. Moslty trail riding, Ideally something that wouldn't be silly for me to show up to an XC race in. Currently wearing a pair of Adidas bike shoes from 2005 and the holes are starting to get bigger...

Have you tried anything on yet? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Road/XC type shoes are almost universally quite narrow.

The shoes that your LBS will likely carry-
Giro, Sidi, Shimano, Specialized are all narrow, especially in the toe box.

Usually the problem is the other way around, trying to find something even moderately wide. Northwave is the only wide shoe I've ever encountered (though Northwave is available in narrow widths too).

Posted: 4 hours ago Quote
I went and tried on some mavics, their mid-range XC shoe, and trail shoes. Still too wide/high volume. I was still swimming with the uppers basically touching. I'm gonna try those Giro Codes since they're discontinued and super cheap right now. If that's a no go I'll look for some specialized next. Still wanting a more xc oriented shoe tho so prolly no 2FO or Maltese.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018988
Mobile Version of Website