Moving to Seattle - Need some tips!

PB Forum :: USA - West
Moving to Seattle - Need some tips!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 12, 2018 at 21:17 Quote
Hey all, haven't ridden a bike in 4 years now. Been living in Hawaii and didn't really bother to ship my hardtail here. So a little bit of background about myself, did XC for 7 years on hardtails with 100mm travel. So I have no experience whatsoever on FS. I'm moving to Seattle Feb2019 and I'm looking to get back into it. I've seen some cool trails and bike parks like the I-5 park and so on.

For anyone who is experienced with the trails there, what should I be looking to get? What size travel? I've heard 150mm is good to have but not necessary. Really any input about anything would be appreciated, I am itching to get back out on the trails.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Feb 24, 2018 at 19:41 Quote
There is space here any bike you could want to use really. Green lake in Seattle has a small dirt jump area with some well shaped jumps that range from small beginner jumps to some 12 and 14 foot jumps that are do or die. Down a ways you have duthie hill which is a fun time and you can use anything from a XC bike to a FR or AM bike. It has minimal elevation changes so no hard uphill riding. On the other hand tiger mountain is about a 1.5 hr climb if your fit and can miserable on say a full DH bike that wont pedal uphill well. Over to the east from seattle you have the MT Baker-Snoqualmie national forrest area. As any national forrest there is hundreds of square miles of trails both steep and flat. I would say and AM of FR is most fun there. Along with Snoqualmie is the Summit at Snoqualmie ski area. Its not really tall enough to be worth a true DH bike but they do run their lifts for bike in the summer and ski/snowboards during the winter. In seattle are a ton of frankly very annoying road bikers many of whom do crazier and more stupid things in traffic than Ive seen out of hardcore DH riders on the gnarliest mountains, except DHers are just sending it while the road bikers are just arrogant. the park under !-5 was abandoned because if was too dusty and there was no way to get water down there but there is a full concrete and very crazy skate park under i-5 but thats besides the point. I think stevens pass which is about 2.5 hrs from seattle might also run its lift but im not sure. In any case there are mountains on all sides for skiing and riding both.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 18:21 Quote
Solid details, but Snoqualmie doesn't yet have MTB trails (soon) and Stevens does. The I-5 park goes through periods of cleanup and there some people trying to rebuild it. It was popular until Duthie was built.

I ride a 29er that's 150/115 and can pretty much ride it all. Some more travel would be nice at times.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004458
Mobile Version of Website