Going to Arizona, what should I ride?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Going to Arizona, what should I ride?
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 16:39 Quote
So for spring break i'm going to Arizona, wheres the good riding there? I have heard great things about Sedona what are some trails there or is there anywhere to go thats good? Also sounds pretty joey but do any trail networks have shuttles, wanna maximize the day if not no biggie. Thanks in advance guys

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 17:03 Quote
Sedona is a gold mind of trails. You could easily spend the whole time there.
There’s Prescott, and Flagstaff near by full of trails too
Phoenix hit up south mountain
Tucson 50 year trail network, Tucson mountain park and Mt Lemmon

Download the REI MTB project ap to get a full listing of all the trails including length, descriptions, pictures, and difficulty level.

You are riding in AZ during the prime part of the year, have fun

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 13:31 Quote
Martron12 wrote:

Download the REI MTB project ap to get a full listing of all the trails including length, descriptions, pictures, and difficulty level.

Thanks a million man, are there any specific trails in that area?

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 15:59 Quote
Jbondy08 wrote:
Martron12 wrote:

Thanks a million man, are there any specific trails in that area?

Really depends on your skill level and what elevation your used to. You’ll be riding around 4000ft or 1200meters. You could try courthouse loop. That’s intermediate 6 miles / 9 and half Kilometers. I’m live in southern AZ , Tucson so I’m not horribly familiar with the trails up there. Try a local shop for the best advise.
Hangover Loop is super famous but if you end there be careful, it’s brutally hard and dangerous

Have a good one

Posted: Feb 22, 2018 at 17:09 Quote
Jbondy08 wrote:
So for spring break i'm going to Arizona, wheres the good riding there? I have heard great things about Sedona what are some trails there or is there anywhere to go thats good? Also sounds pretty joey but do any trail networks have shuttles, wanna maximize the day if not no biggie. Thanks in advance guys

Sedona is couple hour drive from Phx. Kind of a densely packed tourist town this time of year. March 2nd --4th there is a pretty instense sedona mtb festival: http://sedonamtbfestival.com/ if you are there at that time.

There is a shop in Sedona, http://www.bike-bean.com/ they are pretty darn knowledgeable about trails and will guide you a bit.

There are some loops on the west side of Sedona near "cultural park" trail head, https://goo.gl/maps/WzcnT4fzx9B2
you can get details on trailforks or whatever.

I do not know about much shuttle style riding, we mostly ride out here but I am sure there are shuttle "able" trails.
White Line is kind of famous in Sedona: https://youtu.be/GzhlDnTv0pc I assume you are pretty skilled coming from the north, views are stunning. Just google white line, sedona.

Phx, south mountain system is probably the main area, in the east valley near mesa you have the Hawes trail system, I grew up literally round the corner from there, but have not ridden the trails entirely, a few miles maybe. Just put "Hawes Trail System" in project MTB maps for details. All this is probably a little more cross country type than you are used to.

All this is quite spread out, you will have to do your homework a bit to organize.

Posted: Feb 24, 2018 at 13:45 Quote
The Sedona Mountain Bike Festival is happening next weekend, if you're in Arizona then you should def make an effort to go. I'm going for the first time this year but tons of organized shuttles and group rides, demos, etc. Also beer and food. I went to Sedona last year solo to ride and there's so many trails that you can get to without needing a car. I rode to every trailhead from my AirBnB!

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 at 8:15 Quote
Moving to AZ from NC
Question: how is the riding different from Phoenix compared to Tucson (number of trails, style, shuttles, difficulty, free ride)?
I like enduro, free ride, DH. I am looking dudes to ride with, shuttle Dh/free ride trails that are fun, not just XC climbing

Thanks, please let me know if there is a different place I should ask this

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 at 9:19 Quote
jarrod801 wrote:
Moving to AZ from NC
Question: how is the riding different from Phoenix compared to Tucson (number of trails, style, shuttles, difficulty, free ride)?
I like enduro, free ride, DH. I am looking dudes to ride with, shuttle Dh/free ride trails that are fun, not just XC climbing

What part of NC? The Raleigh scene has some decent bandit trails and some secret freeride. Charlotte area is getting some freeride very soon, there are also some hidden spots. Beech mountain is decent, Bailey’s is more hardcore. Pisgah is great, worth the drive out there.

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 at 10:08 Quote
RMSlayer50 wrote:
jarrod801 wrote:
Moving to AZ from NC

What part of NC? The Raleigh scene has some decent bandit trails and some secret freeride. Charlotte area is getting some freeride very soon, there are also some hidden spots. Beech mountain is decent, Bailey’s is more hardcore. Pisgah is great, worth the drive out there.

hi, Im in charlotte. I have been to those places and know the places you are talking about. I dont know what you mean about charlotte getting free ride soon. but im going to AZ as long as my house sells. I miss the riding in the west. I miss the close proximity to riding from home and work. driving to beech and pisgah is something I can't do during the week. and the biggest thing that I miss is shuttling. I can't believe I haven't shuttled any DH while living here

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 at 11:32 Quote
jarrod801 wrote:
RMSlayer50 wrote:
jarrod801 wrote:
Moving to AZ from NC

hi, Im in charlotte. I have been to those places and know the places you are talking about. I dont know what you mean about charlotte getting free ride soon. but im going to AZ as long as my house sells. I miss the riding in the west. I miss the close proximity to riding from home and work. driving to beech and pisgah is something I can't do during the week. and the biggest thing that I miss is shuttling. I can't believe I haven't shuttled any DH while living here

Check out the charlotte mountain bikers fb page. full of lots of riders who can steer you in the right direction. Dixie river will be finalized this year and has a road gap.

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 at 11:34 Quote
RMSlayer50 wrote:
jarrod801 wrote:
RMSlayer50 wrote:

Check out the charlotte mountain bikers fb page. full of lots of riders who can steer you in the right direction. Dixie river will be finalized this year and has a road gap.

thanks, but posted my first question about AZ because I am moving there in a month. ill take a look

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 at 12:20 Quote
jarrod801 wrote:
Moving to AZ from NC

Hey I live in Tucson The bulk of our trails are either loops or out and back. My Lemmon is usually a shuttle set up depending on what segments your doing and how you feel about climbing the trails either single track or main road I’m a big fan of Robeles trail system and 50 year trail system. If you have not already downloaded it I very highly recommend gettting the REI MTB project ap so you can pre check the trails. Have everything here. PHX I don’t know well but South Mountain is the hot spot for riding Message me any time for Tucson stuff

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 at 12:39 Quote
Martron12 wrote:
jarrod801 wrote:
Moving to AZ from NC

Hey I live in Tucson The bulk of our trails are either loops or out and back. My Lemmon is usually a shuttle set up depending on what segments your doing and how you feel about climbing the trails either single track or main road I’m a big fan of Robeles trail system and 50 year trail system. If you have not already downloaded it I very highly recommend gettting the REI MTB project ap so you can pre check the trails. Have everything here. PHX I don’t know well but South Mountain is the hot spot for riding Message me any time for Tucson stuff
Thanks for the message!! I'll look up what you mentioned and reach out once I get there!

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 15:32 Quote
Depending on your skill level and what you want to ride, I would highly recommend the Pemberton loop, NE of Phx it self in the Fountain Hills area. Can be a bit of a drive to get to, but there's a massive park with tons and tons of trails to ride.
Green difficulty for the main big loop but very much a fun ride!
I can't remember the name of the park but if you google the Pemberton loop it'll come up easily!
Also a bike shop nearby that does rentals, decent rates, A+++ Customer service!

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 16:09 Quote
South Mountain will probably be your best bet for riding close to phoenix. I think National is one of the most popular trails to ride. You can also check out the west valley:

http://www.westvalleytrailalliance.org/guide-to-west-valley-trails/

I lived in Prescott for roughly 5 years and there is some great riding there. It's roughly 80 miles north of Phoenix and sits at 5400 feet in elevation (perfect elevation in AZ). The Circle Trail (50 mile loop around Prescott on almost all single track) was completed a couple of years ago. There is a huge variety of trails right in Prescott between Granite Basin, Thumb Butte, Emmanuel Pines, Lynx Lake, and White Spar areas. Watson Lake has some very technical trails on slabs of granite. Groom Creek has some great trails about 20 min south of Prescott and Mingus Mountain is roughly 40 min north.

Check out Soul Ride, Manzanita Outdoors, or Ironclad Bicycles for insider tips. Prescott really has as much to offer as a place like Sedona but without the tourists.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006406
Mobile Version of Website