Almost to the limit of how vintage a mountain bike can get.

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Almost to the limit of how vintage a mountain bike can get.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 20, 2018 at 22:06 Quote
I've always had a soft spot for nice high end bikes that I grew up lusting after. Anything from the early 90's, bikes featured in articles I read in Mountain Bike Action are huge draws for me. They bring back fond memories of what biking was for me then.

The bikes and trails were so different from today, it's really like stepping back in time when you ride them. I vividly remember amazing rides, the feel of freedom early on in my life. It contrasts well with how awesome bikes & trails are today.

That being said, I still collect and trade old bikes as a hobby to keep me busy between rides. I recently came across a bike that was much older then I care for, but intriguing just the same. I spotted it randomly from across the country for sale online. It was being auctioned off & I needed a new project so I decided to bid.

Online pic at Auction

First half hour of cleaning

Posted: Feb 23, 2018 at 17:17 Quote
I went on a trail ride with one of those early, early mountain bikes a number of years ago, and was actually pretty impressed with how well it climbed, and picked its way through technical terrain. The long wheelbase and raked fork felt pretty rad going downhill. (Provided the trail was smooth)

In a lot of ways, those early bikes are more relevant now than many of the late 80's and early 90's bikes are... Longer and more stable, you don't feel like you're overtop of the front wheel. Only annoying thing is the long chain stays.
Also, those bullmoose bars were generally wider, less reach, and offered better control than the narrow flat bars that would soon be popular. And they're making a comeback! Not really sure why it's taken this long, the concept is pretty sound.

photo

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 at 22:38 Quote
I agree completely. The bikes made in the 90's are great but for me to actually want to ride them riser bars & a shorter stem are a must. The industry really went too far into XC racing geometry. Took a whole decade to get back to where they all started and another decade to progress from that.

This was a great winter project for me. I spent many hours cleaning and getting this bike back to its former glory. I'm very happy how well it came out.

The history in these early bikes is pretty awesome as well. I was super stoked to see that "Klunkerz" was free to watch on Amazon. Covered the entire history of how this bike came to be.
Restored side shot

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.031536
Mobile Version of Website