Deore brakes or SLX brakes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Deore brakes or SLX brakes
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 27, 2018 at 20:42 Quote
Hi guys, can anyone help me decide in upgrading from my non-series shimano brakes. i just feel that one-hand brake will help me in control in the trails compared to the 2finger pull on my nonseries brakes. from what i read from other online reviews deore or slx have the same stopping power, its just the slx have the reach adjustment. Smile

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 at 22:42 Quote
rhayann25 wrote:
Hi guys, can anyone help me decide in upgrading from my non-series shimano brakes. i just feel that one-hand brake will help me in control in the trails compared to the 2finger pull on my nonseries brakes. from what i read from other online reviews deore or slx have the same stopping power, its just the slx have the reach adjustment. Smile
SLX have ceramic Pistons aswell.The SLX is the same as XT but without free stroke adjustment.Get the SLX,if you can afford.The Deore is a good brake for the price though,cant really go wrong with either.Stopping power is similar,could always fit bigger rotors for more stopping power

Posted: Feb 27, 2018 at 23:56 Quote
there you go. if its the same stopping power. then budget wise deore is a sound option. im usually doing XC trails here.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 at 0:19 Quote
rhayann25 wrote:
there you go. if its the same stopping power. then budget wise deore is a sound option. im usually doing XC trails here.
i actually had deores on my DH bike for a while,coped no problem really for what they are.

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 at 5:20 Quote
Braking power is equal. Non-ceramic piston might be even more robust.

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 at 6:12 Quote
sayrius wrote:
Braking power is equal. Non-ceramic piston might be even more robust.
non ceramic transfers more heat into the calipers and can warm the fluid,giving a bit of brake fade,but on an xc/trail bike not an issue

O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2018 at 14:52 Quote
If you do a lot of long downhills it might be worth getting the slx for the finned pads too.

Posted: Mar 1, 2018 at 21:20 Quote
arphia wrote:
If you do a lot of long downhills it might be worth getting the slx for the finned pads too.
can put finned pads in deores aswell

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 0:53 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
arphia wrote:
Have finned pads on my deores 615. It really makes sense on long downhills.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 2:18 Quote
sayrius wrote:
jase111171 wrote:
arphia wrote:
Have finned pads on my deores 615. It really makes sense on long downhills.

Huh I swear last time I looked for pads for my deores there weren't any finned pads that fit but there's plenty now. Go with deore for sure then.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 8:19 Quote
SLX will have an olive vs straight port where the brake line meets the calipers. Supposed to provide a bit more modulation. Worth noting.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 8:26 Quote
billbrasky wrote:
SLX will have an olive vs straight port where the brake line meets the calipers. Supposed to provide a bit more modulation. Worth noting.
I had SLX 675, Deore 615, SLX 7000 - no difference in work and modulation. Honestly, all shimano brakes have lack of modulation.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 10:48 Quote
sayrius wrote:
billbrasky wrote:
I had SLX 675, Deore 615, SLX 7000 - no difference in work and modulation. Honestly, all shimano brakes have lack of modulation.

I hear yah on the zero modulation. Just upgraded from Deore to Guide RS. It wasn't cheap, but boy what a difference.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 13:21 Quote
I personally do not like the split pin for retaining the pads on the Deore brakes. I prefer the bolt on the SLX.

Posted: Mar 11, 2018 at 17:46 Quote
Deores will be a great upgrade for you. No need to spend more money, they will be a substantial upgrade from what you have now.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007459
Mobile Version of Website