Anyone running a chain guide with a 2x setup?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone running a chain guide with a 2x setup?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 5:40 Quote
Hi, I have recently got really annoyed by the incredible amount of chain slap I've been getting and I have tried so many times to make a chain guide but I cannot find it out. I have a 2x10 with no clutch so I'm kind of struggling to find a way to include both rings. So if you do have a 2x chain guide (on the bottom) to reduce chain slap, would you mind writing how the chain guide looks, and if anyone has made a chain guide, for 1, 2, or even a 3x then if you could share what you had to do to make it work.
Thanks,
James

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 5:41 Quote
Yeah and on top of that, I'm trying to avoid just buying one because of they a quite pricey.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 7:44 Quote
while not homemade ,,I ran a blackspire dual ring chain tensioner on my Heckler and worked great and only runs about $40 or so

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 8:00 Quote
I got a nice new 2x chainguide a little while ago for like 20$ from a shop. 2x stuff is basically free at this point.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 8:02 Quote
2015 2x Guide
look like this

Two little jockey wheels in there.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 8:51 Quote
do you know how the chain skips across the wheels? is it just like a forced thing like when you change the gear, it automatically changes? If I were to do it based off of that design, then what do you guys think I need to keep in mind? like measurement wise and stuff. And also, is there a chain guide that is like under $30? preferably less, but if there is one around that price, then if you could say the name and where to get it from that would be awesome. Thanks

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 10:14 Quote
The chain just auto skips the jockey wheels, works great. I think it's important that the jockey wheels have the right spacing, which depends on your crank. The MRP system could be easily modified with the right shims.

They are out there man, you might have to wait for one to pop up.

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 11:11 Quote
Both Sram and Shimano do cheap-ish 10sp clutch mechs, would that not be a better option? Or are they not cheap enough?

Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 12:02 Quote
Chain guides are basically necessary for 2x drivetrains, even with a clutch there is just so slack in the chain that they tend to come off when things get rowdy in high gears.

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 15:15 Quote
Yeah ok cool thank you I'll just keep on looking and hopefully, I'll either find a design that works or find a good cheap one online. What companies should I be looking out for?

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 15:17 Quote
Oh yeah, and another reason I'm struggling to find one is because I have the ISCG 05 on my bike and there doesn't seem to be many 2x drivechains with that as an option so I guess I would ask if the like ISCG OLD would work with my bike?

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 19:57 Quote
skerby wrote:
Chain guides are basically necessary for 2x drivetrains, even with a clutch there is just so slack in the chain that they tend to come off when things get rowdy in high gears.

No

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 20:01 Quote
http://www.jensonusa.com/Blackspire-Stinger-Chain-Tensioner-Black-Iscg-05-Mount?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAiArOnUBRBJEiwAX0rG_egl44uW99_vZ-2nJMbqjdSMm_yAcWhZJys5Yxsh4Rv_U7vSeXA1BxoCHx0QAvD_BwE

$32 iscg05

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 20:33 Quote
Yeah, thank you for that ^^^ I'm not really sure what that is? I was originally looking for something like the MRP 2x one that was posted above.

And also noted earlier, about the slack in the chain and the chain always coming off, My chain doesn't come off that often even with pretty hard riding and the chain jumping off isn't my problem, I'm just trying to quieten things down a little

Posted: Mar 4, 2018 at 7:48 Quote
Im sorry I sold mine. I have an iscg old 2x guide, but it's not gonna help.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009930
Mobile Version of Website