2018 Kona Process 153 29r Upgrades?

PB Forum :: Kona
2018 Kona Process 153 29r Upgrades?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 2, 2018 at 18:35 Quote
So, after 2 weeks of riding my new Process 153 29'r...im pretty much in love.

Now its time to look at upgrading parts.

I am 240lbs, so i know i could lose weight to help my riding (working on it, down from 420)....but where could I save some weight/upgrade parts on this bike without sacrificing strength? Any thoughts?

Thinking carbon bars, maybe lighten up the wheel set/better wheels....cranks?

Whats everyone doing to theirs?

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 13:22 Quote
Went with new wheelset. New remote for the dropper. Waiting on the charger dampener for the fork. Also went with 2.5 dhf tires front and rear. And of course a new saddle

Posted: Mar 3, 2018 at 22:33 Quote
Any info on what wheelset you went with?

Charger damper make a big difference on the Yari?

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 at 17:39 Quote
Ended up having some new wheels built/ordered. Spank Oozy Trail 345's with Bitex hubs, and picked up a Wolftooth dropper lever, and a Renthal Fatbar Carbon 40mm rise bar.

Now to work on some suspension

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 16, 2018 at 16:16 Quote
Sounds like your on the right track. Charger damper upgrade would be the next step. Also a shock with a piggyback (super delux) does a lot of good once funds allow or in my opinion a coil shock is even better. The progressiveness of the leverage rate curve is great for a coil just make sure you get a spring appropriate for your weight. Rear end is super stiff and getting the piggyback or coil on there just makes it feel smoother and deeper feeling travel.

FL
Posted: May 2, 2018 at 14:39 Quote
Xt 11-46 cassette been a big improvement, lighter, much bigger range.

Novyparts Damper upgrade for Yari, has been brilliant, Fast suspension offer the more expensive Yari up and a cheaper external LSC with HSC set for your weight too. Huge improvement on DH runs

I'd love to get some lighter wheels too

Posted: May 2, 2018 at 18:10 Quote
I did the wheels and bars.

About to install a MRP Ribbon and the new Hazzard...that should complete the bike for me

Posted: Sep 1, 2018 at 14:39 Quote
My mods:

Maxxis minion ss 2.3 rear

Sunrace 11-50 Cassette

Xt rear derailleur

Xt m8020 brakes

Sram gx grip shift

Renthal 50mm stem+spank 800 bar

Chromag saddle

Still need to do the shock&fork mods

Saving for the carbon frame

Posted: Sep 30, 2018 at 3:28 Quote
Anybody been able to fit a chain guide/ bash guard? The way the top ISCG drop-in is recessed, I can’t figure how to make it work without using two separate pieces. I already have a e13 one-piece and I’d rather not buy a new one. BTW, the 153 29 CR is hands down the best bike I’ve owned- and probably the sexiest looking.

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2018 at 20:01 Quote
You just need to find the right spacers, I got a chain guide on mine. Bit of a pain to get it just right, but one have to do it once.

Posted: Nov 10, 2018 at 15:01 Quote
Thought this would be the best place to ask but what’s everyone running in terms of rear shocks? I’ve heard the base ones aren’t amazing and prefer fox over rock shoxs. And because it’s the 29 and kinda steam rolls everything was gonna go straight to a DHx2 to make it even more of a monster truck. But on another thread read that Kona don’t recommend going to a coil because it’s hard to get set up as well as an air and even harder to get better than air on the new process so thought about a float x2. So was curious to what everyone is specing?

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 11, 2018 at 14:21 Quote
Mark-The-Mint-Man wrote:
Thought this would be the best place to ask but what’s everyone running in terms of rear shocks? I’ve heard the base ones aren’t amazing and prefer fox over rock shoxs. And because it’s the 29 and kinda steam rolls everything was gonna go straight to a DHx2 to make it even more of a monster truck. But on another thread read that Kona don’t recommend going to a coil because it’s hard to get set up as well as an air and even harder to get better than air on the new process so thought about a float x2. So was curious to what everyone is specing?

The X2 isn't super progressive so you'd have to pack it with spacers. I've seen a couple of X2s on the new process though over on the Kona Cog website.

I'm running a DPX2 on mine and it's been a solid upgrade over the stock Deluxe RT that was on my 27.5 CR. On my bike the 62.5mm travel shock clears at bottom out so I went that option which gives about 160mm rear travel as well.

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 8:36 Quote
Mine came with a super deluxe and I love it. Given this bike’s intended use it’s weird they didn’t spec all models with piggy back shocks.

Posted: Nov 16, 2018 at 17:49 Quote
yeah it's what caused me to go to the next model up just because i didn't know when i would be able to replace the shock, and didn't want to get stuck with a non piggy back for a month or two

O+
Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 9:06 Quote
First ride yesterday; damn this bike is sick AF! I cannot believe how well it climbs and rails turns.
photo

My mods:

Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5WT front tubeless

Maxxis HR II 2.3 rear tubeless

XT 11-42 Cassette + Wolftooth 49GC

XT rear derailleur w/ XTR shifter

Zee brakesets

XT 170mm cranks w/ WT 32T oval ring

One Up composite pedals

Renthal 40mm stem+ 30mm rise carbon bar 35mm clamp

FSA zero stack cartridge headset

Deity Knuckleduster grips & seat clamp

Fox Transfer 150mm dropper with Wolftooth ReMote

Tioga Outland Spyder saddle

30mm internal carbon rims laced to Novatec hubs

Fox Float X2 shock

RC2 Charger damper swapped with Yari MoCo

30.5 lbs

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.029011
Mobile Version of Website