2018 Kona Process 153 29r Upgrades?

PB Forum :: Kona
2018 Kona Process 153 29r Upgrades?
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 24, 2018 at 15:40 Quote
Wow, you got down to 30.5?! That's awesome, I have the same exact bike in XL. I've done some similar mods (carbon wheels, XT derailleur, XT brakes, renthal stem) but I'm still over 34. Which mods do you think shaved you most of the weight?

Staktup wrote:
First ride yesterday; damn this bike is sick AF! I cannot believe how well it climbs and rails turns.
photo

My mods:

Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5WT front

Maxxis HR II 2.3 rear

XT 11-42 Cassette + Wolftooth 49GC

XT rear derailleur w/ XTR shifter

Zee brakesets

XT 170mm cranks w/ WT 32T oval ring

Renthal 40mm stem+ 30mm rise carbon bar 35mm clamp

FSA zero stack cartridge headset

Deity Knuckleduster grips & seat clamp

Fox Transfer 150mm dropper with Wolftooth ReMote

Tioga Outland Spyder saddle

30mm internal carbon rims laced to Novatec hubs

Fox Float X2 shock

RC2 Charger damper swapped with Yari MoCo

30.5 lbs

O+
Posted: Dec 24, 2018 at 17:04 Quote
I think it being 2 frame sizes smaller helps but I haven’t checked frame weights to determine that. I have carbon bars and am using One Up composite pedals too. Maybe I am running lighter tire casings too?

I am using a low tech luggage scale though; my friend’s stock Canyon Spectral 650b Large bike is registering 27.5 lbs and he is running tubeless with One Up composite pedals too.

My advice: get a low tech luggage scale Smile

Posted: Dec 28, 2018 at 7:03 Quote
That's what I use!
Staktup wrote:
I think it being 2 frame sizes smaller helps but I haven’t checked frame weights to determine that. I have carbon bars and am using One Up composite pedals too. Maybe I am running lighter tire casings too?

I am using a low tech luggage scale though; my friend’s stock Canyon Spectral 650b Large bike is registering 27.5 lbs and he is running tubeless with One Up composite pedals too.

My advice: get a low tech luggage scale Smile

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 17:51 Quote
Anyone run a 170mm One Up dropper post on their Medium frame? My 150mm Fox Transfer is about 1-2 cm too long. I think the 170 lower half will work since it is shorter than the Transfer and then I can shim it down to where I want it, but I can't return if I am wrong and the pst gets scratched.

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 21:19 Quote
i went with a ohlins coil on my gen2.
ohlins coil

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 14:21 Quote
I just bought a X2 here on PB and it came without bushing for the lower eye. Do I just need an old school metal bushing? Are they all same size?

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 18:45 Quote
stefun72 wrote:
I just bought a X2 here on PB and it came without bushing for the lower eye. Do I just need an old school metal bushing? Are they all same size?

No, Fox sells nylon or some other plastic-derivative bushing. I think 8x30 but check with Fox first. I bought replacements from Jenson USA.

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 22:47 Quote
Staktup wrote:
stefun72 wrote:

No, Fox sells nylon or some other plastic-derivative bushing. I think 8x30 but check with Fox first. I bought replacements from Jenson USA.
Thanks

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2019 at 6:10 Quote
Actually, I got it from Worldwide Cyclery:

Fox Rear Shock Mounting Hardware 8mm x 29.9mm (1.180) 5 Piece Aluminum 1 $15.00

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
Damn near perfect the way it came, the one weak spot was the wheel set. The bearing in the rear hub went out after roughly 6 months of infrequent riding (including a long weekend at Whistler and a race weekend at Silver Mtn). Apparently the SRAM hubs are known for that. Built up these Hope 4’s with the new Stan’s Flow EX 3’s. They are great! Keeping the original wheels with DH tires and cush core for bike park abuse.
Kona Process 153 29

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 0:21 Quote
Staktup wrote:
First ride yesterday; damn this bike is sick AF! I cannot believe how well it climbs and rails turns.
photo

My mods:

Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5WT front tubeless

Maxxis HR II 2.3 rear tubeless

XT 11-42 Cassette + Wolftooth 49GC

XT rear derailleur w/ XTR shifter

Zee brakesets

XT 170mm cranks w/ WT 32T oval ring

One Up composite pedals

Renthal 40mm stem+ 30mm rise carbon bar 35mm clamp

FSA zero stack cartridge headset

Deity Knuckleduster grips & seat clamp

Fox Transfer 150mm dropper with Wolftooth ReMote

Tioga Outland Spyder saddle

30mm internal carbon rims laced to Novatec hubs

Fox Float X2 shock

RC2 Charger damper swapped with Yari MoCo

30.5 lbs

Alas, with a few “return to stock mods”, I plan to sell this bad boy in the near future. I’ll keep the 111 but I already have a DH rig and the 153 has to go to make room for the new baby coming home... keep an eye out for it!

Posted: Apr 30, 2020 at 5:40 Quote
Does anyone here know the correct size for rear shock? I’m looking for a rockshox super deluxe and my bike is still at my brothers in Hemet. I’d like to get the shock sooner then later. Eye to eye and the stroke please. Thank you 2018 Kona 153 al/dL 29er

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2020 at 6:34 Quote
Manny1331 wrote:
Does anyone here know the correct size for rear shock? I’m looking for a rockshox super deluxe and my bike is still at my brothers in Hemet. I’d like to get the shock sooner then later. Eye to eye and the stroke please. Thank you 2018 Kona 153 al/dL 29er

Ask him to take a picture or read it off the shock, but my records show 205x60 ( I don't have the bike anymore)

Posted: Apr 30, 2020 at 7:35 Quote
Staktup wrote:
Manny1331 wrote:

Ask him to take a picture or read it off the shock, but my records show 205x60 ( I don't have the bike anymore)
Thanks man yea I will hit up my bro. There some good deals right now $150 for a super deluxe on here.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024721
Mobile Version of Website