Nomad C 3 vs Patrol C vs Bronson 2 for a shortie!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Nomad C 3 vs Patrol C vs Bronson 2 for a shortie!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2018 at 9:58 Quote
Its monday and im not working because- BIKES distracting.

I am finally looking to upgrade from my 2009 Santa Cruz BLT C. The BLT has handled everything from runs in the park to 6hr alpine rides. I know with the modern style AM/trail/endro bikes I will lose some climbing efficiency, but that is ok so long as the bike still pedals decently. Im going on trips to Moab and BC again this year, and want to try those places on a bigger bike! I also hear that 27.5 will change my life?! Wink

My challenge is my reach/ inseam length and that at ~125# its not as easy to throw a bigger bike around. The first gen nomad was a NIGHTMARE for me. My BLT has a reach of ~38cm, TT length of 54.6 and a 70.6 stand over. The perfect bike (i think) would be the bronson in xs with a 160 fork- but it doesn't exist!

Thanks to the frame change folks are blowing out the Nomad C3 and the other two bikes are available used near me but if there is another bike to think about...that is available used/small suggest!.

Pinkbike sages- what is your experience on long climbs with the Nomad and the Patrol? Any other shorties out there willing to weigh in on the maneuverability of these bikes?

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 21:20 Quote
Check out the new Canyon Spectral. They specifically make smaller sizes for women and shorter riders. Great spec and prices for a brand new bike and they can handle pretty much any type of riding with 140 rear and 150 front suspension. They pedal extremely well too., Will be much better than the other ones you have in mind. Also the YT Jeffsy in small should work out well and also great spec and price. Both much more manageable bikes to climb on than the Patrol or Nomad.

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 13:09 Quote
How short is short? I am 5’ 3” and ride a small Bronson 2 and a medium ibis mojo 3. Both set up to have the same reach from saddle to handle bar grips. If you are my height, try the small Bronson or maybe a small SC 5010.

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 13:21 Quote
smarple wrote:

YES. If my employer knew how much time I've spent in forums and reading reviews, I might need another job...

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2018 at 15:33 Quote
Thanks @lucythefin I will look at Canyon- i have ousted the nomad and patrol in my search actually for climbing, but nice to see that confirmed

@ckspeed, im just 5'3 with an abysmal reach. Good to see the bronson 2 works for you! its so much larger feeling than the BLT it replaced.

Posted: Mar 18, 2018 at 16:06 Quote
I'm 5'4 and the bronson2 small is perfect for me. The thing I really like about the santa cruz bikes is that you can insert the dropper all the way to the collar, there are no insertion depth issues. I can actually run a 125mm dropper with no issues on my bike.

On many of the small bikes from other manufacturers there are often insertion depth issues on the seat tube due to linkage design.

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 at 15:02 Quote
smarple wrote:

I am finally looking to upgrade from my 2009 Santa Cruz BLT C. The BLT has handled everything from runs in the park to 6hr alpine rides. I know with the modern style AM/trail/endro bikes I will lose some climbing efficiency, but that is ok so long as the bike still pedals decently. Im going on trips to Moab and BC again this year, and want to try those places on a bigger bike! I also hear that 27.5 will change my life?! Wink

My challenge is my reach/ inseam length and that at ~125# its not as easy to throw a bigger bike around. The first gen nomad was a NIGHTMARE for me. My BLT has a reach of ~38cm, TT length of 54.6 and a 70.6 stand over. The perfect bike (i think) would be the bronson in xs with a 160 fork- but it doesn't exist!

Thanks to the frame change folks are blowing out the Nomad C3 and the other two bikes are available used near me but if there is another bike to think about...that is available used/small suggest!.

Pinkbike sages- what is your experience on long climbs with the Nomad and the Patrol? Any other shorties out there willing to weigh in on the maneuverability of these bikes?

I loved my Nomad. I had both the Large Bronson v1 and the Large Nomad v3 and I've done some loooonnnnnng climbs with it. It's comfortable, the differences between the two going up isn't huge, the difference between the two going down is definitely noticeable. Nomad is a plow bike, that could be a fun playful bike if you setup your suspension correctly... No experience on the Patrol though!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010193
Mobile Version of Website