Enduro bike as an only bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Enduro bike as an only bike
Previous Page |
Posted: Mar 6, 2018 at 22:21 Quote
I’m looking to buy my first modern FS bike after progressing my skills on a 26er hardtail. The bikes I am considering are the YT Capra 27 and Jeffsy 27 both in the AL spec. The Capra is 170/170 and the Jeffsy is 150/150 in terms of travel.

On size Large for each, the geometries are not extremely different. The Capra is 15mm longer total and 1.5 degrees slacker in the head tube. 66.5 vs 65.

I don’t want to be overbiked and make my local trails seem boring but there are aspects of the Capra that appeal to me.

Considering the Capra has geometry similar to that of some short travel bikes, say transition scout, on my home trails could I make it feel like less bike by packing it full of volume spacers and running slightly higher shock pressure front and rear? If I set my suspension so I’m only I’m only using 140mm of the 170mm, would it feel just like a 140mm bike with the same geometry?

I want a bike that can be popped of lips easily and doesn’t soak everything up, but at the same time could handle a lift service bike park.

TL;DR Can I run the suspension of a long travel enduro rig really hard to make it feel like less travel? Is this a bad idea and I should just get a shorter travel bike?

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 10:03 Quote
My riding is not usually crazy technical but plenty of moderate jumps and drops. Nothing the Jeffsy couldn’t handle I just wonder if I could make the Capra feel like a slightly slacker Jeffsy on local trails and open it up for the park.

Is this a bad idea and I’ll regret going with the Capra? 20mm of extra travel doesn’t seem like a whole lot to me.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 10:29 Quote
Well, kind of.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with shoving your suspension full of spacers to reduce your usable travel. However, Remember that you can only run 4 tokes max in a 170mm Lyrik 27.5. So, even if you max it out, you're still going to have to run so much pressure that your small-bump compliance is going to be virtually non-existent. For me, that's enough reason right there to be concerned. I haven't worked with the Super Deluxe shocks much, but I'd expect that you'd have the same type of issue there.

There are also some things that geo charts just don't capture. Suspension platform leverage ratios, shock tunes, and geo at the sag point are all examples of things that dramatically affect the ride quality of a bike, but are hard to find good information on. Even in the event that you can somehow tune your suspension to reduce the travel and get decent performance out of it, it's still going to feel substantially different from a like-geo bike with shorter travel.

SO

All that said, I'd go back to basics on the "which bike should I buy" question, and pick a bike that:

1- Suits your riding style
2- Aligns with your goals as a rider
3- That you look at and think "Damn I want to ride that"

IMO, it sounds like you want to get faster downhill, learn to jump, and develop that "SEND IT!" attitude. If that's the direction you're headed, I'd definitely err on the side of being overbiked and get the Capra. It's not the last bike you're ever going to ride; get it, ride the hell out of it, and when you've achieved your goals for downhilling and jumping, sell it and get something that's more of an all-rounder.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 12:49 Quote
Thanks so much for the detailed response.

I’m not really worried about small bump sensitivity as my current ride has almost none. 60mm coil spring hardtail with 2.1 inch tires. I demoed a Trek Remdy 8 and it felt like a magic carpet even with the sag at 25%. Now I’m used to the old bike again so almost anything is going to feel super smooth by comparison.

I definitely do want to go bigger and “SEND IT!” and a bike with a little more room for error could be good. Even though I feel like the Jeffsy would be plenty of bike for almost all riding, I don’t know how different it would seem compared to the capra to me. Both are so far from my current bike and relatively close to each other I don’t know if I could differentiate.

Do you think I could? My current bike is about 1050mm in wheelbase with an HA of 70 and a 100mm stem and 640mm bar. I can still do some decent jumps about 10 feet in length. Would I be able to tell the difference between the Jeffsy, Remedy, and Capra if it wasn’t a back to back comparison?

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 13:12 Quote
I can't speak for the Remedy, but between the Jeffsy and the Capra, you will 100% notice a difference. There is a totally different feel to the suspension.

Let me put it to you this way:

I own a Jeffsy 29 CF (which is my baby), and have put in some decent miles on a friend's 27 Al Comp. They feel basically the same. I threw a leg over an old Capra (2016 version) playing musical bikes on a group ride, and the increases in capability and "plow factor" were so pronounced that a week later I ordered a 2018 Capra 27 AL. If the old version was that much different, I can't imagine how insanely capable--and different feeling from the Jeffsy--this new batch must be.

Again, the geo and travel numbers don't ever tell the whole story. The ride quality is very different.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 13:17 Quote
Also, if you personally can't tell the difference, why wouldn't you want the bigger bike?

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 14:54 Quote
Exactly. I would want the bigger bike. Ideally it would help me if I need it on really rough or big features but still be fun for trails that are lower key. Do you think the Capra fits this bill?

I also like that the Capra comes with a bash guard, integrated Downtube protection, neater cable routing, and a shorter seat tube.

Thanks for the input.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 16:25 Quote
Sounds like you are looking for a do it all bike, which is essentially an enduro or YT Capra. If you think you will be doing more trail riding than downhilling I would lean towards the Jeffsy.

I had the same predicament except I use to ride only downhill/freeride. I purchased a Jeffsy after a long debate between the two, I just realize I am going to be doing more trail riding than chairlift riding in my future.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 17:12 Quote
Right now I do mostly trail but would like to do more chairlift and big hit terrain in the future. The majority of my riding will still be pedal up no matter the bike but the Capra is supposed to be good good at that. I think I’ll go with the Capra I just have to wait till mid April for the AL to be available.

Out of curiosity how would a Jeffsy would perform in a bike park? Would the geometry and fox 34 hold it back at all? Or the less travel and different kinematics?

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 21:09 Quote
Depends on the lift service in question. If you're looking to do gaps, drops, and other park features, you'd be a little under-gunned (hence why I'm on the Goat bandwagon). If you're there for more wheels-on-the-ground type riding, unless you end up on a legit dh course, you'll be fine. Still, I'd take the Capra over my beloved Jeffsy at the bike park any day.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 21:11 Quote
well I went from a Walmart bike to a 160/160mm enduro bike and I love it, yes it took some getting used to but I found that starting on a low end bike and going to that made my skills have a really good start because I learnt to bunnyhop and everything on a Walmart bike so when I got on a slack full sus bike, I found everything much easier, and now have found that my skills are progressing really fast because I rode so much on that Walmart bike. I would say go for it cause it's not like as soon as you get you aren't going to like it, then not ride, because bikes are great, and especially with such nice bikes like the Capra, you won't find it that hard. One piece of advice I do have though and what I struggled with is maintenance, I would advise getting a bike shop on your side that you can call up for help and go in for help, my LBS has been my savior and without them I would have dropped a lot more money on everything, and I would not have such a dialled in bike, because they taught me a lot of their hacks.

Posted: Mar 7, 2018 at 22:00 Quote
Definitely want to some jumps if I’m in a park which makes me think Capra. And I can definitely relate to the Walmart bike feeling. After months of progressing on my old GT avalanche and getting to the point where I can be confident and fast on techy trails, the 150/160 trek remedy felt automatic on jumps and made me involuntarily go faster. My first ride back on the GT I didn’t give time to adjust and immediately went over the top of a berm trying to rail it too fast. The Capra isn’t that much more bike than the Remedy so it should be good for me and if it’s too much I can add some volume spacers and a few extra psi.

How does your LBS feel about buying direct? I know mine is pretty against it but could still help with issues I’m sure.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 at 5:15 Quote
Jeff-Cu wrote:
Definitely want to some jumps if I’m in a park which makes me think Capra. And I can definitely relate to the Walmart bike feeling. After months of progressing on my old GT avalanche and getting to the point where I can be confident and fast on techy trails, the 150/160 trek remedy felt automatic on jumps and made me involuntarily go faster. My first ride back on the GT I didn’t give time to adjust and immediately went over the top of a berm trying to rail it too fast. The Capra isn’t that much more bike than the Remedy so it should be good for me and if it’s too much I can add some volume spacers and a few extra psi.

How does your LBS feel about buying direct? I know mine is pretty against it but could still help with issues I’m sure.

The geo on the Jeffsy and Capra are pretty similar, from what I have heard the Jeffsy will deffinately pedal better than a Capra but it is still a very capable climber. I don’t think you will regret the Capra, especially if you were considering the 27inch models, I got the 29er Jeffsy, if I was going 27 I would absolutely go Capra. Already eyeballing one for next season.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 at 5:37 Quote
Well i'm not to sure how they fell about buying direct, but I got my bike straight from my lbs, so I wouldn't really have a reason to ask them, but they get all of their bikes direct, and I know a few people who say they are fine with it, others say it is the worst thing you can do. I don't really know why, but that's what they say.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007253
Mobile Version of Website