Enduro bike as an only bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Enduro bike as an only bike
Posted: Mar 8, 2018 at 7:55 Quote
Capra it is then. I don’t think I’ll regret it either I’m just trying to avoid regret.

I talked to my LBS about YT and he said he couldn’t get one to resale just because he wouldn’t make money without jacking up the price.

Posted: Mar 9, 2018 at 13:45 Quote
Capra. Will be harder world on long days in the saddle with climbing but you will get used to that and know no different and then you have the big bike under you for when you want to hit bit stuff. I ride with a fe Capra riders and they love them and pedal them about all fine.

Posted: Mar 10, 2018 at 17:37 Quote
I agree with the Capra decision. I take my Insurgent out on technical XC trails when I don't feel like riding my hardtail and it is still fun. If I had to choose one bike for me it would be the Insurgent because while it is a little slower on pedally sections I'm not racing and if anything it is helping me build strength.

Posted: Mar 10, 2018 at 19:54 Quote
I think the insurgent is almost exactly in the sweet spot of what I want, between the jeffsy and the Capra. In geo and travel I’d say it’s almost closer to the jeffsy, just with the head angle of the Capra. It’s attitude, hard to quantify, also seems more like the Capra.

If the Insurgent perfectly fits what I want, but I’m not willing to pay Evil’s price tag, would you say Capra? Or a different bike?

Posted: Mar 10, 2018 at 20:12 Quote
I’d say I’ll probably get 10-15 park days in a year and almost 100 days on regular trails. I don’t want to get lazy on the more mellow trails and think the jeffsy would be better for most of my riding.
Right now I’m still at the point where I would get the Capra and put a bunch of spacers in the fork and shock with slightly stiff pressure for most of my trails to make it a little more lively.
I’d have ordered it already if it was in stock.

Posted: Mar 11, 2018 at 23:56 Quote
I'd say get the Jeffsy at 150/150 and then down the road get a 36 or lyric for it at 160/170 and the longer shock for it and you'd be able to hit all the big stuff.
Also you can check out Guerilla Gravity, either the Shred Dog or Megatrail. Same bike, just different builds. Shred Dog build runs a shorter stroke shock for 135-145 adjustable rear suspension and about 150 fork. Megatrail build runs a longer stroke shock for 155-165 rear suspension and 160/170 fork. So really trail and big Enduro bike all in one. Plus you can fit 29" wheels too, some people run it as a 29er for fast flowy stuff.

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 5:08 Quote
The difference in efficiency due to travel length isn't the only consideration. The geometry is probably more important and running the suspension with high pressure will not make it feel like a shorter travel bike. Trying to climb up a steep rocky hill with a 65* HTA and overly stiff (and overly sprung if you don't change your rebound setting too) suspension does not sound fun. The Jeffsy already looks pretty slack for a trail bike.

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 21:29 Quote
Both of those GG bikes look damn sweet on paper. Either could be perfect for me I just don’t want to shell out 4 grand for the second tier model which has marginally better spec than the YTs. I could go for the lowest spec GG but that’s a pretty significant step down in kit and at 3 grand is still more expensive. Maybe I could live with the Suntour Aion and lower range cassette.

I’m not really worried about climbing ability in the Capra. I don’t do very much techy climbing but I think I could appreciate a challenge of doing it on a big bike when I do come across some. I’m more concerned with the Capra being overkill for most of my descending. As far as geometry, the Capra is not crazy slack and long. It has geometry quite similar to some 140ish mm bikes.

I’m not longer planning pump the shocks rock hard, but instead run lots of volume spacers with normal pressure. I’m not trying to turn it into a slack short travel bike like The Calling or the Scout, but wouldn’t this suspension adjustment help mitigate the possible problem of making my local trails feel like fire roads.

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 23:04 Quote
Running loads of spacers really compromises the suspension, and you're better off running it optimised around it's intended use. It'll still pedal great, and if what you really want is snappier*, but with enduro style geometry, there are options out there.

*pun intended, I snapped several Capra's. They're awesome bikes when they're in one piece.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 5:04 Quote
The 2018 capra climbs way better than it should for a 170mm travel bike. I am clearing climb on this that I normally lose traction on the Stumpjumper. I bought mine with the intention of using it for Enduro races and bike park days and the 2016 stumpjumper for general trail duties. I am having to reassess this now as the Capra is just so enjoyable to ride.
It also doesn't flatten the trails. I can still pop it off little kickers and it still feels fun and lively. The extra suspension seems to just help it not get caught up as it just seems to pick up speed. I test rode a Nomad v4 and it was the opposite. It was like a magic carpet ride and felt almost impossible to get pop off little kickers as it just soaked everything up.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 7:45 Quote
I really like to hear that. I want a bike I can take to park and go big on, but also be able to have fun with on the smaller stuff. The Capra might not be the unicorn bike for this job, but I think will still do it very well, and better all around than the Jeffsy. I’m 6’ and would get the size L. 6’ is right on the edge between L and XL and by opting for the smaller size I should get a more agile and “snappy” bike.
I also think that for 2500, the Capra is one of the best value bikes in its class. I haven’t found anything at that price point with similar geometry and decent build. I’m open to hearing about new bikes, though. The GG bikes were very interesting to compare to.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 8:00 Quote
I’m the same height and went XL. Glad I did as it doesn’t feel that big at all. A bit longer than the stumpjumper but a L would definitely have felt too small for me.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 9:08 Quote
muggomagic wrote:
I’m the same height and went XL. Glad I did as it doesn’t feel that big at all. A bit longer than the stumpjumper but a L would definitely have felt too small for me.

What size Stumpy are you on?

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 10:28 Quote
I was thinking L because the reach would be the same as the Trek Remedy I demoed which felt great for me. I’m coming off of a size small hardtail and that’s the bike I’ve progressed the most on so I’m more accustomed to the shorter feel. The size L is also quite similar in reach and stack to the size L Jeffsy. I think the L would fit me well and would add even more agility and a snappier feel.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 11:02 Quote
Suspension travel itself has no bearing on how practical a bike is to trail ride. Overall weight isn't that big of deal either, unless it's over 35 lb.

Suspension action and setup is important. Minimal dive from the fork, with correct damping and sag in the rear for reasonable pedaling.

Wheel weight and tire rolling resistance are probably the most important. Wheels with a rim under 450g and tires under 800g with a low rolling resistance rear will make any enduro bike very trail friendly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008530
Mobile Version of Website