Enduro bike as an only bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Enduro bike as an only bike
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 15:15 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
muggomagic wrote:
I’m the same height and went XL. Glad I did as it doesn’t feel that big at all. A bit longer than the stumpjumper but a L would definitely have felt too small for me.

What size Stumpy are you on?

I’m on a L stumpjumper

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 15:28 Quote
muggomagic wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:
muggomagic wrote:
I’m the same height and went XL. Glad I did as it doesn’t feel that big at all. A bit longer than the stumpjumper but a L would definitely have felt too small for me.

I’m on a L stumpjumper

Huh. I'm 6'0'' on a large Jeffsy, and ordered a large Capra, with the idea that the reach and stack numbers on the Capra are already larger than the Jeffsy. Guess we'll see.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 15:31 Quote
I'm a smidge under 6 foot and bought a large capra and the fit seems bang on to me. It's all personal preference though, but I'm happy with my decision buying an L

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 16:13 Quote
I’m pretty set on buying the large I just wish there it was available sooner like the XL. At least it’s not like the other sizes which say available starting October. That’s a long wait.

Considering I already saw the date on the large be pushed back, from 3/21 to 4/18, should I order sooner rather than wait for April to order? Or would ordering before then not matter and delays would be the same?

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 16:18 Quote
They sell in batches before they build, so if you order last you go to the back of the queue which will mean you won't be getting one on the 'available' date you see now, but rather the date forecast in April.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 17:42 Quote
The site says available from 4/18. If I order now, I know I wouldn’t get it till after then. But would I be more likely to get it sooner if I ordered now, as opposed to ordering on 4/18?

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 18:00 Quote
Jeff-Cu wrote:
The site says available from 4/18. If I order now, I know I wouldn’t get it till after then. But would I be more likely to get it sooner if I ordered now, as opposed to ordering on 4/18?

Yes. Very much more likely.

If it's a money thing, select the "Pay by bank transfer" option and you'll have until 10 days before shipment to tender payment. You can also change payment methods later on if need be.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 19:09 Quote
Jeff-Cu wrote:

yes, as I said, they make bathes and sell ahead, so for every person who buys one before you do, you have to wait one bike longer. As batches sell out, you'll wait whole batches longer.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 0:23 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
muggomagic wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:

I’m on a L stumpjumper

Huh. I'm 6'0'' on a large Jeffsy, and ordered a large Capra, with the idea that the reach and stack numbers on the Capra are already larger than the Jeffsy. Guess we'll see.
The Stumpjumper has always felt ok, but just ok, always felt it could be a little longer as I'm quite upright on it. Plus I read pretty much every first ride review of the capra where testers my height were saying the XL felt more suited to them. Again it's personal preference, but I'm certain the L capra would've felt too small to me.

Posted: Mar 17, 2018 at 1:01 Quote
Thanks again to everybody who has helped. I’m still staying with the Capra decision but am tempted to get a cheaper hardtail as a supplement.

I’ve been considering the Vitus Sentier and really like the look of it. It’s got decent enough spec and pretty bang on geometry as far as I’m concerned.

However, even though I am right in the middle of the size Large recommendation, I’m tempted by the medium. The medium is about 15-20mm shorter in reach and wheelbase, but has seat tube thats 50mm shorter. 1150mm WB and 430mm reach on the medium are still longer than the bike I learned the fundamentals on, but would it feel cramped? The bars on the medium are 780mm which is just what I want. I would use it for moderate trails and smashing turns as well as pump tracks and of course jumps. I love jumps. Also, considering I spend almost as much time messing around in the driveway and road as I do on the trails, low speed and high speed control are valued.

My main issue with the size large is the 480mm seat tube. I would have plenty of stand over but having learned on a bike with a seat tube of around 420 I think I might hit the saddle quite a bit. I know I would adapt to this and it wouldn’t ruin the bike, but especially for more street trails like stuff, I want the saddle as low as possible.

Considering I’ll have the Capra to take to light speed, would I be better of with a one-size-too-small hardtail, or one that fits right?

Posted: Mar 17, 2018 at 1:10 Quote
Jeff-Cu wrote:
Thanks again to everybody who has helped. I’m still staying with the Capra decision but am tempted to get a cheaper hardtail as a supplement.

I’ve been considering the Vitus Sentier and really like the look of it. It’s got decent enough spec and pretty bang on geometry as far as I’m concerned.

However, even though I am right in the middle of the size Large recommendation, I’m tempted by the medium. The medium is about 15-20mm shorter in reach and wheelbase, but has seat tube thats 50mm shorter. 1150mm WB and 430mm reach on the medium are still longer than the bike I learned the fundamentals on, but would it feel cramped? The bars on the medium are 780mm which is just what I want. I would use it for moderate trails and smashing turns as well as pump tracks and of course jumps. I love jumps. Also, considering I spend almost as much time messing around in the driveway and road as I do on the trails, low speed and high speed control are valued.

My main issue with the size large is the 480mm seat tube. I would have plenty of stand over but having learned on a bike with a seat tube of around 420 I think I might hit the saddle quite a bit. I know I would adapt to this and it wouldn’t ruin the bike, but especially for more street trails like stuff, I want the saddle as low as possible.

Considering I’ll have the Capra to take to light speed, would I be better of with a one-size-too-small hardtail, or one that fits right?

I happen to have a Vitus Sentier in large. I'm 6' tall, have a 32" inseam, and a have a 34" sleeve length. The bike fits me very well. One point, is if your planning on adding a dropper seatpost, the total insertion is about 385 mm, due the slight curve at the bottom of the seat tube, it may be shorter on a med. What I did was use a shim, and bought a 125 mm travel Reverb in a 30.9 instead of the 31.6, I can slam the post all the way down if I wanted to..so be aware of that..
I've done a few mods on mine, pic's in my profile if you care to see it..Overall, I'm very happy with the bike, the price and spec are for sure good points. Hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 17, 2018 at 10:40 Quote
Glad you like it. It does help. I’m looking at the 27.5 sentier and I notice you have the 29er. I have no doubt the Large would fit me well I’m just wondering if it would be worth it to shorten the reach by 17mm in exchange for a 50mm shorter seat tube. I also noticed that the WB or the size L 29er is almost exactly the same as the size M 27.5.
432 reach is quite short by bottom standards for a 6’ guy, but if I’m going for maximum playful and fun, would it be better? I’m not very concerned about a loss of stability at speed as the HA is the same 66 degrees, the WB is only 20mm shorter, and I’m not looking for this bike to be super stable at speed. A size L stumpjumper has a reach that’s only 10mm longer than the M Sentier, and the same WB, and isn’t Stumpjumper supposed to be all about fun?

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 20:26 Quote
Hi again,

I’ve got the Vitus hardtail now and I’m loving it. I’m still wanting to get a Capra for what I see as my ideal two bike stable, but haven’t been able to decide on sizing. The Vitus (size L) has about the same riding position as the L Capra. 450mm reach and 50mm stem on the Vitus vs 460 reach a 40 mm stem. The XL Capra has a 480mm reach and 40mm stem.
The Vitus recommends 5’10 - 6’2 for size L but the Capra only goes up to 6’. I’m 16 and 6’ and might get a little taller but don’t think I’ll be any taller than 6’1. MAYBE 6’2 but I doubt it based on my parents. I’m only on the fence because I might grow some.
Should I go for the L that will have a familiar fit? It makes sense to me that the same riding position would make switching between the two bikes easier, and the L Capra is still quite a bit longer despite the similar reach.
That being said, my wingspan is 2” longer than my height and I’m quite flexible so I could fit on the XL fine. I’ve heard sizing down is better for jumping and agility, which suits me, but would it be redundant to have the smaller Vitus and then the L Capra? I still want to be able to throw the Capra around and don’t think the difference would be too pronounced in stability as HA and travel are the same.
What would people recommend? Would 20mm longer matter?

TLDR: L or XL 2018 Capra for 6’ - 6’1 guy

Posted: Apr 6, 2018 at 6:46 Quote
I also notice that some of the superbike brands like evil, yeti, and ibis recommend relatively shorter reaches than others. Transition recommends longer.

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 19:27 Quote
Calculate your reach inclusive of stem, equate Capra or other reach including the shorter stem, factor any personal preference et voila.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007706
Mobile Version of Website