Enduro bike as an only bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Enduro bike as an only bike
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 20:13 Quote
The effective reach isn’t too different because of the more bar rise on the AL Comp. Do you think I would notice having the front wheel ~20mm farther in front of my hands? Would it significantly hinder agility to have the 30mm longer WB. 1245mm seems pretty long. Chainstays are the same.

I would still have my shorter hardtail if I crave a more nimble feel but would primarily ride the Capra.

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 23:54 Quote
Dude, it’s the wrong bike if you’re asking those questions. Pick a bike designed for your intended use rather than trying to show horn one that’s not suited.

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 11:09 Quote
I really think the Capra does suit me I want to get the right one. Might just flip a coin and see if that helps me decide

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 12:32 Quote
Jeff-Cu wrote:
Hi again,

I’ve got the Vitus hardtail now and I’m loving it. I’m still wanting to get a Capra for what I see as my ideal two bike stable, but haven’t been able to decide on sizing. The Vitus (size L) has about the same riding position as the L Capra. 450mm reach and 50mm stem on the Vitus vs 460 reach a 40 mm stem. The XL Capra has a 480mm reach and 40mm stem.
The Vitus recommends 5’10 - 6’2 for size L but the Capra only goes up to 6’. I’m 16 and 6’ and might get a little taller but don’t think I’ll be any taller than 6’1. MAYBE 6’2 but I doubt it based on my parents. I’m only on the fence because I might grow some.
Should I go for the L that will have a familiar fit? It makes sense to me that the same riding position would make switching between the two bikes easier, and the L Capra is still quite a bit longer despite the similar reach.
That being said, my wingspan is 2” longer than my height and I’m quite flexible so I could fit on the XL fine. I’ve heard sizing down is better for jumping and agility, which suits me, but would it be redundant to have the smaller Vitus and then the L Capra? I still want to be able to throw the Capra around and don’t think the difference would be too pronounced in stability as HA and travel are the same.
What would people recommend? Would 20mm longer matter?

TLDR: L or XL 2018 Capra for 6’ - 6’1 guy

Since I've last been on this thread, I've put about 70 miles on my Capra AL 27 (large). On the note of your redundancy question, I have to admit I was a little worried about what I had thought would be significant amounts of overlap between my 150/140 Jeffsy 29 and the aforementioned Capra. I was wrong. These bikes are worlds apart. The differences were apparent from the first 3 minutes on the Capra, but they really stood out when I rode them back-to-back yesterday on the same trail system. Even if you have literally the same reach/stack/seat height/crank length/handlebar (that would theoretically produce an identical fit), they are going to feel VERY different under you.

As to size, I was up against that as well. I'm 5'11.75", and the L Capra fits nearly the same as my Jeff-o, which for me is a win. Keep in mind that between the L and the XL, the differences in reach and stack can be largely nullified by changing the fore/aft positioning of your seat on the rails, adjusting spacers, swapping a stem, or getting different handlebars. And even though there's a 20mm difference in seat tube length, I've got like 70mm of dropper above the collar, so that's largely a non-issue for fit as well. Which means that, for the L and XL sizes, the only functional difference is wheelbase.

What I'm getting at is, from a sizing perspective, you can't go wrong. You will be able to get either of those into your preferred fit with a few minutes and a couple tools; worst case scenario you will get new bars and stem, which is still pretty cheap by comparison. So, that said, I would (and did) make the decision entirely based on wheelbase. The L will be a tad more maneuverable, and the XL will be a tad more stable. But realistically, compared to your Sentier, it's going to feel much more stable no matter which you choose. As a first full-suspension rig for you, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference anyway.

So with all that in mind, if I were you I'd get the large, for basically two reasons. Firstly, you're happy with the fit on you Sentier, which is strikingly similar. Second, if you're going to ride the Capra primarily, and as a trail bike, that little bit of extra maneuverability is worth having. If you were going to do a bunch of resort riding, or felt cramped on on the Vitus, I'd advise otherwise. But as it stands, I'd go for the Large.

Either way, though, I don't think you can go wrong, and by the time you get either of them dialed in, it will be well past the point of noticeable.

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 14:13 Quote
Either way, though, I don't think you can go wrong, and by the time you get either of them dialed in, it will be well past the point of noticeable.[/Quote]

Super informative and helpful. Thanks.

It’s good to hear how pronounced the differences are and it’s not like a 50mm stem will ruin the handling of I get a little taller. I think I just need to go for it and quit waffling.
Sucks that AL availability just got pushed back. Have to go for the Comp

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 15:01 Quote
Just to chime in here, I am 5'11" and I previously owned the 2015 Capra AL 1 (Medium size) and have upgraded this year to a 2018 Capra CF Pro (Large size) and will say that the Large is FAR better suited to my height even after the lengths/measurements of the frame have gone up since the previous model. It fits very well and for both bikes, I've never had issues climbing. The newer bike is amazing and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I was actually on the edge between the 18' Jeffsy and the 18' Capra but i'm glad i did not get the Jeffsy. The Capra can climb my local trails well but I do like the DH/Enduro stuff more so i opted for the Capra which sounds kinda like what your having troubles deciding between.

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 19:27 Quote
Mike-Gambino wrote:
Just to chime in here, I am 5'11" and I previously owned the 2015 Capra AL 1 (Medium size) and have upgraded this year to a 2018 Capra CF Pro (Large size) and will say that the Large is FAR better suited to my height even after the lengths/measurements of the frame have gone up since the previous model. It fits very well and for both bikes, I've never had issues climbing. The newer bike is amazing and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I was actually on the edge between the 18' Jeffsy and the 18' Capra but i'm glad i did not get the Jeffsy. The Capra can climb my local trails well but I do like the DH/Enduro stuff more so i opted for the Capra which sounds kinda like what your having troubles deciding between.

Yeah I decided to go for the bigger bike and got sort of caught up in the minutia. Debating sizes and al vs al comp. The al isn’t available till July though and I can’t wait that long. It was available sooner but I didn’t go for it.

Posted: Apr 11, 2018 at 8:30 Quote
If you're going to use it as your primary bike, I would actually suggest that you go for the Comp. Even though the bike pedals really well, having a better set of wheels and using the climb switch to get it to sit up higher in its travel will make a big difference if you're going to be doing a lot of climbing.

Posted: Apr 11, 2018 at 10:24 Quote
Aren’t the wheels the same between them? The comp is a little lighter anyway with the slightly nicer finishing kit. I agree though and think the most valuable upgrade is the super deluxe rc3. Better for for long climbs and could maybe put it in trail mode for buff flow trails.

Posted: Apr 11, 2018 at 11:05 Quote
Jeff-Cu wrote:
Aren’t the wheels the same between them? The comp is a little lighter anyway with the slightly nicer finishing kit. I agree though and think the most valuable upgrade is the super deluxe rc3. Better for for long climbs and could maybe put it in trail mode for buff flow trails.

You're totally right. Not sure how I missed that. In previous model years you'd get the 1900 on the base and the 1700 on the comp; guess I'm just stuck in the past....

Posted: Apr 11, 2018 at 12:23 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
Jeff-Cu wrote:

You're totally right. Not sure how I missed that. In previous model years you'd get the 1900 on the base and the 1700 on the comp; guess I'm just stuck in the past....

The 1900 is still pretty good right? I’ve heard DT is really tough and reliable.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009328
Mobile Version of Website