Will 100mm hubs go the way of 26" wheels?

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Will 100mm hubs go the way of 26" wheels?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 9, 2018 at 14:22 Quote
Reading reviews of new bikes even lower end cheaper bikes almost everything this coming year seems to have gone boost 110mm up front even if not at the back, in the muddy UK I think it's no bad thing a bit of extra tyre clearance as I can't see myself ever going wider than 2.5 maxxis or 2.35 Schwalbe, it seems a moment in time where tyres and fork clearance has aligned (for how long, who knows). Seeing lots of great bargain 100/142mm wheelsets as well for sale at the moment, got tempted to buy some DT Swiss on CRC at under half price, held back though. Made me think will it be like 26" rims where you liked to hope it would be another's option but instead stocks getting sold and manufacturers will for all but a token model stop doing 100mm and everything will be 110mm going forward? We going see eBay full of nice non boost Pikes and high end 100mm wheels being sold for penny's next year?

Posted: Mar 10, 2018 at 15:03 Quote
I sold my carbon exc 1550 wheels in 26” flavour for £200 to a bike trader a while back.

They retailed at £2000 odd and mine came with all adaptors and spares etc.

Keep a keen eye for them as they are unreal set of hoops!

Posted: Mar 11, 2018 at 0:54 Quote
So you think so in which case now maybe the time to move on 100mm stuff before the markets swamped.

Posted: Mar 11, 2018 at 9:04 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
Reading reviews of new bikes even lower end cheaper bikes almost everything this coming year seems to have gone boost 110mm up front even if not at the back, in the muddy UK I think it's no bad thing a bit of extra tyre clearance as I can't see myself ever going wider than 2.5 maxxis or 2.35 Schwalbe, it seems a moment in time where tyres and fork clearance has aligned (for how long, who knows). Seeing lots of great bargain 100/142mm wheelsets as well for sale at the moment, got tempted to buy some DT Swiss on CRC at under half price, held back though. Made me think will it be like 26" rims where you liked to hope it would be another's option but instead stocks getting sold and manufacturers will for all but a token model stop doing 100mm and everything will be 110mm going forward? We going see eBay full of nice non boost Pikes and high end 100mm wheels being sold for penny's next year?
I'm having a hard time finding ~30mm wide 100x15/142x12 27.5" wheels, but there seem to be plenty in the 25mm range.
My LBSs are only stocking Boost wheels now, and would have to special order non-boost.
What model DT Swiss did you see at CRC?

Posted: Mar 11, 2018 at 18:56 Quote
Probably. There are no downsides, and it gives a stiffer wheel or allows the wheel to be built with lighter spokes. I only buy boost these days.

Posted: Mar 12, 2018 at 8:33 Quote
Most of what I'm being asked to build these days is 110/148 wheel sets. I think 100mm will remain common on road bikes, but I also think higher end MTB's won't be spec'd with it much going forward.

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 at 11:43 Quote
I think 142 and 100 will be dead soon. I don't mind 100mm in 27.5 though. Plenty stuff and fox forks have massive tire clearance. My Intense came oem with boost rear and 100mm forks. Seems to work nicely. I'd love to see super boost plus replace boost. I personally wouldn't do a non boosted 29er. The extra bracing angle really matters with the big wheels.

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 at 12:22 Quote
Yes but what about that extra width at the rear end - things can get messy

Posted: Mar 16, 2018 at 16:51 Quote
Hate to say it but other than my more XC styles Bike I think I will be putting the forks and wheels on eBay before no one wants them.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020585
Mobile Version of Website