What brands are still making freeride bikes?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
What brands are still making freeride bikes?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 10, 2018 at 10:00 Quote
Seems like most brands have ditched the free ride bike.
Now the options are Enduro and Downhill.

Are Enduro bikes good enough for Freeride? The geometry has evolved into something different than what free ride bikes used to be.

What's your experience with Freeride using a modern endure bike?

Do any brands still have a good Freeride bike?

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2018 at 4:38 Quote
SeanC1 wrote:
Seems like most brands have ditched the free ride bike.
Now the options are Enduro and Downhill.

Are Enduro bikes good enough for Freeride? The geometry has evolved into something different than what free ride bikes used to be.

What's your experience with Freeride using a modern endure bike?

Do any brands still have a good Freeride bike?

I was lucky enough to get a discontinued Commencal Supreme FR (FR for freeride). However, companies are starting to bring back freeride bikes which are pretty much beefed up enduro bikes with 180/180 travel, long range cassetes and droppers. Check out the new Canyon torque or the Commencal Supreme SX

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 at 15:12 Quote
enduro bikes are basically freeride bikes with steeper seat angles so you can actually pedal.

Posted: May 2, 2018 at 21:58 Quote
adrennan wrote:
enduro bikes are basically freeride bikes with steeper seat angles so you can actually pedal.

yeah but they also have longer reach and longer wheelbase, which isn't as playful at the old freeride designs.

O+ FL
Posted: May 3, 2018 at 9:27 Quote
SeanC1 wrote:
adrennan wrote:

yeah but they also have longer reach and longer wheelbase, which isn't as playful at the old freeride designs.

man my balance has wicked short chainstays. and you can size down but this is just the evolution of geometry. i would not say the wheelbase on that bike is cumbersome

Posted: May 5, 2018 at 3:02 Quote
Knolly delirium gets my vote, I may be biased but you can really do anything with it. 170-200mm up front, 170 or 188mm of travel in the back, as well as put 26 inch wheels. But companies are bringing in 170/180mm travel bikes which are beefed up Enduro bikes pretty much. Canyon torque, commencal supreme sx, Santa Cruz nomad, cube hanzz (but why would you) propain spindrift, banshee Darkside and maybe more

Posted: May 12, 2018 at 3:03 Quote
adrennan wrote:

But also lighter frames and components. Probably resulting in weaker/less durable products with shorter lifetime.

O+ FL
Posted: May 13, 2018 at 9:20 Quote
Startgas wrote:
adrennan wrote:

But also lighter frames and components. Probably resulting in weaker/less durable products with shorter lifetime.

How often are you seeing enduro parts failing? Engineering has improved so much that we can make things lighter and stronger

Posted: May 14, 2018 at 1:27 Quote
adrennan wrote:
Startgas wrote:
adrennan wrote:

How often are you seeing enduro parts failing? Engineering has improved so much that we can make things lighter and stronger

I actually see them fail quite a bit...

Posted: May 14, 2018 at 22:46 Quote
What do you mean by freeride? is the first question. If its essentially park riding without access to a lift, so a combination of big jump trails and technical riding, see below.

Riding park I see a lot break. On top of that as someone said above they keep making the reach longer and longer making them feel awkward to be playful on, and downsizing them feels strange to ride, they feel all out of wack. The longer-lower trend makes them more stable, which is grate if you want a race bike, but for someone who dosnt race and just wants a super playful poppy bike they're not what we are after.

I have had this dilemma for a few years, hence why I still have a status as my park bike. Maybe look for an old voltage, status, tr250 etc frame and put the dropper and 1x11 on them for pedalling up roads etc. This used to be my status setup before we had a lift and it worked well.

Unless you have plenty of money, then go for the torque and let us know how it goes? First bike to come out in a while that looks like it could fit the bill, still its kinda long though. The Darkside is great in theory, but they break heaps. NS soda is an awesome bike, but its got really outdated standards on it, and looks like it has been discontinued (hope i am wrong about that though) Not ridden a rose sole fire or the knolly so cant really comment on them, but check them out as well.

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 21:34 Quote
ntd14 wrote:

Unless you have plenty of money, then go for the torque and let us know how it goes? First bike to come out in a while that looks like it could fit the bill, still its kinda long though. The Darkside is great in theory, but they break heaps. NS soda is an awesome bike, but its got really outdated standards on it, and looks like it has been discontinued (hope i am wrong about that though) Not ridden a rose sole fire or the knolly so cant really comment on them, but check them out as well.

I have a trail bike already and want something that will be playful and durable for the bike park.

I was thinking of getting a Scott Voltage or NS Soda Air this year, but both were discontinued (2017 last model for each). Not much else out there.
May just get a DH bike and call it a day...

Posted: May 31, 2018 at 18:06 Quote
Check out the Dartmoor roots too, forgot about that one

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011778
Mobile Version of Website