Help with Marzocchi DJ forks - what is the difference?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Help with Marzocchi DJ forks - what is the difference?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 20:38 Quote
I have 2 Marzocchi dj forks that I believe are both 2008 DJ2's

Both have a '08' casting mark on back side, and both use a 20mm axle.

What I need info on is what is the difference in the 2 forks I have pictured. The 1st fork has what appears to be a rebound adjuster on it while the 2nd does not.

Any help with what the difference is between the 2 as well which fork is preffered would be greatly appreciated. I added pic of serial # if that can help decipher the specific model.

Thx

photo
photo

photo
photo

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 1:33 Quote
You might have a DJ1 and a DJ3. Are there pinch bolts on the crown to clamp the stanchions? I have an (I think) 2007 dj1 , plus a 2011 dj3 with 9mm axle dropouts, a '2016 tapered steerer and 2017 straight steerer DJ1. For a few months I ran the internals of the 2007 dj1 inside the 2016 dj1. Currently have the '17 lowers and internals on the tapered '16 uppers. I would just carefully take them both apart and build one fork that uses whatever parts look to be in better shape and utilizes the most adjustment features. And refill with fresh 15 to 20 wt fork oil.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 6:02 Quote
Thx for that feedback. I dont believe either has clamp bolts on crown to clamp stantions.

Looking on the Marzocchi site I believe the 1st fork is a '08 and confident its a dj2 cause it came on a complete spec'd with a dj2 plus the decals have dj2 logo.

It appears the 2nd fork is a '09 rather than '08 if comparing diagrams on their site.

Both are non-tapered steertube, both 20mm axle.

It seems like the '08 is more adjustable either by air or with adjuster on one side. The 2nd fork, the '09 came on a complete as well, only appears to be adjustable with air.

Im reading that a '08 dj2 is preffered over a '09 dj2? Is that the concensous?

Thx

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 17:14 Quote
The Dj1 that I suspect is an 07 or earlier has a clamp for the stanchions. I don't know what the consensus is on these things other than get something different.lol

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 at 19:44 Quote
Well ive got something different. Been fortunate to have found each of my 3 dj bikes for about as much bread as a new DJ2 retails for. Have a 1420 Rebate fork on 1 dj, a newer dj1 on another....and with this trying to decide which of these 2 dj2's to keep for my Atomlab pimp.

Its all urban flat terrian were i live so I dont need a high-end susp fork, just trying to figure out this fork.

Posted: Mar 15, 2018 at 10:17 Quote
Keep the one with the most adjustment

They're both going to be tanks though, one good reason to upgrade.. I got a '17/18 Circus Expert on Wiggle for 200us when they where running a deal.. probably a pound lighter or more im guessing..

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010673
Mobile Version of Website