Anyone ride a 2018 Rift Zone?

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Anyone ride a 2018 Rift Zone?
Author Message
Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
When Performance bit the dust here in Phoenix,I picked up a 2019 Rift zone 1, . For the price you would think it would weigh more than Trump but it came in at 31lbs with pedals. The wheels and tires are guano and I switched them out. Beware the Rift zone 1 comes with a quick release skewer and adapter in the back so you'll most likely need to get a through axle if you upgrade the wheels. Any thoughts on shock replacement? I was looking at the Fox Suspension Float Performance Elite LV Rear Shock.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 11:06 Quote
azrealtortim wrote:
When Performance bit the dust here in Phoenix,I picked up a 2019 Rift zone 1, . For the price you would think it would weigh more than Trump but it came in at 31lbs with pedals. The wheels and tires are guano and I switched them out. Beware the Rift zone 1 comes with a quick release skewer and adapter in the back so you'll most likely need to get a through axle if you upgrade the wheels. Any thoughts on shock replacement? I was looking at the Fox Suspension Float Performance Elite LV Rear Shock.

Depends how much you want to spend but the RZ 2 doesn’t come with a great shock either and I put a DVO topaz on it. It’s amazing but not exactly cheap. 34 on the front was a huge upgrade too over the recon rl. The RZ 3 comes with a pretty good fork but the 1 and 2 both have the same one which isn’t very good depending on your riding style of course.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 at 6:02 Quote
I have noticed that I am currently getting a lot of pedal strikes running stock items has anyone else had the same? Wondered if changing the crank arm length would help?

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
I picked up a 2019 RockShox Sektor 150mm, I want to add it to my 2019 Riftzone 2. What do ya’ll think?

*brand new for $150 dollars Smile

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 18:58 Quote
Can’t hurt to try since you already have it but it seems a bit much for the bike.

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 9:58 Quote
Thinking of upgrading the rift zone 2.. Took it to Revolution bike park in standard spec only did the reds and a little black runs and it survived. Actually only bike in the group that didn't have a problem.
I want to make it more hard hitting... Thinking 140mm - 150mm forks but needs to be thicker stanchions
Then maybe a bullet proof set of wheels and hubs.
Then the bars stem etc.
What are peoples recommendations??

Posted: Nov 9, 2019 at 19:37 Quote
AndyF82 wrote:
Thinking of upgrading the rift zone 2.. Took it to Revolution bike park in standard spec only did the reds and a little black runs and it survived. Actually only bike in the group that didn't have a problem.
I want to make it more hard hitting... Thinking 140mm - 150mm forks but needs to be thicker stanchions
Then maybe a bullet proof set of wheels and hubs.
Then the bars stem etc.
What are peoples recommendations??

I did Chris king hubs with Stan’s flow rims. Bulletproof. 130 fox 34 and dvo topaz. HUGE difference on both. XT brakes were good upgrade too

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 0:29 Quote
Frank191 wrote:
AndyF82 wrote:
Thinking of upgrading the rift zone 2.. Took it to Revolution bike park in standard spec only did the reds and a little black runs and it survived. Actually only bike in the group that didn't have a problem.
I want to make it more hard hitting... Thinking 140mm - 150mm forks but needs to be thicker stanchions
Then maybe a bullet proof set of wheels and hubs.
Then the bars stem etc.
What are peoples recommendations??

I did Chris king hubs with Stan’s flow rims. Bulletproof. 130 fox 34 and dvo topaz. HUGE difference on both. XT brakes were good upgrade too

My RZ2 came with 32mm stanchion 130 mm forks so looking to go 34/35/36 140mm. Definitely looking for those type of rims.

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 5:57 Quote
AndyF82 wrote:
Frank191 wrote:
AndyF82 wrote:
Thinking of upgrading the rift zone 2.. Took it to Revolution bike park in standard spec only did the reds and a little black runs and it survived. Actually only bike in the group that didn't have a problem.
I want to make it more hard hitting... Thinking 140mm - 150mm forks but needs to be thicker stanchions
Then maybe a bullet proof set of wheels and hubs.
Then the bars stem etc.
What are peoples recommendations??

I did Chris king hubs with Stan’s flow rims. Bulletproof. 130 fox 34 and dvo topaz. HUGE difference on both. XT brakes were good upgrade too

My RZ2 came with 32mm stanchion 130 mm forks so looking to go 34/35/36 140mm. Definitely looking for those type of rims.

Ok for some reason the US ones came with 120 except for the RZ3. Mine came with 120 Recon RL which is garbage unless you are a beginner. Between the 34 float 130 and a high quality piggyback shock it is very capable. I was looking for a Pike 140 but got a good deal on the 34.

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 8:48 Quote
Frank191 wrote:
AndyF82 wrote:
Frank191 wrote:


I did Chris king hubs with Stan’s flow rims. Bulletproof. 130 fox 34 and dvo topaz. HUGE difference on both. XT brakes were good upgrade too

My RZ2 came with 32mm stanchion 130 mm forks so looking to go 34/35/36 140mm. Definitely looking for those type of rims.

Ok for some reason the US ones came with 120 except for the RZ3. Mine came with 120 Recon RL which is garbage unless you are a beginner. Between the 34 float 130 and a high quality piggyback shock it is very capable. I was looking for a Pike 140 but got a good deal on the 34.

What size and spec do I need to look for to replace rear shock? I think it's 210 x 50 but what size eyelet?

Posted: Nov 10, 2019 at 15:34 Quote
AndyF82 wrote:
Frank191 wrote:
AndyF82 wrote:


My RZ2 came with 32mm stanchion 130 mm forks so looking to go 34/35/36 140mm. Definitely looking for those type of rims.

Ok for some reason the US ones came with 120 except for the RZ3. Mine came with 120 Recon RL which is garbage unless you are a beginner. Between the 34 float 130 and a high quality piggyback shock it is very capable. I was looking for a Pike 140 but got a good deal on the 34.

What size and spec do I need to look for to replace rear shock? I think it's 210 x 50 but what size eyelet?

Yes it’s 210 x 50 and 25 mm with by 8 mm. It will also fit a 210 x 52.5 by my unofficial measuring. My dvo topaz t3 is adjustable but I haven’t tried to adjust it yet.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 0:28 Quote
Very interested to hear how this rides with a 140mm fork. The Aus versions also came with only 120mm so I'm planning on putting a 130mm Bomber Z2 on it.

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 11:12 Quote
So just measured the rear shock lengths to see what will fit.
210 x 50 is standard and will give 120 mm travel.
210 x 52.5 will give 126 mm travel but leaves the rear triangle within a folded paper thickness away from the frame so will fit but very close at full compression
210 x 55 will give 132mm travel but rear triangle will hit the frame.
So will it be worth running the 52.5 just for 6mm extra travel??

Posted: Nov 11, 2019 at 14:02 Quote
AndyF82 wrote:
So will it be worth running the 52.5 just for 6mm extra travel??

No
Especially since it would be voiding any warranty. Folded paper thickness doesn't account for flex under load either. I wouldn't do it.

Posted: Nov 12, 2019 at 1:03 Quote
I've come across some threads on other sites and it appears 130mm fork is the sweet spot.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014491
Mobile Version of Website