Hightower shock upgrade (135mm)

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Hightower shock upgrade (135mm)
Previous Page |
Posted: Mar 17, 2018 at 10:02 Quote
Anyone found upgrading to another shock on 135mm model offers more support & suppleness. I've been running two dif tuned monarchs with varied volume spacers, & I just can't get things ideal... Either too harsh with right sag, or too squat/wallowy with less.
I'm leaning toward a Dpx2 with hopes to find the balance.
I want to stay with 135mm to keep things sprinty when needed.
That being said, I don't wanna complain too much as this has still been my fastest bike yet.

Posted: Mar 17, 2018 at 10:17 Quote
2 people i met riding a Hightower had DVOs and they loved it.

Posted: Mar 20, 2018 at 16:38 Quote
I have a CCDBair, but in 150mm.
I do not like it right now, Im having the worst time figuring out a good tune for it, to the point where im thinking about just selling it. Not saying i dont recommend it but right now i have a hard time saying you should get one.

Dpx2 is a good shock, pretty easy to just set and forget, has a good climb switch, feels plenty plush for gnarlier stuff but not as high volume as the X2.

Posted: Mar 21, 2018 at 11:14 Quote
I went Push 11/6 and i love it.

Posted: Mar 25, 2018 at 9:37 Quote
I was thinking of trying a Öhlins TTX22M, coil spring on mine, just trying to source more info online.

Posted: Mar 29, 2018 at 19:30 Quote
I have used Float CTD, couple diff Float Xs (in long and short stroke in newer and older versions), and have been running X2 for last couple weeks. I have played around a lot with volume spacers settings etc etc on all of them and hands down my top choice would be the X2 in the normal 2" stroke 135mm travel. I really like to have a solid platform to drive off of and always struggled to have that while still having some plushness in the gnar and small bump compliance. Took a little bit to dial it in but really happy with the results.

Posted: Apr 14, 2018 at 6:12 Quote
I replaced my shock with a Fox Factory DPS EVOL, slightly firmer tune and it's vastly better than standard. Much better support in the mid stroke. Really happy with it, usually plenty in retail stores sales.

Posted: Jun 16, 2018 at 9:32 Quote
I switched to the DVO Topaz and it was way better. I'm heavier (240lbs) and the DVO can maintain correct sag for climbing so much better. I would have been pushing the limit on the X2, so I went with the Topaz for higher psi. I also like the 3 position compression adjuster. It allows me to ride 80% of the time in middle which is great for climbing and aggressive trail riding, low for chunky fast downhill, or high for long steep climbs. It's very tune-able with volume spacers for the positive and negative chamber, as well as bladder psi. I also was able to contact DVO and get good baseline settings for my size and riding fairly quick. I have over a year and a ton of hard miles or riding and racing and it is performing well. I'm going to service it soon just as a precaution. If you are lighter and more into descending, I would look at the Fox X2, but for all mountain the DVO has been awesome.

Posted: Jun 16, 2018 at 11:58 Quote
The new X2 has a 300 psi limit now so heavier riders can get that.
Im very happy with my X2 so far, still tweaking the settings and looking for the perfect set up but its still way better than the CCDBair it replaced

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 11:54 Quote
Im running a 2019 x2 setup 135mm - its amazing!

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 23:15 Quote
+1 for the X2. Made an amazing difference in the bike.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 2:36 Quote
Can the X2 riders please post their shock setup ( and riding weight) please ?

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 6:42 Quote
180lbs. i have LSC and HSC both at 23 turns (one click from open i think)
i have both high speed and low speed rebound at 16 turns from open (if i remember correctly as i may have tweaked it a bit)
205 psi, 2 volume spacers

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 8:50 Quote
Thanks, much appreciated. I have been gradually opening up the HSC and LSC. Good to know that I'm tending to the same direction. At 7 on both hsc and lsc. 190lbs

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 9:04 Quote
Thinking about buying a Hightower bc I like the colors better but I want to make sure you can long shock it to make it 150mm of travel. Can someone confirm this?

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008682
Mobile Version of Website