"Ghettocore" Homemade rim protection

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
"Ghettocore" Homemade rim protection
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2019 at 2:51 Quote
I know you're not in the UK. Looks like some enterprising person has done the hard work for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Closed-cell-foam-noodle-insert-for-tubeless-MTB-tyres/173643789883?hash=item286df9f63b:g:pJMAAOSwKQFb5c88

It's not me.. I was only looking for closed cell rods when I came across it.

FL
Posted: Feb 19, 2019 at 15:53 Quote
Here is a photo album showing the step-by-step including customizing your valve stem to work with tire inserts.

Stay pinned! Salute

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/zeeman/album/Ghetto-Tire-Insert-and-Valve-Stem/

The tricky bit. Pokie tool helps.
A peek under the the tire insert at the valve.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2019 at 0:51 Quote
Just did two for myself today. For the rear i used a 40mm sheet of EVA cut into a trapezoidal shape (45*30 ISH) and joined twice to make the full circumference.

For the front I used 10mm EVA sheet cut with. 56mm wide strip in a more Huck Norris style. $38 NZD. For all the foam and I have some spare left.

Curb tests feels good.

FL
Posted: Mar 2, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
dhridernz wrote:
Just did two for myself today. For the rear i used a 40mm sheet of EVA cut into a trapezoidal shape (45*30 ISH) and joined twice to make the full circumference.

For the front I used 10mm EVA sheet cut with. 56mm wide strip in a more Huck Norris style. $38 NZD. For all the foam and I have some spare left.

Curb tests feels good.

now THATs what I'm talking about. Been wanting to try that.

Posted: Feb 8, 2020 at 10:05 Quote
hows it been workin' out brother?? very interested

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 4:21 Quote
Nice! Do you reckon I could do this with Plastazote closed cell foam?

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2020 at 23:47 Quote
climbrunskitn wrote:
hows it been workin' out brother?? very interested

Ridiculously late. But so far so good. I am now only running the 10mm version in the rear and nothing up front on eco+ tyres.

I have had one flat in the rear from a slashed side wall and that's it. Car less than the usual.

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2020 at 23:48 Quote
Dredd14 wrote:
Nice! Do you reckon I could do this with Plastazote closed cell foam?

If it's closed cell then yes. But couldn't comment on how well it will work.

FL
Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
*This is on a wheel with Cushcore Pro*
Does anyone know what a cheap and sticky alternative to the I9 Torch tape? I taped my rim last night (2 passes even) and I waited a few minutes and air started leaking through one of the spoke hole. I think this might have happened because the torch tape when putting it on was really not sticking as well. Anyone know? Electrical, Gorilla, ect.

Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
Does anyone know what a cheap and sticky alternative to the I9 Torch tape? I taped my rim last night (2 passes even) and I waited a few minutes and air started leaking through one of the spoke hole. I think this might have happened because the torch tape when putting it on was really not sticking as well. Anyone know? Electrical, Gorilla, ect.

Gorilla tape all day. Works fine. Get a fat roll and peel off the width that fits perfect to your rim.

FL
Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 12:07 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

Gorilla tape all day. Works fine. Get a fat roll and peel off the width that fits perfect to your rim.
The weird thing is it’s just leaking through one of the spoke holes.

Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 12:59 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
BenLow2019 wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

The weird thing is it’s just leaking through one of the spoke holes.
Then the tape isn't sealed against the rim properly. It only takes the smallest defect and the air will find its way through.
Start with a CLEAN rim - use window cleaner on it all the way around. Make sure it's clean and dry. Then lay your tape down nice and tight and it should run the full width of the rim all the way around. If the tire bead doesn't sit on top of the tape then the air will find a way under the edge easier.
And you have to be very careful when installing the tire. If you use levers then you are almost certain to gouge the tape a little and that can cause your leak.
Here's a picture. Good luck.
photo

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017605
Mobile Version of Website