Large jump bike recommendations

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Large jump bike recommendations
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 27, 2018 at 4:19 Quote
Hi all. I recently brought my first mtb. It’s a large 2015 carbon norco sight with 27.5 wheels. Surprisingly it feels spot on size wise for me to do jumps on but I’m concerned it’s not going to take the beating it will get from solely riding jumps.
So can anyone recommend a good hardtail mtb i can use just for jumping? I don’t want to go down the usual dirt jump bike route as I’m 6”3’ and think they’re going to be to small for me but I also don’t want the full on mtb. So i don’t need the gears etc. Please correct me if I’m wrong with the jump bike size.

Just incase your wondering. It is my first mtb but I grow up riding/building bmx trials so not really a novice at trails.

Posted: Mar 29, 2018 at 7:18 Quote
i have a blkmrkt edit 1. they do custom sizing so i am riding what they call an XL (23" top tube). there are a few companies around doing something similar.

Posted: Mar 29, 2018 at 23:08 Quote
As discussed further in this thread . . . it's the "Reach" and "Stack" that you really need to compare between your current bike and a DJ hard tail. Measuring "actual top tube" on a full-sus compared to hard tail is a bad idea. Your current "stack" is based around a tall fork, (what, like 140mm travel?). So, roughly speaking, to keep your Stack similar, you'd want that extra 40mm in your handlebar height (because a DJ hard tail will have 100mm travel fork).

Here I've drawn the yellow on this screen shot--a really rough idea of what I'm talking about (not even counting the wheel size for a minute).

Proper DJ frame size for 6"?
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=191821

DJ bar and stem options
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=197873

Posted: Mar 30, 2018 at 7:07 Quote
http://www.standardbyke.com/26-dj-frame/

they will customize every bit of the frame you want.

Posted: Apr 3, 2018 at 16:15 Quote
I know guys your height on the transition pbj, it is pretty long for dj bike

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 6:24 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
As discussed further in this thread . . . it's the "Reach" and "Stack" that you really need to compare between your current bike and a DJ hard tail. Measuring "actual top tube" on a full-sus compared to hard tail is a bad idea. Your current "stack" is based around a tall fork, (what, like 140mm travel?). So, roughly speaking, to keep your Stack similar, you'd want that extra 40mm in your handlebar height (because a DJ hard tail will have 100mm travel fork).

Here I've drawn the yellow on this screen shot--a really rough idea of what I'm talking about (not even counting the wheel size for a minute).

Proper DJ frame size for 6"?
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=191821

DJ bar and stem options
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=197873

Wow that’s great information and make perfect sense. I’m looking at a few different off the shelf dj bikes and some secondhand custom built now so i’ll compare the geometry to find the closest frame geometry wise and make changes to the bar height etc to suit. Thanks again

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 6:30 Quote
adrennan wrote:
i have a blkmrkt edit 1. they do custom sizing so i am riding what they call an XL (23" top tube). there are a few companies around doing something similar.

Ok thanks I’ll take a take a look in to these frames. Got to be honest i’ve Not heard of them before. Cheers

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 6:40 Quote
adrennan wrote:

Just had a look, pretty cheap considering you have some much choice for sizing etc. Im assuming your somewhere close to my height so how do you find the 23 tt?

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 11:49 Quote
Grimmy wrote:
adrennan wrote:

Just had a look, pretty cheap considering you have some much choice for sizing etc. Im assuming your somewhere close to my height so how do you find the 23 tt?

I am about 6 foot but since I have gotten used to the bigger all mountain bikes, I wanted a roomier dj. I also got the taller head tube. I love the feel of the bike. BlkMrkt has been around quite a while, I just think the dj scene has faded a lot. Carter is awesome to work with and super responsive. This is my build:

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 13:10 Quote
I'm 6'1" and ride a Black Market MOB 22.5" (Large)

Here are another couple of comparisons that show you how top tube length doesn't indicate everything. When a 22.5"tt Mob is compared to a 23"tt Killswitch, the Killswitch is actually waaaay longer (more than half an inch), when you line up the center of the cranks. The reason is that the seat tube angle is totally different.

Then in another comparison, with BMX frames, the downtube and top tube don't slant upwards as much, because they don't have a tall suspension fork. The result is that a BMX bike has more "reach" or "cockpit" room for a given top tube length. So, when someone in the BMX world says they're 6 feet tall and ride a 21" top tube (Large) 20" BMX, that is not going to compare directly to a DJ frame, where a 21"tt would be very short.

Between the Transition Double (Large) and the Black Market Killswitch (Large), the Killswitch feels substantially longer.
I don't have it currently posted, but my Killswitch is gonna be up for sale for reasonable offers. (Frame and rear shock only was $1500 new).

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013221
Mobile Version of Website