Enduro MTB Training

| Next Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 12:06 Quote
Most conventional strength programs based on core exercises will "work" at improving your enduro skills. However, the goal should be to keep a program as simple as possible ("good enough") to avoid redundancy, unnecessary fatigue and increase efficiency. Exercises like squat and deadlift work great at strengthening your legs, core and back. Push-ups and/or bench press keep your body stable when riding. Add some more core work like ab-wheel/plank and/or loaded carries such as suitcase/farmer's walk (these are also great for grip strength), and you're ready to go!

So, a simple strength program would include these exercises:
Squat
Deadlift
Horizontal push exercise
Core work
Loaded carries

Split into two days (example):

Day 1:
Squat
Bench press
Plank
Suitcase walk

Day 2:
Deadlift
Suitcase deadlift (good for your core stability)
Farmer's walk

That's two efficient workouts that take no more than 30-40 min each.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 5:48 Quote
I will start off by saying I don't race, I ride for fun and have a 5 and 2 year old at home. I get up early and stay up late to work out and ride. I have been following the Enduro MTB Strong program by Dee Tidwell of enduromtbtraining and it has been great I am on month 5 of 6. The program is built around mobility, stability and strength work. I have noticed massive improvements in my core and upper body strength which has allowed me to stay out all day either trail riding or riding DH with zero muscle fatigue and scary fast recovery, back to back huge days are no problem. Also huge improvements in anaerobic efforts as all the workouts are circuits and you will be pegged at the end of some of them. Like others have said, some weeks it is tough to stick to the specific days laid out but that is also one of the biggest benefits for me is to have the calendar laid out. When the weather is nice out, I get out and ride and will make up the gym day either that same day or the following day. At the end of the week as long as I hit all of the gym days and ride a few days it is a win for me. A+ program and Dee is a great guy if you have any questions!

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 3:47 Quote
Nice to see people are actively looking to improve their trining.

I'm Jonny from Fit4Racing, I've been training numerous pros for some time including Danny Hart (DH), Elliott Heap (Enduro). Most of the pro riders I train simply follow our Fit4Racing program that you can subscribe to here:

https://fit4racing.com/mtb/

Training doesn't have to be complex, the reality is most riders have a deficit in a particular area that holds them back, be it strength, capacity or ability. Our program is great for filling in the gaps but ultimately, your bike skill comes with practice and is most important.

Unfortunately, "Functional" is a word that has become lost in noise of internet articles and social media gurus but, take a look at the movements and training you are doing and understand the function of it. If the function is absolute strength for a base of good solid movement then great, or a more dynamic movement to improve handling and capacity related to riding demands, also great. Isolation movements to "build" a particular muscle, not so great.

Combining function movements and capacity work into the same workout piece is where the magic happens, it more reflects the demands you'll be up against racing/riding.

You can skip ahead and stop guessing and sign up to a program specific to your needs, obviously I'd support ours however, there are other programs out there, some I trust and others I don't, but I'll leave that to you.

The best training is the training you actually do.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005731
Mobile Version of Website