What are you guys doing to get in shape for the upcoming season?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
What are you guys doing to get in shape for the upcoming season?
Posted: Feb 24, 2013 at 8:36 Quote
30 bananas a day

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2013 at 9:55 Quote
a650B wrote:
30 bananas a day
Freelee got to ya eh? Lol

Posted: Feb 24, 2013 at 11:22 Quote
Haha I bought a blender and now I blend all the time. It's fun and makes you feel healthy, at least it does for me!

Posted: Feb 25, 2013 at 7:14 Quote
JakeMeyers7 wrote:
Anyone enjoy yoga?

YES! I'm all about it. I started when I was doing P 90X and now do classes at my gym 1-2 times a week. Feeling a lot stronger as far as flexibility, balance, and core strength. One of the instructors focuses a lot on breathing which is good cause I suck at relaxing haha. I feel a lot more relaxed and focused in all areas of my life including the rest of my workout. When I'm about to roll into a big jump on my bike I just take a nice deep breath through the nose, fill up my belly, diaphragm and chest, visualize, release, and send that shit!

Plus the scenery's not bad even though I have my eyes closed a lot of the time.

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 at 9:12 Quote
ironhorserida80199 wrote:
What are you guys doing to get in shape for the upcoming season? Any tips on conditioning would be good. Big Grin

I've been riding for about 23 years now and I used to think just riding was all you needed. No way! Honestly a good crossfit program will help you immensely. Crossfit is designed to support every activity hence the name coming from cross training. Core, Core, Core. We hate hearing it but it works and crossfit will take you there. Also I see a lot of folks on trail and DJ track having problems with balance that affect turn decision making: iE switchbacks, object negotiation etc. balance training is huge. Indo boards are great for mountain bikers as well. Lateral stability through strength is something we take advantage of. A good martial arts program can be an amazing secret to riding for many reasons. Strength in flexibility, body conditioning for falls, balance in falling, it really has it all. Just deciding what style is the hardest part I think. The more pros I talk with at trade shows and in my work the more I hear lots of them are trying beginning to try a martial arts program for those very reasons, but lots of the ones I do speak to are already doing crossfit.

Posted: Mar 27, 2013 at 12:06 Quote
o2bridinoakridge wrote:
ironhorserida80199 wrote:
What are you guys doing to get in shape for the upcoming season? Any tips on conditioning would be good. Big Grin

I've been riding for about 23 years now and I used to think just riding was all you needed. No way! Honestly a good crossfit program will help you immensely. Crossfit is designed to support every activity hence the name coming from cross training. Core, Core, Core. We hate hearing it but it works and crossfit will take you there. Also I see a lot of folks on trail and DJ track having problems with balance that affect turn decision making: iE switchbacks, object negotiation etc. balance training is huge. Indo boards are great for mountain bikers as well. Lateral stability through strength is something we take advantage of. A good martial arts program can be an amazing secret to riding for many reasons. Strength in flexibility, body conditioning for falls, balance in falling, it really has it all. Just deciding what style is the hardest part I think. The more pros I talk with at trade shows and in my work the more I hear lots of them are trying beginning to try a martial arts program for those very reasons, but lots of the ones I do speak to are already doing crossfit.

I started crossfit about a month ago for this very reason. After being off a bike for a while and then starting to race again last year I found out I was WAY out of shape. Decided that over the winter I would start strength training and trying to drop some weight. Weight lifting got boring and I just felt like I wasn't making progress in the short amount of time I had to work out (lunchtime) so I started taking up crossfit. It's insane. Over all strength has increased, endurance, shedding pounds and just feeling better in general. It's awesome.

Posted: Mar 31, 2013 at 8:17 Quote
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/muscle-building-11
The 300 workout, its the workout for the cast from the movie, yes its hard, yes it hurts, yes I can feel improvement on the trail...

Posted: Apr 1, 2013 at 10:46 Quote
I just picked up the Rennen Smart Sprint from www.bmxtraining.com. Curious to see how my gate starts and sprints look. They include a 3 week training program for better straights so I'm curious to see what my sprints look like when I get it this week and then what they look like after the 3 weeks of trying to improve them.

http://bmxtraining.com/bmxtraining/smart.html

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 at 9:03 Quote
interval training on a turbo trainer/bike machine, 1 min harcore pedalling, 1 min easy, 1 min hardcore etc....builds up stamina very quickly.
I also do a lot of indoor bouldering (rock climbing without ropes/harness) in the winter, thats great for all round strength, especially forearm and core, ideal for DH.

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 at 14:12 Quote
Whats up guys, I think that being on a crossfit program is one of the most beneficial ways to train. When I cant make it to a crossfit gym I use the www.RynoPowerGym.com to formulate different workouts. This combined with some laps in the pool for a low impact workout kicks my ass pretty good.

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 at 16:18 Quote
Ive worked as a trainer at a Crossfit gym for the last two years and Ive raced Motocross/XC/Road in the past. Taking on DH racing for the first time this year. How I trained for it:

- 1-2 days at our local indoor bike park. Pumptrack, jump lines, etc.

- 2-3 days on the trainer. 1 day recovery. 1-2 days intervals. Short/High Intensity. Nothing more than an hr.

- 4-5 days in the gym. Heavy Olympic lifting following by some sort of short circuit after. Lifts compared to last winter:

Snatch: 185lbs to 215lbs

Clean and Jerk: 235lbs to 270lbs

Backsquat: 365x1 to 375x5

Most of all, Im feeling way more confident on the bike. During the summer Ill probably be in the gym 1 to 2 times a week and ride as much as possible (xc/dh/mx).

Posted: Apr 3, 2013 at 18:16 Quote
Right on thats dialed! I've been focusing on more olympic lifting ex. clean&jerk, snatches, overhead squats to try to put on some weight, and using crossfit and swimming as my cardio. Also working with the Ryno Power Gym guys to help me develop nutrition plans along with specific lifting schedules has helped a lot to.

Posted: Apr 22, 2013 at 5:50 Quote
strength traning

http://www.training4cyclists.com/12-week-strength-program-for-cyclists/

mahomd abad

Posted: Apr 22, 2013 at 6:52 Quote
kaveh wrote:
strength traning

http://www.training4cyclists.com/12-week-strength-program-for-cyclists/

mahomd abad
This looks like a good one, Im switching to this thanks for posting it..

Posted: Apr 22, 2013 at 6:59 Quote
photo

Just squatted 395x1 for a new 1 rep max. Been riding more and feeling awesome one the bike compared to last season.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015278
Mobile Version of Website