Rear wheel creaking

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rear wheel creaking
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 4, 2018 at 15:42 Quote
Hi! I have creaking problems in my rear wheel. Some background of the problem: It's a I9 Torch hub laced to a Spank Oozy 345 rim with DT Swiss Champion spokes. I build this wheel like 6 months ago, laced it myself and then sent to tension at my LBS. They tensioned it with spoke tension meter. I use the wheel in a Chromag Rootdown BA, but I'm a fairly light rider (about 63 kg).

To illustrate the sound I've taped the sound and posted a video with it in the following link: https://youtu.be/A8jCO01P9Bw

I really don't know where this sound come from, or what I can make to fix it. I have tried: changing the axle to non qr, lubing the cross between spokes and the point of contact with the hub. I had cleaned everything that's cleanable.
I'm hoping that somebody had this problem before and can get me some help. I really appreciate any help.

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 1:16 Quote
fcogrt wrote:
Hi! I have creaking problems in my rear wheel. Some background of the problem: It's a I9 Torch hub laced to a Spank Oozy 345 rim with DT Swiss Champion spokes. I build this wheel like 6 months ago, laced it myself and then sent to tension at my LBS. They tensioned it with spoke tension meter. I use the wheel in a Chromag Rootdown BA, but I'm a fairly light rider (about 63 kg).

To illustrate the sound I've taped the sound and posted a video with it in the following link: https://youtu.be/A8jCO01P9Bw

I really don't know where this sound come from, or what I can make to fix it. I have tried: changing the axle to non qr, lubing the cross between spokes and the point of contact with the hub. I had cleaned everything that's cleanable.
I'm hoping that somebody had this problem before and can get me some help. I really appreciate any help.
i had a similar noise,not saying it is this,but mine drive me mad for months.Turned out the Freehub was split right along the splines,couldn't tell with the cassette on,or even when it was off due to the grease.Only found it when it was time to change the hub bearings.Good luck with it

Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 10:24 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
fcogrt wrote:

i had a similar noise,not saying it is this,but mine drive me mad for months.Turned out the Freehub was split right along the splines,couldn't tell with the cassette on,or even when it was off due to the grease.Only found it when it was time to change the hub bearings.Good luck with it

I take out the cassette and cleaned to check, but I didn't see anything strange. Maybe I'll do it again.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 3:44 Quote
fcogrt - did you ever get to the root cause of the creaking? I have the same noise coming from my i9 rear hub. i9 hub, Ibis 738 rim, DT spokes. Spokes are tight and the cassette is torqued to the recommended value, 40Nm. I am still chasing the creak down and I agree, it is insanely annoying.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 10:20 Quote
Is it only present whilst pedalling? If so, check your freehub mechanism. I'm not familiar with your hub but I've had issue similar and I was convinced it was a wheel bearing. Turned out to be the greased was almost gone from the star ratchet on my dt swiss hub.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 18:22 Quote
Hey same problem - did you figure it out??

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
I had a similar noise coming from my bontrager rear wheel and it turns out that the rim was almost cracked in half

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 19:51 Quote
It turns out the freehub was bone dry. A few drops of lube and the creak is gone. The lube quieted the hub a little too.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 20:07 Quote
Great to hear - that was my next step - fingers crossed - Cheers!!

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008453
Mobile Version of Website