Ultimate Kids Enduro Bike Build: Specialized Riprock 24

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Ultimate Kids Enduro Bike Build: Specialized Riprock 24
Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
Are you adopting anytime soon?? My bike could use some upgrades Dad?? lol

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 10:38 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Are you adopting anytime soon?? My bike could use some upgrades Dad?? lol

Lol thats a hard NO. Haha the wife says she wants another baby. I said 3 boys is more than enough!

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
I can be a really good baby!! I whine and cry a lot as is!!

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 15:24 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
I can be a really good baby!! I whine and cry a lot as is!!

I know! I've seen your posts!lol lol

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 16:24 Quote
JTA wrote:
slats73 wrote:
My son has a 20" riprock and he's been telling me how bad he wants a dropper post, he could definately benifit from having one , how hard was it to route cable internally , I was gonna look at ways to do external ,

It wasn't too bad. What I did was drilled and bored out a small hole at the bottom of the seat tube above where it meets the bottom bracket, then routed the dropper cable up with the der. and brake cable on the under side of the downtube with zip ties like the others. Easier said than done, but the whole thing took no longer than an hour and a half one evening. I drilled out the hole then bored it at an angle to make sure that it didn't pinch it and could go through the hole smoothly. It is a 27.2 seatpost diameter though so depending on how much you want to spend it could be a little hard to find one, but I was dead set on not going externally routed. You can see original post for which one we have on the bike.

**this will void the warranty of the bike

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 16:26 Quote
Sorry it's been a while since your reply ,,I recently upgraded to a rip rock 24 expert , I believe it's post diameter is 31.8 but is their anyway you could post a pic of where you drilled the hole and ran cable up through seat tube ?

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 19:29 Quote

I have a few pictures in my profile of my build.

Seatpost diameter is 27.2 on riprock 24.

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 4:38 Quote
Thank you , does that housing fo around the bottom bracket ?

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 7:06 Quote
slats73 wrote:
Thank you , does that housing fo around the bottom bracket ?

Yes, I routed the housing down the bottom of the downtube with the shifter housing then looped under the bb and into the back side of the seat tube and sealed with a internal routing grommet from salsa.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 0:41 Quote
JTA wrote:
du88 wrote:
What cranks did you use?

I used the stock cranks that came on the bike. 155mm in length i believe (could be totally wrong). they're a little heavy with the cartridge BB but not too bad.

Hello, not sure if anyone is still reading this much as it’s an old post. Can someone enlighten me how the stock cranks were maintained on this bike? The crank arms seem to attach with a silver ring at the back. The only way I could see you get a new chainring on is to drill out the rivets, cut off chainring above the rivets so you can attach a new chainring. Would be a rough mod I’m thinking?

Thanks

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 4:52 Quote
mat18x wrote:
JTA wrote:
du88 wrote:
What cranks did you use?

I used the stock cranks that came on the bike. 155mm in length i believe (could be totally wrong). they're a little heavy with the cartridge BB but not too bad.

Hello, not sure if anyone is still reading this much as it’s an old post. Can someone enlighten me how the stock cranks were maintained on this bike? The crank arms seem to attach with a silver ring at the back. The only way I could see you get a new chainring on is to drill out the rivets, cut off chainring above the rivets so you can attach a new chainring. Would be a rough mod I’m thinking?

Thanks

I don't believe they were serviceable outside a rough mod like you mentioned. I think I recall them having to be replaced if worn... Not that I wouldn't try to mod first if I liked the crankset. Otherwide would have looked for a used set I could swap chainrings on.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 8:25 Quote
I don't think the rivets will separate the chainring. IIRC the rivets are just what holds the plastic chain guard on.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 9:09 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
I don't think the rivets will separate the chainring. IIRC the rivets are just what holds the plastic chain guard on.

Sorry should have been clearer in my post. What I mean is, how did the first bike pictured in this thread keep using the factory crank? From the pictures you can see they have replaced the chainring as it’s got shiny chain ring bolts?

I would like to replace the chainring with a NW without swapping cranks out. I have already replaced my sons riprock 24 crank which then required a longer bb due to clearance with frame and spacers. Trying to avoid this on my daughters riprock 20. Sick of the chain drops!

Thanks for the replies and it’s awesome seeing other people’s modifications.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 21:26 Quote
mat18x wrote:
Beecee336 wrote:

Sorry should have been clearer in my post. What I mean is, how did the first bike pictured in this thread keep using the factory crank? From the pictures you can see they have replaced the chainring as it’s got shiny chain ring bolts?

I would like to replace the chainring with a NW without swapping cranks out. I have already replaced my sons riprock 24 crank which then required a longer bb due to clearance with frame and spacers. Trying to avoid this on my daughters riprock 20. Sick of the chain drops!

Thanks for the replies and it’s awesome seeing other people’s modifications.

So on the 24 Expert model that I had in the original post, the chainring/crank interface was a 104 BCD style ring on a 4 bolt spider. The cranks you have are some sort of 1 piece where the chainring is integrated to the cranks. I am not sure of a way to replace the chainring alone on those cranks. Might have to get a little creative with it. That or find another 155mm square/diamond taper crankset with a 4 bolt spider for the chainring. Genuinely not sure which would be harder nowadays haha.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009024
Mobile Version of Website