Hawk Hill

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Hawk Hill
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 12:00 Quote
Was out running around yesterday and stopped by Performance Bike in Tacoma. They had a Hawk Hill in the shop so I checked it out. Looks like a pretty good setup for the price ($1,400 I think). I wouldn't buy from Performance, though, as this one had a leaking rear shock and the front shock barely moved. I'm sure it was 'expertly' set up. Anyway, anyone considering this as an entry fully should check one out at your local dealer.

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 4:11 Quote
my first marin was a hawk hill it was a hard tail and that was back in 1995 that bike was not a good bike to ride at all

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 22:09 Quote
I have had my hawk hill for a few months now. It was an upgrade from my 27.5+ hardtail. I think I have about 200 miles on it so far.

It’s been a great bike. It has two really nice positives. One, it’s a great bike as is for the price. Two, it’s done a good job of trying to future proof itself. Owners can slowly upgrade as Desired over time.

Things I don’t like, I had issues with my tires. They seemed to pop easily (could just be my luck) and didn’t covert well to tubeless (they are not tubeless rated but many people have set them up tubeless). I replaced mine with maxxis tires. The rear quick release on mine ended up getting some play in it. Instead of replacing it, I upgraded my wheel to a through axle. That way I would not run into the same issue down the road. I have not been easy on the bike at all so I think the upgrade was worth it.

Still super happy with the bike. I have gone a little crazy with the upgrades on it. Not because it needed, I just have issues buying parts and tinkering.

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 7:44 Quote
Excellent and congratulations!

For your rear wheel, I'm surprised to read that it was QR. Was it QR 15? or old school? Thought I read that it had boost spacing on it.

Pics of the bike?

Posted: May 10, 2018 at 13:30 Quote
So the hawk hill 3(and maybe the 2) has boost spacing. The hawk hill one comes with a newer style QR with adapter. The frame is set up for a 12x142 through axle. For that price they had to cut cost somewhere.

I probably went overboard buying a whole new wheel. I could have bought another adapted QR that would have done the job. But new wheels seemed like a much more exciting upgrade. Saved some weight too.

At this point the only stock parts are the frame, cranks, and cassette. But I don’t believe I had to upgrade any of the parts, at least right away.

My method was waiting to find good deals on new or used parts I wanted. When I did I bought them. Even if I add up everything I bought it was still much cheaper than buying a new bike with all the same upgrades. Plus I got to choose the parts. For some reason it is so much fun putting new components on your bike. Almost seems boring getting bike with all the upgrades already on it. Tinkering is half the fun.

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 8:24 Quote
I ride a 2018 Marin Hawk Hill and its been great except for my freewheel breaking it was under warranty has this happened to anyone else

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014167
Mobile Version of Website