Getting a new mountain bike

PB Forum :: Beginners
Getting a new mountain bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 14:44 Quote
I have a budget of 1000 dollars and was looking at the Rocky Mountain Growler 730. Has anyone had any experience with these bikes, or any advice on a better bike within my budget?

Thanks

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 7:01 Quote
Hi there, I have no actual experience with the Rocky mountain but from what I see it looks like a decent starter bike however I think you can get better components (mainly drive train and forks) by hitting up a sale bike one jenson here http://www.jensonusa.com/mountain-bikes-abs?RearSuspensionType=Hardtail&s=price-asc the GT zaskar elite has higher end drive train, fork, and similar other specs. I've never ridden either bikes but would recommend at least looking into jenson or maybe chainreactioncycles.com for deals. Also consider saving your pennies and getting to a 2000 dollar budget, that will open up a lot more door, even into the full suspension bikes! YT has great bikes for cheap because they're only mail order. It may be worth spending a little more so you're not upgrading in the near future. Cheers!

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 8:25 Quote
I was going to say that is a great choice, tubeless compatible, plus tires, good geometry, but it almost looks like the rear hubs are old quick change. I do not know for sure, but that might be important, makes it tough to change or upgrade, it is old technology. Something to consider.

This one is not boost, but heck of a bike for $1100 and it is a "thru axle" instead of old quick change hubs. 100mm forks though.

http://www.konaworld.com/cinder_cone.cfm

Most of the 1k range bikes have qr or quick release rear hubs, if you can find a hard tail with thru axles and 120mm or more fork for 1k that is a good choice. However:

I do not know where you live and such, but the ultimate deal would be probably something like Commencal Meta HT AM
sram 11 speed, 150 mm rockshox, trail geometry, maxxis tires, and through axles for $1000 ............ships from europe, chain reaction bikes:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/commencal-meta-ht-am-origin-bike-2018/rp-prod160319

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 8:40 Quote
The growler is a 27.5+ bike .... where as all the other comparables people have responded with are not...so kinda apples and oranges.

as for the 135mm Quick Release rear hub.... I honestly wouldn't sweat the specifics of a rear axle at this point.

commencal ships from canada (commencalcanada.com), but I don't believe they have a plus sized wheel option.

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 8:42 Quote
OP, what type of riding are going to be doing, whereabouts are you located. what bikes have you ridden before? have you ridden a plus sized tire before? What do you consider to be an absolute must in a bike? are you set on Plus sized tires, or open to other wheel sizes?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024592
Mobile Version of Website