Best upgrade for $150

• Previous Page
Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 9:58 Quote
I’m getting $150 to go to this job internship for a week this summer, and want to upgrade my bike. I have a 2017 Vitus Escarpe 275

35 lbs
Ethirteen tires
Magura brakes
Shimano slx drivetrain
Dropper post
Fox 34 performance fork
Fox Evol Shock

I want to make the bike lighter, and while I know people say wheels are a great upgrade, I destroy them really fast, so light wheels under $300 are probably a bad choice for me.

Any suggestions? Thanks

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 10:06 Quote
Custom shock tune. There is no better upgrade for the money. Fight me.

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 10:12 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:

What companies do shock tunes?

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 15:58 Quote
One up alluminum pedals!

But yeah proper suspension is nice!

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 16:14 Quote
Chingus-Dude wrote:
zsandstrom wrote:

What companies do shock tunes?

Depends on the particular shock in question, but with your Fox DPX EVol, I know for sure that Dirtlabs and Avalanche do custom tunes. Price can vary pretty substantially depending on your shock, but if you're patient you'll probably be able to find a quality tune that's sub-$200.

The shop will talk to you and ask about your weight, frame, riding style, the trails you ride, and your suspension preferences, and re-valve the shock specifically for your needs. It will totally transform the way that your bike handles. It won't make the bike lighter, or look any sexier, but it'll definitely take the performance to the next level.

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 18:08 Quote
His profile says he is 17 years old, and his bike shows a slack chain from a broken derailleur. If you haven’t fixed the derailleur, find a deal on a good clutch derailleur and upgrade your drivetrain. If you already fixed it, save your money until you find a supper deal on a new bike you want

My philosophy is: if is isn’t broken, don’t fix it, and if you think really want something, do some research, save up, wait for a good deal, then get it.

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 18:22 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
His profile says he is 17 years old, and his bike shows a slack chain from a broken derailleur. If you haven’t fixed the derailleur, find a deal on a good clutch derailleur and upgrade your drivetrain. If you already fixed it, save your money until you find a supper deal on a new bike you want

My philosophy is: if is isn’t broken, don’t fix it, and if you think really want something, do some research, save up, wait for a good deal, then get it.

agree...custom tuned suspension is nice, but valving is crazy at the stage... and it assumes that OP has already maximized the existing tuning capabilities...

Cost effective suspension options (after following the tuning guide +/- volume spacers) would be something like the Vosprung Luftkappe ($100 CDN) or the Corset air sleeve (150$ CDN).

What do you do with $150 to make your bike better? Tires, grips, brake pads.. all consumable, all wear out, all make huge performance impacts if you are placing worn ones.

and remeber...its the indian, not the arrow.

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 18:33 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:

Unless the arrow is carbon. Then credit the arrow.

Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 20:18 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:

Unless the arrow is carbon. Then credit the arrow.

Or the arrow has a 64 degree HA

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 12:40 Quote
DonLopez wrote:

I’m actually 14 years old. I wasn’t sure if it’d let me join if I said I was younger. But yeah, I broke the hanger and derailleur about twice every month last year, finally got a custom build hanger that works perfectly.

Posted: Apr 10, 2018 at 17:54 Quote
At 14, don’t spend much on your current bike. You will outgrow it soon, and ride hard!

Posted: Apr 11, 2018 at 19:58 Quote
Tires. When your tires wear out I would try a Maxxis DHF front paired with a DHR2 in the rear or ultimate grip, or aggressor rearf you want to trade off some grip for less rolling resistance.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2018 at 7:37 Quote
save it until you break something

Posted: Apr 12, 2018 at 10:40 Quote
arrowheadrush wrote:
save it until you break something

This is the correct answer, save your monies

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 18:57 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
At 14, don’t spend much on your current bike. You will outgrow it soon, and ride hard!

I've been 6 foot for well over a year now haha

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010644
Mobile Version of Website