2016 Process 134 DL help!

PB Forum :: Kona
2016 Process 134 DL help!
Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 9, 2018 at 17:21 Quote
Guys and gals, I’m sorry if this has been asked before. I just recently bought a used Kona. Wanting to replace the rear shock and don’t know the sizing to replace it. Eye to eye length, bore and stroke size? Kona’s website isn’t much help. Please if someone knows. Thanks in advance!

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 at 10:54 Quote
So I have figured out it is 190x51mm or 7.5x2.0”. I’m new to the full suspension club. Any help on recommendations would be appreciated. Does Rockshox make a supreme rear shock? How is the Cane Creek DB, Fox, DVO?? Thanks.

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 at 12:21 Quote
I replaced the stock rear shock on my process with a DVO Topaz and am really pleased with it. Super easy to tune and the bladder system makes it nice and plush off the top but still provides midstroke and bottom out with correct air pressure/volume spacers. Considered the FOX DPX2 but it was out of stock at the time with a month wait.

Posted: Apr 27, 2018 at 16:39 Quote
LennyD89 wrote:
So I have figured out it is 190x51mm or 7.5x2.0”. I’m new to the full suspension club. Any help on recommendations would be appreciated. Does Rockshox make a supreme rear shock? How is the Cane Creek DB, Fox, DVO?? Thanks.

What's the reason for wanting to swap the shock? You can upgrade your (presumably current stock) RS Monarch with a Debonair can for $60. See if you need a few bands for the positive air chamber and go from there. Or, buy a Monarch +RC3 shock like the 153 came with (used ones can be had for less than $200), and also decide if upgrading to the Debonair can would be worth your while.

I have a 2014 153 that came with a Monarch +RC3. After buying a 2014 111 that came with a Debonair can instead of the stock RT3, I decided to upgrade the RC3 with a Debonair can and 4 bands as well for $60. Me likey.

Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 15:34 Quote
I put a DVO Topaz on my '16 134 DL this season. This after running the previous year with the Debonair upgrade on the stock Monarch.

While the Debonair was a noticeable upgrade, the DVO is leaps and bounds beyond that. Paired with a Luftkappe in the Pike, it's just soooo buttery smooth and balanced.

The Process has a relatively flat (linear-progressive, I guess? whatever..) leverage curve so it really leans on the shock to create the suspension characteristics. As such, any improvement in the rear shock department makes a significant improvement to the bike. This upgrade has made the bike better in every possible situation.

Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 19:30 Quote
shlotch wrote:
I put a DVO Topaz on my '16 134 DL this season. This after running the previous year with the Debonair upgrade on the stock Monarch.

While the Debonair was a noticeable upgrade, the DVO is leaps and bounds beyond that. Paired with a Luftkappe in the Pike, it's just soooo buttery smooth and balanced.

The Process has a relatively flat (linear-progressive, I guess? whatever..) leverage curve so it really leans on the shock to create the suspension characteristics. As such, any improvement in the rear shock department makes a significant improvement to the bike. This upgrade has made the bike better in every possible situation.

Interesting. How about in the climbing department? I'm more of a set it and forget it kinda guy. Thanks.

Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 21:44 Quote
The Process, for all its great qualities, is not a wonderful climbing bike. That said, it's adequate.

I feel the Process is always gonna rely on damping to improve the climbing and I like the DVO in that regard. The Monarch offered a true lockout, but I found it useless on anything but fire roads because it was negative rear wheel traction anywhere else. So I just ran it open all of the time. On actual single track climbs, the DVO's climb option works better. It isn't a true lockout, but it's a stiff platform that let's you be efficient enough (come on it's a Process, you aren't here for the climbs) while maintaining traction on sketchy terrain. I just feel it fits the bike better. Even in this particular scenario which doesn't necessarily suit the bike.

On moderate trails that have some peddly bits, the mid compression is amazing. Softer off the top than the Monarch but more supportive when pumping and peddling. For actual downhill, the open mode is everything good in the world.

Just my two cents (Canadian, apply the exchange) but I think it's a perfect fit for this bike.

Edit: and set it and forget it is the Process way of life Smile . This shock offers a fair bit of customization, but I think it's fairly straightforward. Hell, first time I ran it was on some good old BC downhill trails and I didn't even know which way to turn the rebound knob. So I just set my sag, put in a couple spacers for bottom out and put the rebound in the middle. Still ran so much better than the Monarch.

Posted: Jul 7, 2018 at 19:51 Quote
I went ahead and did the Debonair can upgrade myself and love the difference. I guess when it finally gives out or needs rebuilding I’ll upgrade to the Rt3+ or something equivalent. Everyone on other forums kept telling me the leverage curve of the Kona won’t benefit from the Debonair. I have to disagree, the ride is much more tolerable. With being able to adjust the amount of progression and a bigger negative chamber it’s supple off the top and doesn’t seem to find the bottom. Thanks for the feedback!

Posted: Aug 27, 2019 at 15:05 Quote
Hi all. I know it's an old thread, but how many bands are folks using in the Monarch with the Debonair can? I'm a bigger guy at 6'6" and 225 and it doesn't seem to pedal as well as the standard air can...

Posted: Aug 27, 2019 at 17:09 Quote
roentgenranger wrote:
Hi all. I know it's an old thread, but how many bands are folks using in the Monarch with the Debonair can? I'm a bigger guy at 6'6" and 225 and it doesn't seem to pedal as well as the standard air can...

I think I am running 2 bands in my 111 with RT Debonair, and I had 4 in my 153 (both 2014 models). The 153 was an RC3 (piggyback). I weigh 175-178 lbs fully geared up.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 6:06 Quote
roentgenranger wrote:

I used to run a debonair can on my 134, you need to max out the air can with bands. thats the only way I could get it to work right.

Now im on a topaz, way better. But the aircan upgrade was worth it after getting the bands right

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
tccrawfo wrote:
roentgenranger wrote:

I used to run a debonair can on my 134, you need to max out the air can with bands. thats the only way I could get it to work right.

Now im on a topaz, way better. But the aircan upgrade was worth it after getting the bands right

I just put six in (looks like I can go seven). I like to run about 30% sag and I've heard where that's tough to do with the Debonair because of the location of the equalization port.

Posted: Sep 2, 2019 at 11:04 Quote
I thought the process models were designed around a standard air can. Debonair would be plush, but overly so. Super soft and wallowy.

I had a debonair air can on my '153 and it felt like poo, went to a standard and all is right in the world.

I wouldn't call the debonair air can an upgrade for a process, I'd call it a mistake

That being said, if you're running a Rockshox fork older than '18 and can upgrade to the debonair air spring in the fork, that is an amazing upgrade

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 7:12 Quote
That's kind of what I'm finding...
I will be adding the fork upgrade when I service it!

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 15:49 Quote
For the Process, I'm of the opinion that the debonair only makes sense for lighter riders - and can maybe even be good in that context.

But it definitely wouldn't be a positive for larger folks.

edit: FWIW, I recall speaking with Kona about the debonair back in the day when I owned a Process. They said it was certainly compatible, and in some instances preferable. But they preferred to keep it as a user option as opposed to OEM.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010619
Mobile Version of Website