Yukon?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 13, 2018 at 7:02 Quote
I checked more recent threads here and could't find much. I also didn't see Yukon specified in a sub-forum so I hope Canada West is good!

Recent Singletracks article has be inspired af to go ride in the Yukon? Anyone been or any locals?

I was thinking of flying to Whitehorse (from Toronto) and maybe doing a day at Mt. Macintyre and a day at Grey Mountain.

Renting a car and then:

I also have not decided if I want to rent, or bring my own bike. I am very skeptical about traveling with valuable items. I would purchase a hard travel case, but would people recommend insurance? The fact that it's more than one flight freaks me more... is there insurance for this?

Other wise I found one store that rents bikes by the day. For 3 days of rental it will cost me close to what I can get a used travel case for so I'm sort of torn.

Is there anything anyone could recommend? I figure I would only stay 4 nights the most in Whitehorse.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 7:06 Quote
I've been looking into a bike adventure in the Yukon as well, we usually rent a motor home and hire a guide for our riding days. We've done this a couple times already and have found it to be the best way to get around and ride more than one area, and by the time you factor in car rental, hotel, and going out to eat the cost of a motor home and the ability to relocate to ride you'll find it is a very reasonable way to do these types of rides or adventures.

As far a bike transport, I always take my own bike. When we just did Whistler trips we used a cardboard bike box, now that we've done a couple European trips I can't recommend a bike bag more! Should have bought one ten years ago! I have the Evoc. Works great, folds down when not in use and protects my bike pretty good, no damage yet. I get you are nervous about traveling with your bike, but my friends and I have been doing it for years.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 11:23 Quote
I spent 2-3ish months of last summer up in Whitehorse riding the local trails and absolutely loved it. I only have a DH bike so for some trails it was a bit to much bike.

Trail recommendations,

Grey Mountain I would do "Money Shot"- "Upper easy money" - "lower easy money"- finishing off with a chill ride out onto "Paypack".

Money Shot requires 20-30 min hike and bike carry to get to the start from the top of the access road but totally worth it.

I rode B&S (Berms & Skinnies) once, its a nice flowy jump trail with skinnies but a really long and steep rideout back up to the access road.

I didn't ride any of the trails on Mt. Macintyre but the skills jump park has some good things to play around on for a few hours.

If you can have someone in a well built 4x4 shuttle you up to ride "Haekel Hill DH" I would highly recommend this trail. I rode it twice and its got to be one of the best flowing tech trails ever. If you do it though be careful on the top section as its very steep with a couple sections that go pretty much straight down. There is ride arounds but still very steep.
Only thing I'll say bad about Haekel Hill DH the trail and I had a fight and it won breaking my left hand and tendon damage in my right fingers.

A great day trip would be to go ride Montana Mountain in Carcross. If your there on a weekend you'll have no problem hitching rides on shuttles up to the top. The trails there were built by the local First Nations kids and has really transformed the local area into what some magazines have said some of the best single tracking riding to have.

Lastly, Mt Sima, the local ski hill in the summer opens every other week for lift accessed biking. They only have a handful of trails but they are really amazing. I spent 4 nights riding there and talking to the local builders they have a great vision of the mountain.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any other questions let me know!

Posted: Apr 24, 2018 at 10:00 Quote
swisscosmo wrote:
I spent 2-3ish months of last summer up in Whitehorse riding the local trails and absolutely loved it. I only have a DH bike so for some trails it was a bit to much bike.

Trail recommendations,

Grey Mountain I would do "Money Shot"- "Upper easy money" - "lower easy money"- finishing off with a chill ride out onto "Paypack".

Money Shot requires 20-30 min hike and bike carry to get to the start from the top of the access road but totally worth it.

I rode B&S (Berms & Skinnies) once, its a nice flowy jump trail with skinnies but a really long and steep rideout back up to the access road.

I didn't ride any of the trails on Mt. Macintyre but the skills jump park has some good things to play around on for a few hours.

If you can have someone in a well built 4x4 shuttle you up to ride "Haekel Hill DH" I would highly recommend this trail. I rode it twice and its got to be one of the best flowing tech trails ever. If you do it though be careful on the top section as its very steep with a couple sections that go pretty much straight down. There is ride arounds but still very steep.
Only thing I'll say bad about Haekel Hill DH the trail and I had a fight and it won breaking my left hand and tendon damage in my right fingers.

A great day trip would be to go ride Montana Mountain in Carcross. If your there on a weekend you'll have no problem hitching rides on shuttles up to the top. The trails there were built by the local First Nations kids and has really transformed the local area into what some magazines have said some of the best single tracking riding to have.

Lastly, Mt Sima, the local ski hill in the summer opens every other week for lift accessed biking. They only have a handful of trails but they are really amazing. I spent 4 nights riding there and talking to the local builders they have a great vision of the mountain.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any other questions let me know!

Hey I sent you a PM... the access roads... are they bikeable? Or do I absolutely NEED a car for this?

Posted: May 14, 2018 at 12:06 Quote
If it matters - booked my flight officially to Whitehorse. I'll be there Sept 4th arriving late evening (11pm) and then my flight back to Toronto is Sept 8th evening, 8pm.

Thinking of:

Sept 5 - Grey Mountain
Sept 6 - Mt. McIntyre
Sept 7 - Renting car and driving to Carcross.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2018 at 13:14 Quote
If you're looking for more trail info closer to your trip join the CMBC Yukon page on Facebook. Local riders are on there and generally pretty helpful, also might be interested in riding with you if you're looking for buddies.

If you're looking for guided rides check out Boreale http://be-yukon.com. They run guided trips and accommodations.

Have fun - it's beautiful up here!

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 7, 2019 at 23:03 Quote
Just got back from a family trip here in which I packed a hardtail in the back of an RV. Here's a quick summary of the riding I did in the Yukon:

- DEMPSTER HWY: Started with some simple gravel riding on the Dempster highway. Not true mountain biking, but epic views and many descents in the northern direction. You can really feel along up there!
- DAWSON CITY: Camped at the top of Midnight Dome, and there are a few trails from the lookout that lead down into town. A good mix of steep and loose, machine built flow (that was a surprise), and technical singletrack. Not a lot of trails, but everything was quite fun. Lots of little jumps and lips to send too.
- CARCROSS: My original plan was to ride some of the newer trails built with the Singletrack for Success program (will need to return for this), but ended up joining a group of guys from Whitehorse who were also on hardtails to ride the epic Mountain Hero. 30+kms, 1300+m elevation gain for a 7km/1000m descent through alpine rock, berry bushes, pine forests, and birch forests. I made a short 3 minute video here: https://www.trailforks.com/video/37420/
-WHITEHORSE: Didn't have a ton of time to ride here, so I rode the "Boogaloo" trails right outside of town. Super scenic with many ridgeline trails, and plenty of Autumn colours that we don't really get in Vancouver. Nothing very steep or difficult, but still very enjoyable. I also went hiking on multipurpose trails in the Miles Canyon area, which would be some good scenic XC riding. Finally, there are lots of mellow XC trails right beside Wolf Creek campground if you're planning to camp. The one area I didn't have the chance to ride that I would have liked to would have been Mt. McIntyre. There's even some lift access biking on another mtn if you can get there on the right day.

Pics from my trip: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/xTwoSnakesx/album/Yukon-2019/
Mountain Hero gopro footage: ttps://www.trailforks.com/video/37420/

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010523
Mobile Version of Website