New bmx advice

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
New bmx advice
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 14, 2018 at 17:20 Quote
I’m a 40 yr old dad former dj bike rider interested in bmx. I don’t know what to look for in a bmx but I want a quality bike with quality parts, want to ride street or park. Any advice about brands, prices, etc... or text 6154859982 cause I rarely check the forum.

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 20:55 Quote
i ride a verde tony neyer complete. full cromo frame/fork/bars. 21 tt

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 23:37 Quote
are you looking for a 20 inch or a plus sized bmx.

also a complete or going custom?

Posted: Apr 28, 2018 at 5:59 Quote
I'm also an old dude,48. Ride all sizes of bike.
You may really want to test ride a 22" wheeled bike like the BF22 or Spectrum. I feel they're a great transition bike from 26"
Plus at sub 600 bucks, you can't beat it if you decide to sell or trade.

Posted: Apr 28, 2018 at 13:37 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
I'm also an old dude,48. Ride all sizes of bike.
You may really want to test ride a 22" wheeled bike like the BF22 or Spectrum. I feel they're a great transition bike from 26"
Plus at sub 600 bucks, you can't beat it if you decide to sell or trade.
22 inch bikes seem too limited in rim and tire choice.

24 seems better. you can get some bmx hubs in 32 hole so you can use mtb rims. and some mtb rims come in 36 hole for cruisers. seems like a better middle ground, at least tire and rim choice wise. either is probably going to be much more comfortable then a full on 20 inch bike.

Posted: Apr 28, 2018 at 13:52 Quote
look on source bmx, they do some custom built bikes, but don't look at the complete bikes that don't have after market parts. You will know the difference because of the price.

https://www.sourcebmx.com/en/BMX-Bikes/c-599.aspx?MinPrice=500&SortBy=PriceDESC

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 12:42 Quote
Proton Bike Orange 2018 . this bike is great. It's only my opinion.

Posted: Oct 28, 2018 at 15:41 Quote
To piggyback on this: If I'm 6'2" am I going to hate myself if I buy a 20.75in frame?

I've never been on a BMX bike, but I've been spending a lot of time riding my Bronson around a parking lot with my 2 year old on his scoot bike. It seems like a BMX would be the ticket for screwing around in such situations, but most of the cheap bikes from reputable sources are sub 21in frames.

I was thinking of something like this:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/ruption-friction-bmx-bike-2018/rp-prod161897

Posted: Nov 2, 2018 at 17:04 Quote
MarcusBrody wrote:
To piggyback on this: If I'm 6'2" am I going to hate myself if I buy a 20.75in frame?

I've never been on a BMX bike, but I've been spending a lot of time riding my Bronson around a parking lot with my 2 year old on his scoot bike. It seems like a BMX would be the ticket for screwing around in such situations, but most of the cheap bikes from reputable sources are sub 21in frames.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/ruption-friction-bmx-bike-2018/rp-prod161897

The Mongoose L100 is inexpensive and 21". I rode a 2.75 frame at 6' 2 and it's not terrible but since moving to 21 I'm much more comfortable(weird that a quarter inch makes s difference but it does). If you're a bigger guy it would be worth it to spend a bit more for a full chromoly frame and a 21" tt.

Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 12:29 Quote
MarcusBrody wrote:

I'm 5'11 and got a 20.75" bike (Subrosa). After a few months it became pretty clear it was too short... had trouble keeping the front wheel down and had to contort my body uncomfortably to complete barspins. I'm coming from a mountain bike, so used to something bigger also. Switched to 21" TT (and slacker geo) and it made quite a difference in cockpit room. I shoulda talked to an experienced rider before purchasing... Depends on your body proportions, but had a number of experienced riders tell me the bike looked small on me.

Posted: Dec 9, 2018 at 5:13 Quote
CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:
MarcusBrody wrote:

The Mongoose L100 is inexpensive and 21". I rode a 2.75 frame at 6' 2 and it's not terrible but since moving to 21 I'm much more comfortable(weird that a quarter inch makes s difference but it does). If you're a bigger guy it would be worth it to spend a bit more for a full chromoly frame and a 21" tt.

I ended up doing this, jumping on a momentary price drop to 215 for the Mongoose. So far, so good.

Thanks!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017767
Mobile Version of Website