I CANNOT make up my mind! Please Help!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
I CANNOT make up my mind! Please Help!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 14, 2018 at 21:58 Quote
I just posted on this a few days ago so I do apologize on the repeat post but I need help. I am going to pull the trigger on a bike next week but I am still stuck between two different bikes, well three I guess. The Commencal Meta am v4.2 world cup edition that is coming out next month, the YT Capra cf pro and the Santa Cruz Bronson s carbon build. I have read many reviews which seem to point to the YT being a little bit better bike all around then the other two. The only issue is I don't think I can wait until August, which is how long that YT is backordered. The Bronson I can buy now and the Meta I could get next month. So to make a long story short, I guess my question is, is the YT really worth the wait? or should I just get one of the other bikes? and if so which one? Two things to considered, one, this is my first mtb purchase and two, I do not have a bike right now. So, waiting for the YT would mean going without a bike almost all summer. Please help.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 2:14 Quote
Direct sales (YT, Commencal) works for riders who know what they want and are confident to make the purchase without needing to demo or even sit on the bike.
From the geometry they can select the right frame size and when it arrives set the bike up, dial the suspension, fit tubeless tyres and in couple of rides give it a standard service.

As a first bike purchase you may find shop support invaulable in choosing, demo'ing, setting up you're bike and looking after it.
Going a summer without riding sucks and I doubt at you're level if you would notice much difference between all three bikes as there all good bikes.

So in my humble opinion go to a shop ride a few bikes, talk to them, buy a bike and ride which from your three choices would mean the Bronson.

A direct sales bike great as they are is probably a 2nd or 3rd time bike purchase with more experience, confidence and a better idea of what you want from a bike.

Enjoy Simon (I ride a Capra)

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 4:09 Quote
Bcs590 wrote:
I just posted on this a few days ago so I do apologize on the repeat post but I need help. I am going to pull the trigger on a bike next week but I am still stuck between two different bikes, well three I guess. The Commencal Meta am v4.2 world cup edition that is coming out next month, the YT Capra cf pro and the Santa Cruz Bronson s carbon build. I have read many reviews which seem to point to the YT being a little bit better bike all around then the other two. The only issue is I don't think I can wait until August, which is how long that YT is backordered. The Bronson I can buy now and the Meta I could get next month. So to make a long story short, I guess my question is, is the YT really worth the wait? or should I just get one of the other bikes? and if so which one? Two things to considered, one, this is my first mtb purchase and two, I do not have a bike right now. So, waiting for the YT would mean going without a bike almost all summer. Please help.

don't take this the wrong way but being as this is your first bike i doubt you'll really appreciate the differences between these bikes.

they are all pretty top quality picks and you'll be buzzing regardless. reading reviews is one thing but there is no substitute for trail time to truely understand your style and preferences for riding and what type of bike and parts will compliment this. its a journey. take handle bars, grips, pedals or saddle for example - everyone has a preference based on experience, there's no clear cut best option.

I've not looked at the specs but personally I'd lean towards the Bronson. and the fact you can get it out busting moves on the trail the soonest is the biggest plus in my mind.

so.... just do it! tup Salute

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 7:36 Quote
The Capra is the burliest probably least pedal friendly of those three. Capra would compare better to a Nomad than a Bronson. The bronson and Meta AM V4.2 being a little less DH oriented and a little better all around bikes.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 9:14 Quote
Meta less DH orientated? Some solid advice there, bud.

I'd definitely go with the Bronson with lifetime warranty, immediate avaibility, shop support and better pedalling.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 9:48 Quote
I own a Meta AM V4 and my buddy owns the V4.2. Pedals really well considering. It's also a playful bike..not super long. From everything I've read about the capra it's more of a brawler. I mean these are comparable bikes and we are arguing slight differences.

Bronson is the most pedal friendly all around bike though out of those 3.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 10:05 Quote
Myself, out of those 3 bikes I would choose the Santa Cruz. Mostly due to their warranty and how many shops sell/service them in case you have an issue ever.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 10:08 Quote
If I wasn't so cheap... Santa Cruz all day. Lol

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 15:02 Quote
One of these things is not like the other.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 16:30 Quote
Gona throw another one in the mix what about the new patrol? Designed to take a sh*t kicking and pedals better than its weight suggest.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 20:49 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
Bcs590 wrote:

don't take this the wrong way but being as this is your first bike i doubt you'll really appreciate the differences between these bikes.

they are all pretty top quality picks and you'll be buzzing regardless. reading reviews is one thing but there is no substitute for trail time to truely understand your style and preferences for riding and what type of bike and parts will compliment this. its a journey. take handle bars, grips, pedals or saddle for example - everyone has a preference based on
experience, there's no clear cut best option.

I've not looked at the specs but personally I'd lean towards the Bronson. and the fact you can get it out busting moves on the trail the soonest is the biggest plus in my mind.

so.... just do it! tup Salute

No offense taken whatsoever, I totally agree. Just trying to get the best all around bike that I can since I am spending around 4k. It's a big pill to swallow. But I completely appreciate your advice.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 20:54 Quote
spl75 wrote:
Direct sales (YT, Commencal) works for riders who know what they want and are confident to make the purchase without needing to demo or even sit on the bike.
From the geometry they can select the right frame size and when it arrives set the bike up, dial the suspension, fit tubeless tyres and in couple of rides give it a standard service.

As a first bike purchase you may find shop support invaulable in choosing, demo'ing, setting up you're bike and looking after it.
Going a summer without riding sucks and I doubt at you're level if you would notice much difference between all three bikes as there all good bikes.

So in my humble opinion go to a shop ride a few bikes, talk to them, buy a bike and ride which from your three choices would mean the Bronson.

A direct sales bike great as they are is probably a 2nd or 3rd time bike purchase with more experience, confidence and a better idea of what you want from a bike.

Enjoy Simon (I ride a Capra)

Thanks for the info. I definitely have worried about the shop support with a direct sales bike. I have demo'd a few bikes already, Intense, SC 5010, Specialized Stump jumper, and a Yeti sb6. To me all phenomenal bikes. Just want to make sure that I am spending my money wisely that's why I asked the question. I appreciate your advice.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 23:22 Quote
In your position I would be tempted to pick up a second hand bike such as a stumpy and ride it for a season.
Then next year armed with a better idea of what you want smash £4k on a bike a really nice bike.
Its a lot of money to spend and you dont want any regrets.
Cheers Simon

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 23:44 Quote
This^^. 4K is a lot to spend if you're not sure exactly what you want. If you can find something used that fits the bill you're going to have a lot of money left over to fine tune your preferences with contact points and suspension once you figure out how you want to set the bike up.

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 0:59 Quote
Yeah, Bronson is in the category of a Jeffsy, not the Capra. And both are great all-round bikes, with their own pros and cons. No experience with the Commencal. Will you do parks or planning to go full enduro?
Anyways best times to be alive, I have a feeling that whichever you choose from these top level bikes you'll learn to love her in no time.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009878
Mobile Version of Website