What helmets & goggles do you use?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What helmets & goggles do you use?
Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 9:38 Quote
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice about sizing of a Kali Shiva Helmet. I'm looking to buy one but I have no way to try one on. My head is between 56-57cm, which or course is right between small and medium per the recommended sizing below:

Small: 55-56cm
Medium: 57-58cm

For reference I have a Giro Remedy carbon size small that fits perfect even though the size chart said that was only good up to a 55cm head. I have also tried on:

1) a Giro Cipher size small (54-56 per the size chart) and I could barely get it on my head it was so tight.
2) a 100% Aircraft size small (55-56 per the size chart) and that was also very tight.

If it fits like the Cipher or Aircraft I would need a medium, but in the reviews I find online its mixed. Some people say the Shiva runs big, some say small, so I have no clue. Anyone have any experience with the helmets I mentioned that can provide some advice.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 9:47 Quote
I wear a size small Giro Switchblade. I also have a size small Shiva. Shiva is tight to get on because the helmets are in molded, but once it's on, its comfy. I find the Giro shape is the most comfortable for my head, but the Kali is really close. I use mine for Moto and DH laps. The light weight is awesome. Coming from a light helmet (Bell Full 9 Carbon) I didn't think 200g or so would make a difference. It does.

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 10:08 Quote
Circe wrote:
I wear a size small Giro Switchblade. I also have a size small Shiva. Shiva is tight to get on because the helmets are in molded, but once it's on, its comfy. I find the Giro shape is the most comfortable for my head, but the Kali is really close. I use mine for Moto and DH laps. The light weight is awesome. Coming from a light helmet (Bell Full 9 Carbon) I didn't think 200g or so would make a difference. It does.

What size did you wear in the Full 9? I'm pretty sure that is sized similar to the Cipher.

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 10:39 Quote
Has anyone used the fly f2 Carbon? It's a little heavy at 3.3lbs but seems to offer good protection.

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 13:34 Quote
I'd have to double check. I'm usually a small in most helmets.

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 15:05 Quote
Hey guys, as many others I'm hoping to get some sizing advice. I'm planning on buying a TLD D2, I currently have a medium fox rampage (57cm - 58cm), and a M/L TLD A1 (57cm-59cm). I've noticed my Fox helmet is a tiny bit loose on me but it fits pretty much almost perfect and my A1 is a bit big on me also, unless I press it with the strap on the back of it. My head measures around 56 to 57 cm, I don't know if I need a XS/S (54cm - 56cm) or the M/L (56cm - 59cm).
Any help is much appreciated!

Seb

Posted: Apr 1, 2017 at 14:08 Quote
seba93 wrote:
Hey guys, as many others I'm hoping to get some sizing advice. I'm planning on buying a TLD D2, I currently have a medium fox rampage (57cm - 58cm), and a M/L TLD A1 (57cm-59cm). I've noticed my Fox helmet is a tiny bit loose on me but it fits pretty much almost perfect and my A1 is a bit big on me also, unless I press it with the strap on the back of it. My head measures around 56 to 57 cm, I don't know if I need a XS/S (54cm - 56cm) or the M/L (56cm - 59cm).
Any help is much appreciated!

Seb
Don't bother with a D2... D3 or bust if you are buying a TLD full face.

Posted: Apr 6, 2017 at 6:32 Quote
Picked up a killer deal on a brand new 100% Aircraft carbon for just under 200 bucks.

Posted: Apr 6, 2017 at 10:19 Quote
Just got a kali avatar 2 helmet for 150 shipped. Can't wait since kali is offering the crash replacement now and the shop is only 30min from my house.

Posted: May 6, 2017 at 11:48 Quote
I think this is the best thread to ask.
Anyone with a 100% Aircraft that had the Fox Rampage Pro? I am wondering about the sizing. I had a medium Rampage and my head has a circumference of 58cm so it should technically be a medium too, but I have read that the 100% might fit a bit tight around the jaw. I have no means of trying a 100% on.

Posted: May 6, 2017 at 17:04 Quote
Hetman64 wrote:
Anyone with a 100% Aircraft that had the Fox Rampage Pro? I am wondering about the sizing. I had a medium Rampage and my head has a circumference of 58cm so it should technically be a medium too, but I have read that the 100% might fit a bit tight around the jaw. I have no means of trying a 100% on.

100% uses two different shell sizes for the Aircraft, S/M and L/XL. 58 is at the top end of the size for M, so it might be uncomfortable around the ears for you. I tried on a M and found that the ear pockets were much too high, so I ended up getting an L.

Is there any retailer you can buy from that offers free returns?

Posted: May 6, 2017 at 20:51 Quote
Hetman64 wrote:

Im a L in the Aircraft and XL in the Rampage Pro. The L Aircraft was just a tad snug vs my XL Rampage Pro; but the XL Aircraft was kinda loose. The Aircraft wasnt a good fit for my skull, sold it.

Posted: May 7, 2017 at 2:11 Quote
I would be buying from CRC and they do offer returns so I could always send it back. I am gonna order the medium and see if it'll be good.

Posted: May 7, 2017 at 14:53 Quote
Anyone here running a fox proframe? Seriously thinking about one but want some opinions of what they are like to ride with and also whats the goggle fit like?

cheers!

Posted: May 8, 2017 at 0:52 Quote
joepuddle wrote:
Anyone here running a fox proframe? Seriously thinking about one but want some opinions of what they are like to ride with and also whats the goggle fit like?

cheers!
I am, loving it.

In terms of heat, the only extra heat compared to my bell super is around the back of my ears. elsewhere, it's the same or cooler than the super. really good airflow over the top.

You don't notice the chinbar when climbing, it's literally not an obstruction. great breathing, as if nothing is there. no hot breath like a regular full face.

Super light weight, and because it's supported by more of your head it barely feels heavier than an open face helmet.

Goggle fit is generous, no issues with my 100% racecrafts.

Only thing i would say is for me, the chinbar is very close to my jaw. if i crash, the chinbar will definitely contact my face. but it has almost an inch of padded foam/rubber on it, which i would rather have hit me than a rock or whatever.

Fox have done so well with it. no reason not to wear it compared to an open face helmet IMO, unless you're riding super tame stuff in super hot weather

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011147
Mobile Version of Website