What helmets & goggles do you use?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What helmets & goggles do you use?
Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 6:18 Quote
pinkece wrote:
Bump. What's new in helmets guys. I went from a Bell Sanction to a 100% Status and now adding the ugliest D3 Fiberlite in the world. Hard to ride back to back days with helmet that is still soggy and wet from sweat.

Disgusting Big Grin I don't wanna be that guy but am thinking about buying another helmet just for the *gasp* different color.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 20:38 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:
pinkece wrote:
Bump. What's new in helmets guys. I went from a Bell Sanction to a 100% Status and now adding the ugliest D3 Fiberlite in the world. Hard to ride back to back days with helmet that is still soggy and wet from sweat.

Disgusting Big Grin I don't wanna be that guy but am thinking about buying another helmet just for the *gasp* different color.

Lol. Nothing wrong with that.

So the D3 came today.

First impressions, materials feel high quality. Much more sturdy and hefty as well as heavier than my 100% Status.

Which is all well and good. I don't mind the extra weight. But the main problems I'm finding are 1. as people have said over the years, it is definitely a tight/uncomfortable fit. For reference I measured at 57cm which put me at Medium. My Bell Sanction and 100% Status both had much more comfortable fits (also mediums). Problem #2.. this looks HUGE as in welcome to balloon-head-city. I'm a fairly average height and weight person and I'm not used to the bulk of this helmet. The sanction had a tiny outer shell, the Status is a bit bigger and then there's the D3 which takes it to a new level.

I won't be keeping it for these reasons. I was so excited too!

I might get another Status but I'm also considering a Giro Disciple, does anyone have experience with the D3 and Disciple and can tell me if it is less bulky?

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 21:23 Quote
pinkece wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:
pinkece wrote:

Lol. Nothing wrong with that.

So the D3 came today.

First impressions, materials feel high quality. Much more sturdy and hefty as well as heavier than my 100% Status.

Which is all well and good. I don't mind the extra weight. But the main problems I'm finding are 1. as people have said over the years, it is definitely a tight/uncomfortable fit. For reference I measured at 57cm which put me at Medium. My Bell Sanction and 100% Status both had much more comfortable fits (also mediums). Problem #2.. this looks HUGE as in welcome to balloon-head-city. I'm a fairly average height and weight person and I'm not used to the bulk of this helmet. The sanction had a tiny outer shell, the Status is a bit bigger and then there's the D3 which takes it to a new level.

I won't be keeping it for these reasons. I was so excited too!

I might get another Status but I'm also considering a Giro Disciple, does anyone have experience with the D3 and Disciple and can tell me if it is less bulky?
Are you using it for DH or trail riding?

As far as DH helmets go the D3 is pretty average in terms of bulkiness. If you’re riding DH with it you’re gonna have to accept that is just how big the helmets are. You shouldnt compare anything to the Bell sanction, that helmet is sketchy and doesn’t actually meet any of the full face helmet certifications.

If you’re trail riding you could try a TLD stage instead.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 22:09 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Are you using it for DH or trail riding?

As far as DH helmets go the D3 is pretty average in terms of bulkiness. If you’re riding DH with it you’re gonna have to accept that is just how big the helmets are. You shouldnt compare anything to the Bell sanction, that helmet is sketchy and doesn’t actually meet any of the full face helmet certifications.

Comparison is more to the 100% Status which is DH certified. Status seems like a good middle ground between the D3 and Stage now that I've tried the D3.

I'd say I'm doing more park/freeride than dh. Hitting pretty good sized but not huge jumps.

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 7:18 Quote
The 100% helmets are some of the "thinnest / least bulky" that still meat safety standards. TLD is middle of the road for bulky-ness. Giro and Bell are some of the larger helmets on the market. Just have to find your priorities.

For me its: Safety, Comfort, Aesthetics. In that order. Which is why I rock the Bell Full-9 Fusion

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 10:53 Quote
Nobble wrote:
What he said. Soooo comfy and light tup

The top was very fun to draw

Rosewheel s Troy Lee Stage with Sharpie

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 21:49 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
The 100% helmets are some of the "thinnest / least bulky" that still meat safety standards.

You're right about thickness vs protection lol.

That's why I refuse to get any of the enduro helments like the Stage and Proframe.

The 100% Status helmets are more bulky than those enduro ones. Guess we can call the Status a "light DH" helmet.

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 12:07 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
Giro and Bell are some of the larger helmets on the market. Just have to find your priorities.

I ordered a Giro Disciple since the D3 didn't work out for me. Both are size Medium and my head measures about 57cm. The Giro is more compact on the outside so looks much better aesthetically. Fitment is also better/more comfortable than the D3 (too tight).

I've seen online review sites complain about the chin bar being too close to the mouth, but it seems fine to me. I can report on it once I get a few rides in to see if it makes the helmet too hot/bad for breathing.

However one negative of the Giro is that cheek/ear pads do catch my ears when I'm taking off the helmet.

Either way I'm happy enough with the fit and quailty that I'm going to give it a shot.

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2022 at 16:01 Quote
Has anyone here went from a Fox Proframe to a Smith Mainline and miss the Fidlock buckle and/or noticed increased creaking from the MIPS? In need of a new helmet and considering the Mainline but don't know if I can go without the Fidlock buckle as it makes it so easy to use, and the Fox has a layer of felt or some material underneath the MIPS so it's fairly quiet, doesn't seem to be the same with the Smith

General real-world feedback about the Smith is welcome as well

Posted: Sep 8, 2022 at 18:57 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Has anyone here went from a Fox Proframe to a Smith Mainline and miss the Fidlock buckle and/or noticed increased creaking from the MIPS? In need of a new helmet and considering the Mainline but don't know if I can go without the Fidlock buckle as it makes it so easy to use, and the Fox has a layer of felt or some material underneath the MIPS so it's fairly quiet, doesn't seem to be the same with the Smith

I know it’s not the Smith you asked about, but the TLD Stage has a fidlock buckle.

I’m happy with mine, and my friend who went from a proframe to a Stage is also super happy with it.

If you’re looking to change from the proframe I would take a look at it.

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2022 at 10:18 Quote
Nobble wrote:
matt-15 wrote:

I know it’s not the Smith you asked about, but the TLD Stage has a fidlock buckle.

I’m happy with mine, and my friend who went from a proframe to a Stage is also super happy with it.

If you’re looking to change from the proframe I would take a look at it.

Primarily looking at Smith as it's a brand that the shop I work at carries so I can get staff discounts. We don't carry TLD or Fox here, and at the time Smith hadn't come out yet with the Mainline so I just bought a Fox Proframe online. Still waiting to see what crash replacement discount Fox offers before I make my decision, as I was quite pleased with how it performed in my crash so I wouldn't mind spending a bit of extra money to get the same helmet again, but still keeping options open

Posted: Sep 9, 2022 at 22:17 Quote
100% aircraft 2 and melon diablo goggles.

Ive owned 3 smith mainlines (one warrenty, one crashed) all of them were pretty noisey.

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 6:43 Quote
Gotta be honest, I'll never own a helmet without fidlock again. Seems super trivial, but it's so nice haha

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 6:57 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Gotta be honest, I'll never own a helmet without fidlock again. Seems super trivial, but it's so nice haha

They are cool. And unless I'm mistaken you can buy a Fidlock buckle alone and put it on ANY helmet too! Looking at their website you can request samples (up to 5) which they don't show prices but there certainly will be a cost. The buckles are available elsewhere as well. Lots of varieties so you have to know what you need.

BEWARE: Of course the FAQ on Fidlock site says you can't install your own buckle on your helmet because it will de-certify your helmet.

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 9:05 Quote
I actually did install a Fidlock on my Kids Fox helmet, because his hands werent strong enough to do the pinch buckle. But again, there are plenty of offerings for adult helmets with Fidlocks, I'd rather just not worry about it and buy one with it.

I'll run a Fox Speedframe Pro as long as they produce it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016612
Mobile Version of Website