What helmets & goggles do you use?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What helmets & goggles do you use?
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 6:18 Quote
pinkece wrote:
Bump. What's new in helmets guys. I went from a Bell Sanction to a 100% Status and now adding the ugliest D3 Fiberlite in the world. Hard to ride back to back days with helmet that is still soggy and wet from sweat.

Disgusting Big Grin I don't wanna be that guy but am thinking about buying another helmet just for the *gasp* different color.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 20:38 Quote
rosemarywheel wrote:
pinkece wrote:
Bump. What's new in helmets guys. I went from a Bell Sanction to a 100% Status and now adding the ugliest D3 Fiberlite in the world. Hard to ride back to back days with helmet that is still soggy and wet from sweat.

Disgusting Big Grin I don't wanna be that guy but am thinking about buying another helmet just for the *gasp* different color.

Lol. Nothing wrong with that.

So the D3 came today.

First impressions, materials feel high quality. Much more sturdy and hefty as well as heavier than my 100% Status.

Which is all well and good. I don't mind the extra weight. But the main problems I'm finding are 1. as people have said over the years, it is definitely a tight/uncomfortable fit. For reference I measured at 57cm which put me at Medium. My Bell Sanction and 100% Status both had much more comfortable fits (also mediums). Problem #2.. this looks HUGE as in welcome to balloon-head-city. I'm a fairly average height and weight person and I'm not used to the bulk of this helmet. The sanction had a tiny outer shell, the Status is a bit bigger and then there's the D3 which takes it to a new level.

I won't be keeping it for these reasons. I was so excited too!

I might get another Status but I'm also considering a Giro Disciple, does anyone have experience with the D3 and Disciple and can tell me if it is less bulky?

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 21:23 Quote
pinkece wrote:
rosemarywheel wrote:
pinkece wrote:
Bump. What's new in helmets guys. I went from a Bell Sanction to a 100% Status and now adding the ugliest D3 Fiberlite in the world. Hard to ride back to back days with helmet that is still soggy and wet from sweat.

Disgusting Big Grin I don't wanna be that guy but am thinking about buying another helmet just for the *gasp* different color.

Lol. Nothing wrong with that.

So the D3 came today.

First impressions, materials feel high quality. Much more sturdy and hefty as well as heavier than my 100% Status.

Which is all well and good. I don't mind the extra weight. But the main problems I'm finding are 1. as people have said over the years, it is definitely a tight/uncomfortable fit. For reference I measured at 57cm which put me at Medium. My Bell Sanction and 100% Status both had much more comfortable fits (also mediums). Problem #2.. this looks HUGE as in welcome to balloon-head-city. I'm a fairly average height and weight person and I'm not used to the bulk of this helmet. The sanction had a tiny outer shell, the Status is a bit bigger and then there's the D3 which takes it to a new level.

I won't be keeping it for these reasons. I was so excited too!

I might get another Status but I'm also considering a Giro Disciple, does anyone have experience with the D3 and Disciple and can tell me if it is less bulky?
Are you using it for DH or trail riding?

As far as DH helmets go the D3 is pretty average in terms of bulkiness. If you’re riding DH with it you’re gonna have to accept that is just how big the helmets are. You shouldnt compare anything to the Bell sanction, that helmet is sketchy and doesn’t actually meet any of the full face helmet certifications.

If you’re trail riding you could try a TLD stage instead.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 22:09 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Are you using it for DH or trail riding?

As far as DH helmets go the D3 is pretty average in terms of bulkiness. If you’re riding DH with it you’re gonna have to accept that is just how big the helmets are. You shouldnt compare anything to the Bell sanction, that helmet is sketchy and doesn’t actually meet any of the full face helmet certifications.

If you’re trail riding you could try a TLD stage instead.

Comparison is more to the 100% Status which is DH certified. Status seems like a good middle ground between the D3 and Stage now that I've tried the D3.

I'd say I'm doing more park/freeride than dh. Hitting pretty good sized but not huge jumps.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 7:18 Quote
The 100% helmets are some of the "thinnest / least bulky" that still meat safety standards. TLD is middle of the road for bulky-ness. Giro and Bell are some of the larger helmets on the market. Just have to find your priorities.

For me its: Safety, Comfort, Aesthetics. In that order. Which is why I rock the Bell Full-9 Fusion

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 10:53 Quote
Nobble wrote:
If you’re trail riding you could try a TLD stage instead.
What he said. Soooo comfy and light tup

The top was very fun to draw

Rosewheel s Troy Lee Stage with Sharpie

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 21:49 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
The 100% helmets are some of the "thinnest / least bulky" that still meat safety standards.

You're right about thickness vs protection lol.

That's why I refuse to get any of the enduro helments like the Stage and Proframe.

The 100% Status helmets are more bulky than those enduro ones. Guess we can call the Status a "light DH" helmet.

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 12:07 Quote
BMXJJ327 wrote:
Giro and Bell are some of the larger helmets on the market. Just have to find your priorities.



I ordered a Giro Disciple since the D3 didn't work out for me. Both are size Medium and my head measures about 57cm. The Giro is more compact on the outside so looks much better aesthetically. Fitment is also better/more comfortable than the D3 (too tight).

I've seen online review sites complain about the chin bar being too close to the mouth, but it seems fine to me. I can report on it once I get a few rides in to see if it makes the helmet too hot/bad for breathing.

However one negative of the Giro is that cheek/ear pads do catch my ears when I'm taking off the helmet.

Either way I'm happy enough with the fit and quailty that I'm going to give it a shot.

| Next Page

 
Active Forum Threads
2 mins ago - Transition Spur
14 mins ago - Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
17 mins ago - DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
32 mins ago - 100 (or more) days of biking in 2022!
32 mins ago - Stained wood vs Treated?
43 mins ago - BOSCH Kiox 300 3d printed display mount
44 mins ago - Bearing Eyelet Tool Warning
1 hours ago - Lost Love Spells to Bring Back Lost Love WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
1 hours ago - Spiritually Empowered Lottery Spells WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
1 hours ago - Death Revenge Spells WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
1 hours ago - Banshee Titan Owners
1 hours ago - Powerful Revenge Spells That Work Overnight | Instant Death Spells WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
1 hours ago - Does a 'stiff', 1.125", long-travel 32 mm stanchion fork exist?
1 hours ago - UK parts manufacturers?
1 hours ago - Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
1 hours ago - Best Online Love Spell Caster | Love Spells That Work for Real WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
2 hours ago - ((+27723039124)) NO 1 Worldwide Extreme Lost love Spells Caster / Spiritual Healer in Durban-Worcester/Phoenix-Richards Bay.
2 hours ago - Most Powerful Voodoo Revenge Spells to Destroy Enemy WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
2 hours ago - Lost Love Spells to Bring Back a Lover WhatsApp ((+27 838 581 581))
2 hours ago - Biking in Barcelona?
2 hours ago - Evil Owners Club
2 hours ago - Official Vernon Riders Thread
2 hours ago - Elite/expert racers of pinkbike...what is your mindset when racing. How fast are you going?
3 hours ago - Best Psychic Mediums (325) 273 8255 Love Spells in Billings, MT Marriage/Divorce Bring back lost lover obsession spell
3 hours ago - Best Psychic Mediums (325) 273 8255 Love Spells in Clinton, MS Marriage/Divorce Bring back lost lover obsession spell

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007658
Mobile Version of Website