Race Face ARC vs Ibis 738 Rims ?

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Race Face ARC vs Ibis 738 Rims ?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 23:27 Quote
Building up a new bike from the frame up, based on a 2017 Dartmoor Hornet.

I am now looking at building the wheel set and am wondering if anyone has experience with either, or both the ARC 30-35s from Race Face and the Ibis 738 rims.

I like the Asymmetric rims from Ibis because they would be stronger spoke wise, but have also heard there alloy is weak/soft ?

How ever I have a set of Easton Heist 30s on my FS bike atm that are still going strong and true, but the alloy seems soft, took a light rock strike and the side wall dented fairly easily.

Not sure which I want to go with atm, so some incite on either would be much appreciated Smile .

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 3:18 Quote
To complicate matters check out the xm521 from DT. Similar width and really good reputation for strength.

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 10:43 Quote
BikePilotOne wrote:
To complicate matters check out the xm521 from DT. Similar width and really good reputation for strength.

Looked those up, and there over $140 USD per rim Eek , there nice I'm sure but that's a bit steep for an alloy rim imo, thats getting into the area of light bicycle carbon rims, which are $190+, which is dirt cheap for carbon.

I'm still keen on either the ARC 30-35 or the Ibis 738 just for cost+performance, but am also looking into the new Dartmoor Thunder rim, which is asymmetric and is made from 6013 T5 aluminium, but finding those for sale is a complete nightmare Cry lol.

I do like the DT rims, I just want some other riders takes on either of the rims I am interested in, namely the Ibis 738s, as I haven;t used them before, but a good comparison between the Ibis and the Race Face would be nice Smile .

Posted: Apr 21, 2018 at 7:59 Quote
hi, are these rims any good? I've heard and seen on reviews that they are a bit weak ? see: ShowBox Lucky Patcher Kodi

Posted: Apr 21, 2018 at 21:23 Quote
zimou13 wrote:
hi, are these rims any good? I've heard and seen on reviews that they are a bit weak ?

Which rims are you referring too ?

Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 11:02 Quote
The arcs are historically weak. When Easton made them they were very soft. Not sure too much has changed since they re-branded them under race face.

Posted: Apr 26, 2018 at 18:01 Quote
stonant wrote:
The arcs are historically weak. When Easton made them they were very soft. Not sure too much has changed since they re-branded them under race face.

I don't think too much has changed, and I agree, there soft, I have a set of Easton Heist 30's and I took a light rock strike to the side and in the center of the rim and if actually dented in several places. Rims still true though so there fairly durable in that regard.

I ended up talking with several shops about the 2 rims, including FanatikBikeCo, and they all pretty much agreed that the Arc 30s are good rims, there just soft, and that the Ibis rims are a bit stronger and can take rock strikes better.

So needless to say I went with the Ibis rim, just placed an order this Monday from FanatikBikeCo's site, I also liked the Asymmetric rim design aswell so it was a win all around Big Grin .

So here's the wheelsets build for anyone interested.

Industry Nine hubs, J-bend, Red, 15x110 front *boost* 12x142 rear
DT Swiss Competition spokes, black
DT Swiss black brass nipples
Ibis 738, 27.5" with red decals.
Industry Nine rim tape
Industry Nine 35mm red presta valve stems.

These will then be paired with either a Maxxis 2.6" DHF or Rekon front and a 2.6" Rekon rear, with a E*13 11 speed TRS+ cassette and Hope Tech rotors, 200mm front, 180mm rear. Big Grin

Posted: May 30, 2018 at 6:46 Quote
So how are the Ibis 738s holding up for you and are you running tubeless to then run even lower pressures to make the most of the rims potential for tyre grip on surfaces.

I run the 738s and they are a real good wheel set so far and am impressed.

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 at 6:02 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
So how are the Ibis 738s holding up for you and are you running tubeless to then run even lower pressures to make the most of the rims potential for tyre grip on surfaces.

I run the 738s and they are a real good wheel set so far and am impressed.

Late reply lolz Eek , but I like the rims so far, they are setup tubeless at the moment, with a pair of specialized tire, a butcher and a slaughter. Setup for tubeless was so easy I didn't even need sealant to set them up, just popped them on, removed the valve core, used a compressor to seat the beads, put the core back in and they pumped up via a small hand pump lol. Of course later I slapped some Orange Seal in them though lol.

But ya so far I like them, haven't ridden them yet though, too damn much smoke where I am at to do that without a Darth Vader mask Cry . lol

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 at 6:33 Quote
Spot of street ... ;-)

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 at 17:32 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Spot of street ... ;-)

lol what Eek

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 2:59 Quote
Street riding lol

Why not...

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 20:34 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Street riding lol

Why not...

I live in a valley in southern Oregon, US. were choked out by smoke atm, and can barely see the sun when its noon.

So going AnyWhere at the moment for riding is a no no lolz Less I steal Darth Vaders mask Book Beer .

Posted: Aug 4, 2018 at 5:05 Quote
Oh thought you meant u were stuck in city in the smoke/fog of fumes.

Sheeeeeiate! How bad is that situation?
Life threatening to residents?

Posted: Aug 4, 2018 at 6:06 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
Oh thought you meant u were stuck in city in the smoke/fog of fumes.

Sheeeeeiate! How bad is that situation?
Life threatening to residents?

Bad enough that some area's have been completely wiped out, including a small town on a lake, that whole area and the lake were burned out, and that fires several hundred miles away, but were getting smoke from there and have roughly 20+ other fires within 50 miles of where I live. We've also had several fires with in city limits, one was actually less than half a mile from my house and burned just over 100 acres in less than an hour.

So ya, not exactly safe to ride atm lolz Eek

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013133
Mobile Version of Website