Plus Hardtails that take a 3.8 tire.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Plus Hardtails that take a 3.8 tire.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 12:47 Quote
Just wondering if there are any out there? I know the RSD Sargeant is one and rumours the Norco Torrent HT will also fit a 3.8 tire. Long story short, I want to add a hardtail to my quiver that I can stick a regular 27.5 tire on for summer usage, ride the pumptrack, lend to friends who want to go riding (or lend them my fully) and also run a 3.8 tire (ideally studded) in the winter to comply with local trail minimum tire width restrictions on fatbikes. I guess I could always run a 26+ wheelset on boost hubs, but how much more clearance would that actually buy me?

Thanks in advance Salute

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 16:05 Quote
arnie86 wrote:
Just wondering if there are any out there? I know the RSD Sargeant is one and rumours the Norco Torrent HT will also fit a 3.8 tire. Long story short, I want to add a hardtail to my quiver that I can stick a regular 27.5 tire on for summer usage, ride the pumptrack, lend to friends who want to go riding (or lend them my fully) and also run a 3.8 tire (ideally studded) in the winter to comply with local trail minimum tire width restrictions on fatbikes. I guess I could always run a 26+ wheelset on boost hubs, but how much more clearance would that actually buy me?

Thanks in advance Salute

I think that for 3.8" tire you will need a fatbike frame. They are solid and not really expensive. I did the exact same thing with a Rocky Mountain Blizzard, and converted it into an agressiv 27.5+ hardtail.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Paradis6/album/My-bikes/

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 16:20 Quote
Paradis6 wrote:
arnie86 wrote:

Thanks in advance Salute

I think that for 3.8" tire you will need a fatbike frame. They are solid and not really expensive. I did the exact same thing with a Rocky Mountain Blizzard, and converted it into an agressiv 27.5+ hardtail.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Paradis6/album/My-bikes/

Awesome idea, thanks mate! Did you go with a regular boost fork? What kind of clearance is there in it?

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 16:49 Quote
I took a lot of time to decide... I wanted a hardtail, but I had a specific geometry in mind. So I did several simulations in Autocad

In red it's the original fatbike and in green with modification

In red Fatbike Frame with 26 x 4.8 tires and rigid fork Green Same frame with 27.5 x 2.8 tires 120 mm Rockshox fork with 51 mm rake. 66 head angle Shorter reach Same bottom bracket height Just a nice and capable hardtail made with a 2015 Blizzard fatbike frame

Fatbike had a rigid fork and come with 80mm rims and 26" x 4.8" tires. I bought a 120 mm Rockshox with boost axle, WTB Scrapper I45 27.5" rims and hub are I9 (rear) and Hope 4 (front), 2.8" tires. Rear axle is 197 mm but you can easily build a "normal" wheel on those hubs... it's even stronger!

The new fork is 47 mm longer, so the front has raised.
Head Angle changed from 68.5 to 66 degres
Seat tube angle : 73.5 to 71 degres
Reach from 394 to 368 (really short but I like that, frame is also a small).
Wheel base : 1118 to 1138
Chainstay is a little bit long (455 mm) but many fatbike frame has 440)
Bottom bracket is at the exact same height

Each fork have the same 51 mm offset rake, so I kept the same "curved" design as the original rigid fork in the drawing, but it does not change anything.

And I can switch the fork, wheels and cassette in less than 30 minutes ! It's like having 2 bikes in one !

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 18:02 Quote
Amazing! The two bikes in one is what I am going for. Thanks for all the info!

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 18:24 Quote
arnie86 wrote:
Amazing! The two bikes in one is what I am going for. Thanks for all the info!

You'r welcome tup
I also think it's the best of both worlds.
With all these changes, and with the HopeTech 3 E4 brake I ride in summer, it's not just 2 bikes in one, it's completely an other bike.

And nobody believes me when I tell them it is originally a fatbike!

Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 21:10 Quote
Hey man, just thought I'd update you. So I went for the RSD as they had the frame on closeout for $300 and figured I can't really go wrong. Best thing about it is that it takes a 73mm bb, regular crankset and has a low q factor whilst still taking a 27.5x3.8 rear tire. I figured I can run a fat bike front end for the winter and get the extra width up front where it helps. Cheers again.

Posted: May 1, 2018 at 8:49 Quote
this should be a pretty sick build make sure to post when you're done???

Posted: May 1, 2018 at 13:46 Quote
jamesashton2 wrote:
this should be a pretty sick build make sure to post when you're done???

lol if by sick you mean budget then yes Salute

Posted: May 1, 2018 at 17:59 Quote
Glad for you !

By the way, I'm currently packing my car, I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a 5 weeks roadtrip, and will be in Banff in about 3 or 4 days (then Revelstoke, Whistler, Vancouver...)... if you want to ride !! I love to do roadtrips in western Canada. I'm going to have 3 bikes with me.

I really like the trails around Banff, especially the Topp Notch!

Posted: Jun 16, 2018 at 18:33 Quote
New budget hardtail

Here she is all built up. Front brake hose needs a trim but I'm out of olives! Planning on some better bars, a dropper and some fatter studded tires for winter but pretty good and only cost about $900 all in to build up. Salute

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012002
Mobile Version of Website