170mm fork upgrade on 2016 spartan?

PB Forum :: Devinci
170mm fork upgrade on 2016 spartan?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 21:51 Quote
Help! I absolutely cannot decide if I should go for a 170mm fork or the stock 160 on a 2016 Spartan frame. I ride mostly DH during the summer with a bit of pedaling in the shoulder seasons.

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 22:26 Quote
dani262 wrote:
Help! I absolutely cannot decide if I should go for a 170mm fork or the stock 160 on a 2016 Spartan frame. I ride mostly DH during the summer with a bit of pedaling in the shoulder seasons.

Check axle-crown height and trail on the fork before you think about upgrading. It's not just about the 10mm of travel! All things being the same, 160/170 shouldn't be a real big issue. Do whatever's cheapest/most pragmatic. If it was say, a 150mm fork with 32mm stanchions or a 160/170mm fork with 35 or 36mm stanchions, that's a no-brainer. I'm assuming that since the stock fork is 160, it's burly enough to handle.

That being said, the negative springs in today's air forks suck the suspension into it's travel so much you can lose 10-15mm of travel off the top anyways.

Posted: Apr 20, 2018 at 17:27 Quote
dani262 wrote:
Thank you!!

No problem!

What's the stock fork? The couple hundred $ you might lose selling that and upgrading to a nicer 170mm fork might be better spent servicing the fork or putting towards other parts to improve ride quality as well

Posted: Apr 22, 2018 at 4:16 Quote
Hi! I am on the same situation and I need help. I am currently building a bike on a 2016 Devinci Spartan Carbon frame and in the middle of choosing a front suspension. Initially I was thinking of just getting the 160mm travel. However, someone is selling me a Rockshox Lyrik RC 170mm at a lower price and I am tempted to buy it. But I am not sure if 170mm travel will be difficult on climb and will affect the pedalling. On top of that I am not sure how it will affect the frame's structural integrity (if there is any) should I decide to throw in the 170mm.
If I get the 160mm travel, most likely I will pay more since most of what the LBS are selling are the RCT3 models.

@dani262: Did you already made the upgrade? If so, can you share your experience especially on the pedaling and climbing?

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 at 9:09 Quote
A fork with 10mm more travel won’t change change your geometry much (about -0.5 degrees) and as for the frames structural integrity, you will be ok there as well.

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 20:16 Quote
DugS wrote:
A fork with 10mm more travel won’t change change your geometry much (about -0.5 degrees) and as for the frames structural integrity, you will be ok there as well.

Thanks, Dugs. I checked the change in geometry of the bike using online calculator and you are correct, it doesnt't really change much. Thanks again.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007773
Mobile Version of Website