Trek Ticket S rear drivetrain problems

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Trek Ticket S rear drivetrain problems
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 19, 2018 at 17:03 Quote
So I have had multiple times at trying to get my ticket s with the good set up but it has failed on me on all of them,, I’m just going to go over what I started off with to what I have now. So my ticket S first started off with a shimano zee 10 speed, then I didn’t want gears obviously because I just had a normal shifter on my handlebars, not like Brandon semenuk’s downtube shifter, so I couldn’t do most tricks, so I had my local shop convert it to single speed using surlys single speed conversion kit and I used a wolf tooth chain tensioner. After maybe 2 weeks I had gotten tired of that setup because every time I did a 360 or 180 flat the chain popped off and every time I would jump or Bunnyhop chain would make so much noise and after awhile that sound of the chain bouncing was extremely annoying,, all other slope style bikes(yes full suspension single speed) usually don’t have chain slack or bounce. So I had thought, why don’t I pop a few links off or put a little more tension on the tensioner. So that was probably the best setup I’ve had on this bike but after maybe a month I had gone on trip to Woodward,,the second day I had just barely cased one of the jumps, when my tensioner literally exploded. The little spring had sprung back off the little numb it sat on to keep tension. I was superb bummed, fortunately I got to use a friends extra bike, a Marin Alcatraz amazing bike anyway. When I got back from Woodward, the mechanics at the store I had bought and built the frame said they could only think of one more thing and that was going back to the zee derailleur and using it as a tensioner like all the pros. This is how I currently have the bike right now but there still the same noise of the chain bounce, I have a ten speed sram chain with a 36 t chainring and a 18 cog at the rear With zee dh derailleur and I have already removed 3 links of my chain, what I wanted to ask was if u removed just like 2 more would it cause my expensive derailleur to do the same as the old tensioner?? I look at all the pros and there derailleurs are all flexed forwards like to where the bottom part of the derailleur is almost parallel to the chainstay? I also wanted to ask if I could maybe try adding to outer cogs on the rear so if the chain pops off it would hook on to either one of them? (Yes like Johansson’s) I really would like help with this because I almost regret buying this frame!! Plz help

Posted: Apr 20, 2018 at 0:32 Quote
Just about the noise, you could probably make a chain stay protector pretty easily to combat the noise if for example you found a set up that kept the chain on but still created noise

Posted: Apr 21, 2018 at 21:30 Quote
How's your alignment between the chain ring and rear cog? Also have you tried a different chain on the set up? The spacing from the 10spd sram chain may not play nice with the 18t rear cog. And finally what costs more, another tensioner or deraliur. Mind you I'm sure you are competent enough to realize when the deraliur is to far out if you remove the two extra links.

Posted: Apr 23, 2018 at 7:32 Quote
XmaxxisX wrote:
How's your alignment between the chain ring and rear cog? Also have you tried a different chain on the set up? The spacing from the 10spd sram chain may not play nice with the 18t rear cog. And finally what costs more, another tensioner or deraliur. Mind you I'm sure you are competent enough to realize when the deraliur is to far out if you remove the two extra links.

thank you the alignment is fine for now i used a small piece of cable to apply tension on the derailleur and to keep it aligned

Posted: Apr 23, 2018 at 8:44 Quote
I don't fully know the deraliur that your using but on most I've encountered, there are limit screws that you can use the can be used to move the derailuer side to side. See if that can hold any better!

Posted: Apr 24, 2018 at 19:34 Quote
I have a Hyper Slopestyle very similar to ticket s
I have zee derailleur setup as single speed and the chain skips when I go to take off hard?????

I've tried 3 different derailleur 3 chains I can't seem to get it to work right ?!?!?

I've tried all different chain alignments
I tried two different sets of wheels
All parts are brand new

Someone Help !

Posted: Apr 24, 2018 at 20:08 Quote
Don23 wrote:
I have a Hyper Slopestyle very similar to ticket s
I have zee derailleur setup as single speed and the chain skips when I go to take off hard?????

I've tried 3 different derailleur 3 chains I can't seem to get it to work right ?!?!?

I've tried all different chain alignments
I tried two different sets of wheels
All parts are brand new

Someone Help !

What cog did you use for the SS conversion?
It sound like you might have a 1/8(bmx) cog running a 3/16(mtb) chain. Does the chain engage the cog fully?
If it was the derailleur you'd think it'd drop the chain entirely off one side or the other, but being that it's skipping it seems unlikely

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 at 18:36 Quote
I used the gusset double six it says it's 9spd chain compatible

Chain falling off never the problem no matter where I put the chain line same thing it skips one tooth under load

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 22:00 Quote
OZMTB1415 wrote:
So I have had multiple times at trying to get my ticket s with the good set up but it has failed on me on all of them,, I’m just going to go over what I started off with to what I have now. So my ticket S first started off with a shimano zee 10 speed, then I didn’t want gears obviously because I just had a normal shifter on my handlebars, not like Brandon semenuk’s downtube shifter, so I couldn’t do most tricks, so I had my local shop convert it to single speed using surlys single speed conversion kit and I used a wolf tooth chain tensioner. After maybe 2 weeks I had gotten tired of that setup because every time I did a 360 or 180 flat the chain popped off and every time I would jump or Bunnyhop chain would make so much noise and after awhile that sound of the chain bouncing was extremely annoying,, all other slope style bikes(yes full suspension single speed) usually don’t have chain slack or bounce. So I had thought, why don’t I pop a few links off or put a little more tension on the tensioner. So that was probably the best setup I’ve had on this bike but after maybe a month I had gone on trip to Woodward,,the second day I had just barely cased one of the jumps, when my tensioner literally exploded. The little spring had sprung back off the little numb it sat on to keep tension. I was superb bummed, fortunately I got to use a friends extra bike, a Marin Alcatraz amazing bike anyway. When I got back from Woodward, the mechanics at the store I had bought and built the frame said they could only think of one more thing and that was going back to the zee derailleur and using it as a tensioner like all the pros. This is how I currently have the bike right now but there still the same noise of the chain bounce, I have a ten speed sram chain with a 36 t chainring and a 18 cog at the rear With zee dh derailleur and I have already removed 3 links of my chain, what I wanted to ask was if u removed just like 2 more would it cause my expensive derailleur to do the same as the old tensioner?? I look at all the pros and there derailleurs are all flexed forwards like to where the bottom part of the derailleur is almost parallel to the chainstay? I also wanted to ask if I could maybe try adding to outer cogs on the rear so if the chain pops off it would hook on to either one of them? (Yes like Johansson’s) I really would like help with this because I almost regret buying this frame!! Plz help

photo

I did that for a while when using a rear derailleur as a tensioner, less likely to drop the chain when you ride fakie. Pulled it off recently when I got a origin 8 ss tensioner but our jumps haven't dried out yet from winter so no real rides on it yet.

If its skipping make sure the cogs in the derailleur aren't missing any teeth.

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 4:25 Quote
The rear sprocket by Gusset DOES NOT WORK WITH 9spd chain even though they say it does it don't!!!!!

I took apart a 10spd cassette and used one cog
I'm running 28 front and 13 rear and it's sick
I dirt jumped all weekend no issues

Thanks A lot

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 5:19 Quote
Now a tip for you and your ticket s

You can't pull the chain tight like a single speed bmx bc on my Hyper and on your ticket s the Rear end grows as the suspension compresses. This is why the derailleur works best bc U can set it tight but still leave enough room for the chain to stretch when the suspension compresses down.

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 5:21 Quote
Also it's hard to tell but in your pic it looks like u need to move the chain line more towards the hub bc ur chain is all the way to one side if u look closely at the links. I could be wrong but just trying to help

Posted: Jun 16, 2018 at 5:55 Quote
I've got my Ticket S set up as a single speed, using an Absolute Black narrow/wide 16T rear cog, a NW chainring and a Shimano Alfine SS chain tensioner, with the upper sprung portion of the tensioner ziptied tight to the chain stay, meaning only the sprung lower arm moves as the suspension compresses (Google the Alfine, it'll make sense, but I am referring to the double jockey wheel'd mech-shaped one, not the one with the single huge pulley wheel!). Bit of bar tape around the chainstay keeps the noise down and I've yet to drop a chain. Hope that helps!

Posted: Jun 16, 2018 at 12:16 Quote
Thank you everone for the support

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013328
Mobile Version of Website