One day in NZ - where to ride?

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
One day in NZ - where to ride?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2018 at 20:52 Quote
Hey all- I am going to be in Aus/NZ for work next month (mid-May) and will have one full day free after meetings in Auckland. I am looking to ride all day Saturday and have as much fun as possible. I am willing to fly anywhere on Friday night, and fly back Sunday morning as I will be departing Auckland on Sunday afternoon. Rotorua seems like a good choice - anything else I should be considering instead?
I am an intermediate/advanced rider but 39 years old so I won't be doing gap jumps or anything nuts. Normally I like to climb but with only one day I'm thinking a place with a good shuttle or chairlift system might be more fun. Any input on bike hires, shuttle companies, guides, etc would be much appreciated- thanks!

FL
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 at 4:50 Quote
ocxray wrote:
Hey all- I am going to be in Aus/NZ for work next month (mid-May) and will have one full day free after meetings in Auckland. I am looking to ride all day Saturday and have as much fun as possible. I am willing to fly anywhere on Friday night, and fly back Sunday morning as I will be departing Auckland on Sunday afternoon. Rotorua seems like a good choice - anything else I should be considering instead?
I am an intermediate/advanced rider but 39 years old so I won't be doing gap jumps or anything nuts. Normally I like to climb but with only one day I'm thinking a place with a good shuttle or chairlift system might be more fun. Any input on bike hires, shuttle companies, guides, etc would be much appreciated- thanks!

Rotorua would be good and close but for the cost of flights (Rotorua is regional) Queenstown or Christchurch would be a LOT cheaper for airfares from Auckland.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2018 at 17:41 Quote
Good to know... thanks! To be honest, cost isn't a major factor since work is paying my way down there, so I'd rather just go to the best place I can even if it costs me a few bucks more. Will there be a major difference between all those places weather -wise about 1 month from now? I really want to try for the best weather I can get since I only have 1 day. Rain would be a major bummer.

O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2018 at 17:45 Quote
Any thoughts on the NZ weather in mid-May? Leaning towards Rotorua unless the weather is likely to be better elsewhere. Thanks for the input... cant wait to come down!

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 at 14:48 Quote
At that time of year rotorua is your best bet. Skyline Queenstown closes down for winter May 13. Christchurch is an option, but when the ground is wet its really not worth going outside here, its just super slippery clay. If you want lift access check out Christchurch adventure park, if its not too wet it will be open, and because there are trails out in the open and in trees something is usually rideable within a few hours of rain, they rent giant bikes onsite. In Rotorua check out southstar shuttles, they also only operate if its dry, there are various places up there who rent bikes, but I cant name them off the top of my head. Lift/shuttle access is only just getting up and going here so there are not many places that do it commercially.

If you have the option, decide on Thursday or Friday just before you fly and just go where its dry.

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 16:49 Quote
Yep Rotorua is best bet, but not sure how they run things when it's raining so it may be a gamble.

You could attempt the ultimate day of shuttles and get down to the Gorge in Nelson (runs well, rain or shine). You would be able to hire a serious DH or Enduro bike from Gravity Nelson in town (Nomad 4 or similar).

Things to consider -
You would need to book the gorge ahead of arriving ($100 + club membership I think).
The gates close at the gorge at 8:00 am. Give yourself 40 minutes to get there from Nelson CBD. People have missed out by being a few minutes late.
You would need a ride out there. Rental car is an option but Gravity do a shuttle to the Gorge (may depend on numbers - not sure)
You would need the bike picked up the day before so it's ready to take in the morning.
Gravity Nelson can organise the last two options.

It's a stretch perhaps, but I only recommend it since I've ridden both places a fair amount and the Gorge easily beats a day of shuttling in Rotorua (imo).

Why not ask work nicely for a delayed flight back and spend a couple extra days?

O+
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 22:27 Quote
Thanks for all the input guys- it's been hugely helpful as I plan things out. Butters- I hadn't heard of the Gorge in Nelson, but after checking out some video I gotta say it looks amazing. I am still leaning toward Rotorua but it is showing rain on the day I want to Ride- Saturday May 19th. I think I am going to leave it a little bit flexible until the end of the week just to keep an eye on weather in both places and try to go where I think the conditions will be best.

As far as staying a few extra days, believe me- I would if I could. It's not so much work but the wife stuck with a toddler and a baby back home... let's just say I'll consider myself lucky to get in one good day of riding...

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 0:11 Quote
most trails are fine in rotorua in the wet, and the shuttles run most of the time unless its very bad whether

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 3:24 Quote
ocxray wrote:
As far as staying a few extra days, believe me- I would if I could. It's not so much work but the wife stuck with a toddler and a baby back home... let's just say I'll consider myself lucky to get in one good day of riding...

Man I hear that. You'll have a blast no matter what you do then! Sounds like Roto could be the fastest way to get on the bike for a day tup

O+
Posted: May 22, 2018 at 5:37 Quote
Thanks again for the advice everyone... had a blast riding in Rotorua thanks to Southstar Shuttles and a bike hire from Mountain Bike Rotorua. Highly recommend!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024145
Mobile Version of Website