Over/understeer?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 28, 2018 at 18:10 Quote
Recently I got a new stem on my bike (10mm shorter) and now the bike feels like it understeers unless I really try. I don't have as much confidence when going faster now, and am wondering if I could change handlebar angles to fix that. Any ideas?

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 11:59 Quote
I bet that because you've shortened your stem you have less weight on the front wheel and less traction. Your hands farther back will move your weight back and less front wheel traction will make it feel like you can't steer as sharply.

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 13:01 Quote
is a wider bar an option? That would pull your weight forward a bit.

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 18:20 Quote
Shift your weight forward a tad when cornering and you should be back to normal.

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 18:26 Quote
Im having a similar strange thing going on with my Trek Stache. Stock it came with a 90mm stem (and who rides with 90mm stems anymore?). I switched to a raceface atlas 50mm, then went wide on the bars. Lastly, I upgraded my fork to a Fox Float 34. Now the bike is nimble at slow speeds, but has a strange response initially when steering at moderate to fast speeds.

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 18:57 Quote
dv8 wrote:
Im having a similar strange thing going on with my Trek Stache. Stock it came with a 90mm stem (and who rides with 90mm stems anymore?). I switched to a raceface atlas 50mm, then went wide on the bars. Lastly, I upgraded my fork to a Fox Float 34. Now the bike is nimble at slow speeds, but has a strange response initially when steering at moderate to fast speeds.

same. Mine had 60mm now I have 50mm. Bike came stock with 760mm bars and now has 780mm. Maybe angling the bars forward would bring weight forward..?

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 20:03 Quote
dv8 wrote:
Is the new fork the same offset/travel as the stock one?

Posted: Apr 29, 2018 at 23:14 Quote
Ya I bet it's the fork offset.
I went from a 27.5 to a 29er fork both dvo diamonds on my 27.5 plus bike. It was really noticeable how much twitchier the higher offset 29er fork was at high-speed.

Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 15:16 Quote
Now that you have a shorter stem, try this: instead of trying to weight the front end more with your upper body, just focus on having all your weight in your bottom bracket, preferably in the attack position. Then, when you want to turn, drop your outside leg if you feel you can, push into the bar with your inside hand to get the bike to lean (not too much), keep your outside hand light on the bar so as to not cancel the pressure from your inside hand, turn your belly button where you want to go, and feel the bike corner like it never has before as the handlebars turn on their own. Also, don't try to lean your body a lot. Your bike should be making most of the shapes that let you turn.

This is the way a lot of coaches teach cornering, and it definitely works. Putting excess weight directly into the handlebars is just gonna make the front end wash because you are pushing into something that is contacting the ground at an angle. It can also lead to your outside arm counteracting the bike lean created by your inside arm, or lead to you leaning too much for the corner.

Posted: May 1, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
A lot of it probably is just getting used to this, I did this to one of my project bikes, and I could barely ride the thing until I got used to it.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010230
Mobile Version of Website