Want to do the Whole Enchilada in August, shuttle/hire recommendations?

PB Forum :: USA - West
Want to do the Whole Enchilada in August, shuttle/hire recommendations?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 30, 2018 at 6:36 Quote
Hi guys,

I'm going on a road trip this summer, during which my wife has allowed me 1 day of mountain biking in Moab. Going to do the Whole Enchilada, any recommendations on shuttle company and bike hire shops?

Cheers, Jonny

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 11:25 Quote
i did a week long trip out there last October. We used Moab Cyclery for our shuttles and seemed to be just fine. Most of the shops out there run shuttles and are all comparable in price. We opted for just a shuttle and no guide so if you're looking for a guide i'll let others chime in. Also, one thing to mention is The Whole Enchilada eats tubes. I had 5 tubes between 2 riders and blew through all of them and had to walk 10 miles out. I'd suggest having some beefy rims to avoid pinch flats and be aware if you are running tubeless and have to put in a tube, a patch will not stick to it if you need to repair it. I found that out the hard way. I thought a few tubes and a patch kit would cover me but not when the tubes are covered in sealant.
jonny456 wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm going on a road trip this summer, during which my wife has allowed me 1 day of mountain biking in Moab. Going to do the Whole Enchilada, any recommendations on shuttle company and bike hire shops?

Cheers, Jonny

Posted: May 10, 2018 at 4:13 Quote
Cheers, will be sure to take a load of tubes then! Did you get most of your flats on Porcupine Rim, or did you get any further up?

How long does the shuttle take from Moab to Burro Pass?

Posted: May 10, 2018 at 6:41 Quote
I never made it to porcupine All mine were on hazard country.

The shuttle was long. I think it was an hour or more to get up there. They usually start that shuttle at 8am. Shuttles for other trails are generally 10. When we were there we did slick rock on day 1, mag 7 on day 2 and TWE in day 4. Mag 7 is a good one too. There’s a pretty epic climb towards the end and it’s a long long day so just be prepared for it. But most of the beginning is all flowy trails. That was the trail that dented my rim and forced me to go back to tubes. Beginning of the end... lol

Posted: May 11, 2018 at 16:54 Quote
I've used https://poisonspiderbicycles.com/bike-shuttles/ a few times, always worked out great.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2018 at 17:43 Quote
Theres a ride back to town to get your vehicle. Get the shuttle thats closest to the north.

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 3:30 Quote
Cheers guys.

Also, should I be worried about altitude at all? Being from the UK, I've only ever been over 4000ft when on holiday in the States and Canada!

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 16:09 Quote
jonny456 wrote:
Cheers guys.

Also, should I be worried about altitude at all? Being from the UK, I've only ever been over 4000ft when on holiday in the States and Canada!

It matters, and you will feel it. Don't worry, but certainly be in the best shape you can be, cardio-wise. Burro Pass is like 11,000 feet and you'll be starving for Oxygen.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009397
Mobile Version of Website