Big lad.. 29er wheel advice needed

PB Forum :: 29ers
Big lad.. 29er wheel advice needed
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 2, 2018 at 13:46 Quote
Hi guys, I've recently purchased a Trek Procaliber 6. As I'm approx 310lb I thought it would be worth selling on the lightweight wheels that came with it and have some heavier duty wheels made up.

Having done a small amount of research, I was thinking that the 32h Stans Arch Mk3 with Hope hubs would be OK. Not too heavy but apparently a very strong combo.

What do you think? Would you recommend anything else?

Thanks as always. D

Posted: May 11, 2018 at 9:41 Quote
My advice to you is this: Pick any reputable brand you happen to like (and the stuff you're thinking of is perfectly fine), go with straight pull spokes instead of J-bend (less/no spoke hole stretching), and MOST IMPORTANT.... choose a wheel builder who has a tensiometer, knows how to use it, and can tell you when their tensiometer was last checked/calibrated.

If your wheel builder doesn't use a tensiometer or does, but doesn't regularly have it checked for accuracy and/or recalibrated you're playing with fire. The bigger you are the more important spoke tension and uniformity become. All the best parts in the world won't save you from a crappy wheel build.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 11:12 Quote
very true. the best parts will not do much good if not put together well.

I am running the Flow rims laced up to I9 hubs, built by Colorado Cyclist. Been pleased, but I weigh a bit less at 220lbs.

Posted: Jun 18, 2018 at 6:36 Quote
I had Colorado Cyclist build me a Stan Flow MK3 with Dt Swiss 350 hub. Been riding on them for about 6 months and no problems at all. Wheel remains true. I am not easy on the wheel either. I am 5'10" and weight around 280lbs riding a Ragley Bigwig.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008503
Mobile Version of Website