Giant Reign vs YT Jefsy 27

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Giant Reign vs YT Jefsy 27
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: May 3, 2018 at 14:30 Quote
*crap the title should be Giant Trance vs YT Jefsy*

So, I'm stuck. I don't have a Jefsy I can ride. I've been on a 2005 Giant Reign for years and the Trance feels very similar, which is good and bad. I'd kind of like my new bike to feel new/different/better. I like that the Jefsy is longer and has the option of running 66.5 HA. I really want to have the more "enduro bike" feel of the Jefsy but I worry about how much it's going to give up climbing. I've read a few reviews that say it kind of wallow in its mid travel while climbing, resulting in a slack head angle and shitty feel. I live in Sooke BC and my local trails involve a lot of technical climbs and even the descents are punctuated by technical flat and short climbs. So I want the "funnest" bike, but it needs to be efficient pedaler to keep keep the flow going.

Thanks for any input.

Scott

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 16:11 Quote
buzam wrote:
*crap the title should be Giant Trance vs YT Jefsy*

So, I'm stuck. I don't have a Jefsy I can ride. I've been on a 2005 Giant Reign for years and the Trance feels very similar, which is good and bad. I'd kind of like my new bike to feel new/different/better. I like that the Jefsy is longer and has the option of running 66.5 HA. I really want to have the more "enduro bike" feel of the Jefsy but I worry about how much it's going to give up climbing. I've read a few reviews that say it kind of wallow in its mid travel while climbing, resulting in a slack head angle and shitty feel. I live in Sooke BC and my local trails involve a lot of technical climbs and even the descents are punctuated by technical flat and short climbs. So I want the "funnest" bike, but it needs to be efficient pedaler to keep keep the flow going.

Thanks for any input.

Scott

The Jeffsy 27 outperforms the Trance 27 in every conceivable way. The wallowing is a question of shock tune. Just make sure that you get one of the builds without the Monarch, or be ready to upgrade the shock as soon as you get it. I'm personally running a Topaz (on the 29), and it's incredible, but a lot of people are liking the Fox DPS eVol, or even coil shocks. Lots of good options, and it's a quiver-killer for sure.

Get the YT.

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 17:11 Quote
I own a Trance, so I guess it's fan-boy vs. fan-boy here, but there is no way the Jessy is better in every conceivable way. The Trance is a great bike, with a rock solid frame and great suspension It's a more nimble trail bike than some and rewards a rider that likes line choice and popping around. I hear the Jeffsy is of the same breed. I'd imagine both would work great for you and it's a shame you can't demo the Jeffsy.

Mine fits a full water bottle and I can rock over to the dealer down the road anytime I need something.

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 19:36 Quote
Hmmm, thanks guys

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 21:51 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
I own a Trance, so I guess it's fan-boy vs. fan-boy here, but there is no way the Jessy is better in every conceivable way. The Trance is a great bike, with a rock solid frame and great suspension It's a more nimble trail bike than some and rewards a rider that likes line choice and popping around. I hear the Jeffsy is of the same breed. I'd imagine both would work great for you and it's a shame you can't demo the Jeffsy.

Mine fits a full water bottle and I can rock over to the dealer down the road anytime I need something.

You found the 1 category a 2005 Trance outshines a Jeffsy, it holds a full size water bottle. Congrats.

Love Giant bikes, worked for a dealer for years and Trance is great, but a 2005 model can’t hold a candle to a Jeffsy.

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 8:34 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
I own a Trance, so I guess it's fan-boy vs. fan-boy here, but there is no way the Jessy is better in every conceivable way. The Trance is a great bike, with a rock solid frame and great suspension It's a more nimble trail bike than some and rewards a rider that likes line choice and popping around. I hear the Jeffsy is of the same breed. I'd imagine both would work great for you and it's a shame you can't demo the Jeffsy.

Mine fits a full water bottle and I can rock over to the dealer down the road anytime I need something.

You found the 1 category a 2005 Trance outshines a Jeffsy, it holds a full size water bottle. Congrats.

Love Giant bikes, worked for a dealer for years and Trance is great, but a 2005 model can’t hold a candle to a Jeffsy.

Okay, I stand corrected. The water bottle situation is better on the Trance .

Sticking by my guns on the rest, though. Yeah, I'm definitely a YT fanboy, but this isn't just a fanboy opinion. I've spent several hundred miles on the last two Trance generations, and over 1,000 on the Jeffsy (more on the 29, but plenty on the 27).

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 9:37 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
I own a Trance, so I guess it's fan-boy vs. fan-boy here, but there is no way the Jessy is better in every conceivable way. The Trance is a great bike, with a rock solid frame and great suspension It's a more nimble trail bike than some and rewards a rider that likes line choice and popping around. I hear the Jeffsy is of the same breed. I'd imagine both would work great for you and it's a shame you can't demo the Jeffsy.

Mine fits a full water bottle and I can rock over to the dealer down the road anytime I need something.

You found the 1 category a 2005 Trance outshines a Jeffsy, it holds a full size water bottle. Congrats.

Love Giant bikes, worked for a dealer for years and Trance is great, but a 2005 model can’t hold a candle to a Jeffsy.

um i don't think he's looking at buying a 2005 Trance.

The new trance and jeffsey are pretty similar and i don't think you could go wrong either way, both great trail bikes. i ride a 2016 Trance with a 150mm pike up front (gives it a 66.5 degree HA) and i have no problem keeping up on descents with my buddies on full blown enduro bikes. Then i smoke them on the climbs Big Grin

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 14:50 Quote
buzam wrote:
*crap the title should be Giant Trance vs YT Jefsy*

So, I'm stuck. I don't have a Jefsy I can ride. I've been on a 2005 Giant Reign for years and the Trance feels very similar, which is good and bad. I'd kind of like my new bike to feel new/different/better. I like that the Jefsy is longer and has the option of running 66.5 HA. I really want to have the more "enduro bike" feel of the Jefsy but I worry about how much it's going to give up climbing. I've read a few reviews that say it kind of wallow in its mid travel while climbing, resulting in a slack head angle and shitty feel. I live in Sooke BC and my local trails involve a lot of technical climbs and even the descents are punctuated by technical flat and short climbs. So I want the "funnest" bike, but it needs to be efficient pedaler to keep keep the flow going.

Thanks for any input.

Scott

I've owned a Jeffsy 27 (CF One) for just under a year now and demoed a 2017 Trance Advanced 1 before buying. My wife also rides a 2014 Trance 2 (older design) so I have some experience on both bikes.

My thoughts:
1) The Jeffsy is very progressive, this results in a lively/poppy feel on the trail and tends to resist harsh bottom outs. The Trance felt more muted and kind of mushy to me, it just didn't feel fun/exciting to ride. This was with the Fox Factory DPS on the Giant and the RS Deluxe RT3 on the YT. I don't know if it was the leverage curve or the shock tune, I only had one day on the Giant to be fair. Also I weigh 210lbs before gear so maybe the Giant didn't suit heavier dudes, I know their older bikes with the stupid short stroke shocks were not good for big guys but I thought they fixed it with the new rocker design.

2) Both climb well, but the Trance was a couple pounds lighter so it gets the edge there. I use the middle "Trail" mode on my RS Deluxe when climbing to get more LSC support. On really smooth fire roads I use the lock-out, same with the Pike up front. Honestly the Jeffsy is lightyears ahead of the 2011 Trek Scratch I used to climb on. I've done 1,800m 45km days in the Chilcotins and Whistler with no problem on the Jeffsy.

3) Trance was good on descents but felt more like a trail bike whereas the Jeffsy feels aggressive more toward enduro. I would say the Jeffsy felt similar to a Transition Scout, just a nice stiff stable predictable feel when descending. The Trance felt more XC-like, probably because of the stupid 70mm stem and narrow bars. The lighter weight of the Trance may have factored into this, Jeffsy feels more stout.

4) 2017 Trance had a horrible cockpit setup, something like 70mm stem and 750mm bar on size large which ruined the feel on trail, I think they fixed this in 2018 otherwise you need to spend money to fix it.

5) 2017 Trance in Canada also had garbage Nobby Nic OEM tires, useless in coastal BC.

6) Jeffsy cannot fit a standard water bottle which sucks, I bought the YT cage/bottle combo for $80 which is 500ml. Good enough for 1-2 hour after work rides but a full bottle would be nice... Trance can fit that.

Summary: both are good bikes, Trance gets the edge in climbing from me but the Jeffsy is a better descender. Both are good value in Canada. I vote Jeffsy for all arounder coastal BC bike. I ride everything except Whistler Bike Park and Cypress with it, I use my DH bike at those places.

Posted: May 4, 2018 at 20:08 Quote
Wow, thanks for the great review!

Order a Jeffsy 27 AL Comp this morning! Can't wait to get it. Smile

Posted: May 6, 2018 at 13:38 Quote
I spent the past weekend in Utah riding my 2017 Jeffsy and my bro’s 2017 Trance advanced-2.

I’d say the bikes are fairly similar, probably more the same than different. I’d take the Jeffsy for going downhills, the trance for technical climbing. But I kept up with my bro going downhill while he was riding the Jeffsy and I was on the trance. And I kept up with him climbing (for the most part) aboard the Jeffsy with him on his trance.

I think the Jeffsy climbs great actually, about as well as the Trance. And the trance descends quite well. I did notice the difference in reach between the two, though my bro had an 800mm bar on a 50mm stem so it wasn’t huge.

Both great bikes, i don’t think there’s a wrong choice to be made here.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018556
Mobile Version of Website