2017 5010c Upgrade Path

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
2017 5010c Upgrade Path
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 5, 2018 at 22:00 Quote
I bought a new 5010 at the end of last year when they were closing out the '17 models. Even though I haven't put much time on it yet, I'm getting the itch to upgrade it. I've got all my contact points right (finally), so my question is-
i9 Enduro 305 wheels, or upgrade the fork and shock?

I think the wheels are going to give me the best bang for the buck, but I would like to hear some thoughts.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 14:45 Quote
Which 5010 build did you buy? That's the first starting point. From there what you want to upgrade depends on what you're looking to get out of your bike. Do you want a bike that's lighter? Do you want it to be burlier? What don't you like about it so far?

Posted: May 10, 2018 at 18:28 Quote
stonant wrote:
Which 5010 build did you buy? That's the first starting point. From there what you want to upgrade depends on what you're looking to get out of your bike. Do you want a bike that's lighter? Do you want it to be burlier? What don't you like about it so far?

Thanks for the reply. All good questions;
It's the 2017 5010c R1 build, which I think was the entry-level "c" build, in a 1x setup.
I don't care about weight so much; this old man won't be winning any races anytime soon.
As far as where I actually ride, I am in NE PA, so plenty of rocks. Everywhere.

Also, I am just getting back into riding after a nearly 20 year hiatus.

The suspension seems to leave a bit to be desired, especially out back. But, a set of new wheels will allow me slightly meatier tires, as well as quicker engagement.

Of course the smart thing is to probably put more time on the bike. Thoughts?

Posted: May 14, 2018 at 8:58 Quote
I dented/broke my stock wheels pretty early on so I built up some a high-POE(point of engagement) wheelset that was larger in width fairly early on. The stock rear shock sucks but it keeps the bike playful. I upgraded/built a wheelset, got carbon handlebars, shorter stem, larger front rotor (203mm, but I’m a heavy guy) and upgraded my fork (had vorsprung luftkappe installed) over the past two years. Will probably install a new rear shock within the next year or so and that will be all for me.

More time on the bike is always a good thing. Take the time to play with volume spacers and pressure in both front and rear suspension to dial it in as much as possible.

Posted: May 22, 2018 at 18:22 Quote
stonant wrote:
I dented/broke my stock wheels pretty early on so I built up some a high-POE(point of engagement) wheelset that was larger in width fairly early on. The stock rear shock sucks but it keeps the bike playful. I upgraded/built a wheelset, got carbon handlebars, shorter stem, larger front rotor (203mm, but I’m a heavy guy) and upgraded my fork (had vorsprung luftkappe installed) over the past two years. Will probably install a new rear shock within the next year or so and that will be all for me.

More time on the bike is always a good thing. Take the time to play with volume spacers and pressure in both front and rear suspension to dial it in as much as possible.

Finding time is always the hard part! I think I just found a great deal on a set of Stan's Flow rims laced up to i9 hubs, so I am considering that. Will definitely keep riding and tweaking.

Thanks again for the response, and sorry for the late reply.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008290
Mobile Version of Website