2017 giant liv hail-- brutal noise

PB Forum :: Giant
2017 giant liv hail-- brutal noise
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 18:26 Quote
I bought a 2017 giant liv hail 2 last year. Its a super fun bike to ride and definitely a step up from my 2006 giant reign. My only issue is this annoying knocking or creaking noise, coming from somewhere near the seat post which has happened since I bought it. I've taken it to the shop 6 or 7 times now to have them fix it, the last time i was there they replaced the dropper post. The noise went away!!! For about 5 rides, and now its back, and as loud as ever. Im really frustrated... Does Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should i be badgering the bike shop to fix it or just put up with it? I know its only a creak, but its so loud that ppl riding with me can hear it. Not really sure what to do now?

Posted: May 6, 2018 at 18:46 Quote
Creaking is notoriously difficult to diagnose.

Sometime you just need to tear the bike apart and do a full rebuild. clean, lube and torque everything to spec.

frame/shock pivots and bearings, bottom brackets and chain rings can all creak if worn and or dirty. Seat posts can creak in the frame if they are not torqued properly. its a challenging journey.

Posted: May 6, 2018 at 19:59 Quote
Hey, thanks for the reply. My bike mechanicing skills are definitely not up for the challenge of a rebuild.. I get that its difficult to locate a creak, Im just not sure what to do now.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 7:21 Quote
If you trust the shop, go back tell them the noise is still there.

If a noise isn't readily diagnose-able or reproducible on a stand, and resolving the noise is your primary concern, they should do complete overhaul on the bike, tear down and rebuild. May or may not include things like new bearings and BB ..depending on the amount of use the bike had it may just need to be cleaned, lubed and torqued.

That said, if you have gone back 6 or 7 times, and all they really did was replace a dropper post in your quest to resolve the noise, they may be failing you.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 7:24 Quote
can you reproduce the noise with the bike in a stand? does it creak all the time? or only when seated? is the noise related to your pedal rotation or suspension activation. If you grab the linkages, seat-post, cranks,pedals can you feel any play in these parts?

What kind of service was preformed on the bike in the last 7 shop visits? was the bike well ridden when you bought it? did the previous own have any service preformed on the bike? was it a shop sale or a private sale?

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 12:03 Quote
Well I bought the bike brand new from the shop, and I've been taking it back to the shop I bought it from. As for the service they've done, theyve regreased and checked the bearings and honestly, i don't remember what they've all done, but they finally put a new seat post on, thinking it was the dropper post. They replaced it on warranty. I ride it moderately, i go over little jumps and down rocky bits, nothing too crazy. The noise has been there since I bought it brand new. I can replicate the noise by pushing on the seat post, doesn't seem to matter where the pedals are, so long as im sitting on the seat.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 12:26 Quote
Well i used to be able to replicate the noise by pushing on the seat, but can't seem to do it after the dropper post was replaced. All the staff at the shop have heard the noise.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 12:58 Quote
Take the seat off and grease the rails, take the bolt out that you tighten to clamp the rails, and grease it too. I bet that would resolve it... and its a super easy thing you can do at home.

Another thing to look at would be the seat rails themselves. sometimes the rails can move within the seat body, they are not supposed to, but if they do it would also make a sound.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 13:07 Quote
Just a thought, does the dropper where it inserts into the frame have any grease on it..? If not, there should be a light coat of grease on there, or it could creak.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 19:43 Quote
This is great! Thanks for all the input!

The last time I was in the shop, they actually put a different seat on it, before swapping out dropper posts, and it still made the noise. When the frame itself is pressed down there's no noise, its only when there's direct pressure coming down from the seat, and thats why they replaced the dropper post. It sounds like its coming from the seat tube or the shock and seems to happen at a certain area when the seat is pressed... If that makes sense?

O+
Posted: May 7, 2018 at 21:33 Quote
My trance creaked super bad new, ended up being that the frame had dirt in it between the dropper. Took the dropper out cleaned it up and put grease in. No more creak. Even though nothing was ever wrong with the bike it used to drive me absoloutely insane to listen to.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009186
Mobile Version of Website