Overcoming My Worst MTB Crash Yet

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Overcoming My Worst MTB Crash Yet
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 6, 2018 at 20:49 Quote
https://youtu.be/OFy6TzflRXs

Finding time to get out and ride seems to be a rarity as of late. Let alone bringing the camera and editing afterwards. However, I often wonder if there isn't something else that is influencing my decision to get out and ride. A few months back I had one of my worst crashes yet on the mountain bike. Could that moment be in the back of my mind when I am asked to join friends on a ride?

Has a crash ever impacted your decision to ride?

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 13:25 Quote
Nope, your just being a lazy c*nt because you stopped pushing your limits and therefore have less motivation.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 20:19 Quote
Maybe the crash is stuck in your head because in the back of your mind you dont think the risk is worth it?

All I got to say is if you love to ride.. you want to ride.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 20:33 Quote
Go for a ride with someone crazier than you are, and just send it. You gotta rip off that bandaid and push your limits again.

Posted: May 7, 2018 at 23:50 Quote
I smacked my head off a rock hard enough to give myself a mild concussion and stayed off the bike for 2-3 weeks (should have probably been 2-3 months). When I got back to it even dropping into a relatively easy trail for me I felt like I was having a panic attack. My brain was definitely going sooo why are we doing this again?

That being said there was never any question as to why I was resisting. I was fully aware that I was scared. So if you can't answer that question yourself I'm going with lazy as well.

Posted: May 8, 2018 at 12:11 Quote
20 years ago in 1998, I had my worst crash. I did an unintentional half front flip over a 15 double jump. I knocked my self out, dislocated my shoulder and knee cap, and got a bad concussion. That was the good news, bad news.... two fractured vertabrae and something called spinal shock. The medics thought I would be paralysed from the neck down for life, and I flew to hospital in a helicopter. Thankfully, my spinal cord was not damaged, just compressed by swelling (spinal shock). Paralysed from the neck down for 36 hours, then the swelling went down and the spinal cord could do its job again. I rode my bike again for the first time just 2 weeks after the crash, and rode properly again within 2 months. You better believe it affected my riding, especially my motivation to do jumps, I still have to psyche myself up to jump 20 years later. But I just love riding. You need to get back on the horse and do the thing you love, yes, you need to consider the risks and maybe walk trails before you send it, but you can't let a bad crash stop you. Turn it into a positive experience, learn from it, learn what you did wrong and you will grow as a rider. Sorry for the long post. Go ride, you won't regret it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009075
Mobile Version of Website